• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] The Sol

I love the sol. A low flick hyzerflip is so easy with this disc and it carries well. Holds a decent really low speed anny line and like you said, you can get a decent slow turnover when thrown flat. Super easy to throw. I only have the AR versions though

I also throw and really enjoy the ace race version of the SOL. The production run came out a bit domey and more stable. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I prefer the flat feel and the grip of the soft ESP plastic in the ace race.

I also throw and really enjoy the ace race version of the SOL. The production run came out a bit domey and more stable. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I prefer the flat feel and the grip of the soft ESP plastic in the ace race.
Hmmm. I have four ace race ESP Sols and three production Z Sols, all of my Z's are noticeably less stable for me than the ESP's. I use them for low-speed turnover approach touch shots, and the ESP's for me fight out of the turn a bit where the Z's just turn over and glide. When I mess up a shot with the ESP Sol it's generally a shot I just didn't get over; when I mess up with the Z it's usually a shot I blow past the basket by 50'.

Results may vary...

Hmmm. I have four ace race ESP Sols and three production Z Sols, all of my Z's are noticeably less stable for me than the ESP's. I use them for low-speed turnover approach touch shots, and the ESP's for me fight out of the turn a bit where the Z's just turn over and glide. When I mess up a shot with the ESP Sol it's generally a shot I just didn't get over; when I mess up with the Z it's usually a shot I blow past the basket by 50'.

Results may vary...

That is strange indeed. Every single ace race ESP Sol I've thrown has been very understable. They're more touch discs than anything else. At full power I really have to exaggerate the hyzer and nose angles to keep them from turning and burning. Every Z Sol I've thrown I've been able to throw full power and not worry about it turning/burning like ESP.

That is strange indeed. Every single ace race ESP Sol I've thrown has been very understable. They're more touch discs than anything else. At full power I really have to exaggerate the hyzer and nose angles to keep them from turning and burning. Every Z Sol I've thrown I've been able to throw full power and not worry about it turning/burning like ESP.
I almost never throw one at full power. At full power they are both quite flippy/unpredictable for me and I'll throw a beat Roc or something like that if I'm that far out. I'm really just using it as a touch turnover disc throwing low-speed approach shots with it.

The only time I would have been trying to throw it full power would have been at the Ace Race, which I have absolutely no memory of.

I was on Paige Pierce's chat line and told her my age and playing experience and slower arm speed and she immediately told me to try the Sol. I ordered 2 Z first run discs and just had time to throw it a few times today, I like it! Temperatures are supposed to be up in the 40's tomorrow and I'm looking forward to playing alot more with it.:thmbup:

Is the Sol not a good disc off the tee? Is it too US to put an X-step into?

I keep bouncing back & forth between Comets & Meteors. I'm willing to give one a try if they can be thrown off the tee for hyzer flips in the woods without it turn & burning.

I'm an older guy with lower arm speed that drives from standing position. The Sol could probably be easily over powered with a stronger arm.

I'm an older guy with lower arm speed that drives from standing position. The Sol could probably be easily over powered with a stronger arm.

I love how the Meteor feels in my hand but for me it has a speed requirement that throws me off sometimes. I can finesse my Comets really well but compared to a Meteor they feel so awkward.

Guess I was wondering if the Sol has that Comet speed/flight but with a more comfortable feel.

I keep bouncing back & forth between Comets & Meteors. I'm willing to give one a try if they can be thrown off the tee for hyzer flips in the woods without it turn & burning.

I X-step using a Z Sol, though I am not the most powerful thrower. Thrown flat I will get a straight flight for 250' followed by a turning phase for 50-70' and ending with a flat landing.
With a touch of anhyzer and some height I will get a big right arch for 320' with a gliding landing.
Hyzer-flips I haven't used to many times, but when l have it flattens out, turns a touch and fades a touch at the end. About 280-300'. 20' less than a good Comet throw for me.

For me it is easier than a Comet and more controllable than a Meteor. You just have to be fine with the smaller diameter.

Hyzer flip turnovers is the shot I use the Sol for.

Just got a 175g Z Sol in the mail. It didn't take me long to see that it's too understable for my arm. Seems like a very good beginner disc but it flip & dipped on me every time. I wanted to see if I could get laser's out of it but nah.

Just got a 175g Z Sol in the mail. It didn't take me long to see that it's too understable for my arm. Seems like a very good beginner disc but it flip & dipped on me every time. I wanted to see if I could get laser's out of it but nah.

I agree that it is a beginner disc if you're talking about throwing it at full power but for those who fancy finesse, it might be a winner.

I generally wouldn't recommend an under stable, low speed disc for full power shots. At +/-60% it is certainly capable of touch flip to flat lasers. That's what I use it for most. If I want or need to put more power into a similar, likely longer, shot I pull the max weight Meteor.

Discs like the Sol are all about speed control and angle of release. If you prefer the power approach, this probably isn't the disc for you. Sorry to hear it didn't work out.

I've been throwing this disc for the last 3 months and absolutely love it!:clap: Gonna have to have one with her stamp on it.:)

She's throwing it with hyzer. I'm pretty sure the -3,0 kicks in when thrown flat.

Sure, but it´s not like she throws it at an extreme 45° super hyzer . . at 92m a speed 4 disc with a -3 would be more US than that.. . that looks more like a 4, 5, -2, 0,5 flight

But the Discraft -0,5 feels correct ( i sometimes think Discraft makes the "4-numbers" way of on purpose )

But i think the "turn" number is often way of. .. i mean Barsby throws the -4 Roadrunner +100m with a small hyzer flip to dead straight

She's throwing it with hyzer. I'm pretty sure the -3,0 kicks in when thrown flat.

She makes it pretty clear those particular ones are slightly more stable than regular z sols and her signature sol will be made to have that stability

Latest posts