• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] The Sol

My Z SOL flies very very similar to a Mako for me. Less stable than my Truth, more stable than my Warrant.

My star mako3 flew very much like a beefier AR sol, so I tried swapping in the mako3 for slightly longer duties than I'd use the sol for, but I changed my mind again tonight after fooling around with my sols.

I only have the AR versions (all in the 167-173 weight) and the only shot I use it for is low height hyzer flip FH, and I love it in the 120-180 foot range now.

What I don't understand: I was throwing the same shot over and over (56 meters or 184 feet using a laser range finder on perfectly level ground) but right before finishing, it would either turn back over or it would fade. Same shot, flick hyzer, flip to flat, sail dead straight the same distance and then... MYSTERY ENDING!
Is it possible that a slight gust of wind is enough to change it? Like a slight headwind will cause it to turn over and a slight tailwind would cause it to fade? The numbers on turn and fade are -2/1.

On other discs that I regularly flip (such as the heat), I know that my 165 z-heat will always turn over at the end, whereas my heavy z-flx heat always fades at the end. But I am not getting that predictability with my sol...?

I got a first run z Sol in my mystery box. My first impressions is I love the feel in my hand of this disc. I like to jump putt from 60+ with a us mid. And I have a buzzz ss for that but I like how gildey the Sol is. Another thing I wasn't expecting was how well I can forehand the Sol. It's the same speed as a zone idk why this is considered a mid while the zone is a putter. But I think I'm going to like this to compliment my zone. Idk how well it will do off the tee that has yet to be seen but for dead straight approaches it's found a spot in my bag for now. Also I do not agree with the -3 turn rating it has especially in z. I would give it more of a -1.

Another thing I wasn't expecting was how well I can forehand the Sol...Also I do not agree with the -3 turn rating it has especially in z. I would give it more of a -1.

I think the -3 is correct for the AR, because it's the easiest disc I have to turn over. But at the same time, it's a short range hyzer flip stud. It's my de-facto tunnel shot disc because it's so easy to flip with a low flick and go dead straight. I kind of hope to get one in my mystery box just to try it in z.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got done with my lastest round with the Sol. We played the most wooded course in our town. I'm loving this disc. I wanted to throw this disc on every hole. I had a nice anny forehand throw that I got up and down for par after a horrible tee shot.

Am I really the first one to notice that the Sol is actually an OOP disc brought back to life? I know the Breeze was a stupid name, but I bagged the disc for years as a short turnover and fh approach disc. They may have re-tooled for the Sol, but I think that the Sol is the Breeze. Feels exactly the same.

I think Breeze is a better name than sol. I get that they went with the sol/luna pairing but still. I still haven't tried an actual sol, because I have 4 AR ones, and it's my favorite disc

I really hope they release the Sol in esp or x. Z plastic is fine but I really prefer esp for feel/grip.

I really hope they release the Sol in esp or x. Z plastic is fine but I really prefer esp for feel/grip.

That's why I keep using the AR version, it's like esp but maybe even softer, almost like esp flx

I think that maybe as I'm getting old as dirt the feeling in my fingers isn't like it was when I was younger since grip seems to be a total non-issue with me anymore. I can't really feel much difference from the Z Sol to the Ace Race disc unless the disc is wet, and that's what towels are for. Unless it is actively raining it's no big deal to me anymore. The Z turns easier at low speeds and is easier for me to finesse, so it kicked the ESP ones out of the bag. I really like the flight of the Z Sol a lot as a touch approach/short turnover drive disc.

What I was thinking was that I probably need to get some backups because unless I lose it the Z that I'm throwing is going to last forever and it's going to go OOP from low sales when people like me never buy another one.

Am I really the first one to notice that the Sol is actually an OOP disc brought back to life? I know the Breeze was a stupid name, but I bagged the disc for years as a short turnover and fh approach disc. They may have re-tooled for the Sol, but I think that the Sol is the Breeze. Feels exactly the same.

was thinking the same thing. haven't held a breeze in years but when i picked up a z sol my first thought was did they rerealse the breeze. when i had the ar i didn't notice but in z yeah same disc.

I mean they were both Ace Race discs (15 years apart) and the Breeze went OOP in the great 2007 purge so they had been off the market for a decade. It makes sense that Discraft might take another shot at that kind of disc and it makes sense that the resulting disc would seem similar.

The thing that makes me doubt that it is simply a tweak of the Breeze mold is that the Breeze was a 21.3 cm diameter disc and the Sol is a 21.1 cm diameter disc. You can tweak a mold to make a larger disc, but you don't add material back to a mold to make a smaller disc.

