• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] The Sol

How do you use the sol? Is it specifically an approach disc for you? Or an understable utility disc?
It is primarily an approach disc for me because that's the hole in my game. For whatever reason, I've never been able to effectively cycle putters and get one to turn at low speeds without fighting back, so at some point I gave up and just started throwing an XD in that slot. The Sol for me is a straight-up XD replacement.

I have always been able to cycle Rocs or Comets into a turnover mid so I don't so much have a reason to use it in that slot. I've used it a little bit on short turnover drives and it does that, but I haven't really dialed that shot in. For all of my "get out of jail" shots I use a Scale; the Sol doesn't really fit in with how I've learned to throw those shots.

Eh, the Sol is a putter/mid tweener. The Patrol is (was) more of a traditional straight-up mid, although it's so flippy that you probably could still get it to turn at low speeds and use it as a turnover approach disc. I don't think the Sol has anywhere near the distance potential of a Comet (or a Mako3 for that matter.) To me it really is the Bizarro World Zone; why the Zone is a putter and the Sol is a mid is a mystery to me.

Nailed it with the Bizarro World Zone... Or to celebrate today's season 3 release of stranger things 3 it's the zone in the upside down.
I love both discs in my ever increasing forehand heavy game. Both are comfortable to grip, I lean on the zone for a straight shot with solid fade at the end, I lean on the sol for a low straight hyzer flip that turns over at the very end, even though it will sometimes fade instead. But I keep that shot as low to the ground as possible which mostly eliminates the unpredictable finish. I also use the sol for relatively slow fh annys because I don't have a better disc to make that shot that I know of. It's rare that I actually need that shot though because a backhand hyzer zone is way easier to execute. I throw the sol fh exclusively right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scored a first run Sol in a trade and threw it in the bag for a round today. Not really a fan; I had a tough time finding what it was good at. Not really a finesse disc that you can throw like a putter (What I was expecting).

. I also use the sol for relatively slow fh annys because I don't have a better disc to make that shot that I know of. It's rare that I actually need that shot though because a backhand hyzer zone is way easier to execute. I throw the sol fh exclusively right now

That's a shot I've been doing with the Comet. Sometimes being able to make a wide reach with a forehand is a lifesaver in the woods. And it's glidey enough to carry when footing is too awkward to get much oomph on a throw.

That's a shot I've been doing with the Comet. Sometimes being able to make a wide reach with a forehand is a lifesaver in the woods. And it's glidey enough to carry when footing is too awkward to get much oomph on a throw.

A lot of folks have compared it to a comet. I've never thrown one but I got each of my kids a lightweight one, but I loved the sol so much I also picked up an ar sol for each of them.

A lot of folks have compared it to a comet. I've never thrown one but I got each of my kids a lightweight one, but I loved the sol so much I also picked up an ar sol for each of them.

At least for low-intermediate players like me that's an underrated shot to have in the bag whichever disc you find does it for you. Some of those shots I'm just so much more confident throwing a forehand from a reach instead of worrying about hitting the tree right in front of me trying to throw a backhand hyzer.

It's a shorter comet that doesn't power down very well either. It's an awkward tweener, because if I need to step down from throwing a short comet shot. I'll just reach for a putter then. Great beginner Disc however though. Or a solo disc round to work on BH + FH form.

Felt one the other day and it felt like a breeze. Didn't throw it but the fella that was was beaming shots thru the trees just like a breeze.

Got my sol In the mail today and it feels great in a forehand grip. Can't wait to try it out. I've been looking for a nice understable mid for forehand hyzer flips

Got my sol In the mail today and it feels great in a forehand grip. Can't wait to try it out. I've been looking for a nice understable mid for forehand hyzer flips

That's my go to shot, and this disc is great for it, but watch the wind!

Ugh, I thought I was going to like the sol. It even feels great in the hand. Something about it just doesn't vibe with me. The patrol did the same things I hoped the sol could do but better.

915249caceca56d596f1775ab5544407.jpg

Well, I guess that confirms the link between the breeze and the sol!

Finally got me an ace race Sol. This esp plastic is definitely has a different feel than the most recent runs of esp.

Ugh, I thought I was going to like the sol. It even feels great in the hand. Something about it just doesn't vibe with me. The patrol did the same things I hoped the sol could do but better.

Patrol is faster. On short woods courses, I carry the Sol. On longer ones,Patrol.

Different folks are going to like different discs.
For me having smaller hands the Sol works more consistently than other US mids like the Stingray, Comet, Meteor, & Tursas. As a max 350' thrower I can get the Sol to 300', so it fills the gap up where I would use an US driver.

Threw a buddies Sol a few times. I dont like it at all.
Touch discs are hit and miss. You have to click with them. They have to feel right and what they do has to match up with how you throw yada yada yada... Meathooks are easy, everybody can throw the same meathook. Touch discs