The thing that makes me doubt that it is simply a tweak of the Breeze mold is that the Breeze was a 21.3 cm diameter disc and the Sol is a 21.1 cm diameter disc. You can tweak a mold to make a larger disc, but you don't add material back to a mold to make a smaller disc.

I was going to check the specs to see if they matched. This certainly suggests a different mold. Then again I've had Comets of different plastics stacked next to one another in my bag and could see and feel that they were different sizes due to different amounts of shrinkage of the different plastics. Stiff Z Comets were always bigger(almost felt like ultrastars) and X Comets the smallest. The old Breezes were the good old indestructible stiff Z plastic, and the Sol is soft and grippy in comparison. This could be a possible explanation for the spec difference.

I was going to check the specs to see if they matched. This certainly suggests a different mold. Then again I've had Comets of different plastics stacked next to one another in my bag and could see and feel that they were different sizes due to different amounts of shrinkage of the different plastics. Stiff Z Comets were always bigger(almost felt like ultrastars) and X Comets the smallest. The old Breezes were the good old indestructible stiff Z plastic, and the Sol is soft and grippy in comparison. This could be a possible explanation for the spec difference.
I mean anything is possible. Z Comets you can tell are larger now than the 21.8cm Tournament Pro Comets that were approved because Champ/Z is dense and packs out the mold while Tournament Pro shrunk quite a bit. Also the Sol that was approved was an ESP Ace Race disc, which may be slightly smaller. Not sure if it's .2cm smaller, though. Who knows?

I think that maybe as I'm getting old as dirt the feeling in my fingers isn't like it was when I was younger since grip seems to be a total non-issue with me anymore. I can't really feel much difference from the Z Sol to the Ace Race disc unless the disc is wet, and that's what towels are for. Unless it is actively raining it's no big deal to me anymore. The Z turns easier at low speeds and is easier for me to finesse, so it kicked the ESP ones out of the bag. I really like the flight of the Z Sol a lot as a touch approach/short turnover drive disc.

What I was thinking was that I probably need to get some backups because unless I lose it the Z that I'm throwing is going to last forever and it's going to go OOP from low sales when people like me never buy another one.

Heh, that's why I bought several AR backups, didn't consider if the z were to go oop.. I should probably get one, but that just means I'll fall in love with that too and feel obligated to stock up

Heh, that's why I bought several AR backups, didn't consider if the z were to go oop.. I should probably get one, but that just means I'll fall in love with that too and feel obligated to stock up
I mean I'm throwing it so I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't foresee the Sol hanging around very long. It's a lot like a Breeze and the Breeze lasted like four years. It's like the anti-Zone and I just don't see it getting very popular.

FWIW I hated the Breeze so it's funny that 15 years later I'm digging essentially the same disc. 15 years ago I had a five mold limit and forced my beat-up Aviars to cover what I'm doing with the Sol. The Breeze was too much of a one-trick pony/specialty use disc you don't have a spot for if you are minimizing your molds. I never really gave it a chance.

I've got a sol on the way. I actually just recently lost my beat up X comet and a mako3. Also kind of fell in love with the patrol which I found out is getting discontinued. So hopefully the sol will somehow replace those 3. Lol.

I've got a sol on the way. I actually just recently lost my beat up X comet and a mako3. Also kind of fell in love with the patrol which I found out is getting discontinued. So hopefully the sol will somehow replace those 3. Lol.

Let us know how it does. I'm also bagging the Patrol and will need a replacement as the Patrol is going OOP (and it's not like the Patrol is the bee's' knees for me, either...)

Eh, the Sol is a putter/mid tweener. The Patrol is (was) more of a traditional straight-up mid, although it's so flippy that you probably could still get it to turn at low speeds and use it as a turnover approach disc. I don't think the Sol has anywhere near the distance potential of a Comet (or a Mako3 for that matter.) To me it really is the Bizarro World Zone; why the Zone is a putter and the Sol is a mid is a mystery to me.

Eh, the Sol is a putter/mid tweener. The Patrol is (was) more of a traditional straight-up mid, although it's so flippy that you probably could still get it to turn at low speeds and use it as a turnover approach disc. I don't think the Sol has anywhere near the distance potential of a Comet (or a Mako3 for that matter.) To me it really is the Bizarro World Zone; why the Zone is a putter and the Sol is a mid is a mystery to me.

How do you use the sol? Is it specifically an approach disc for you? Or an understable utility disc?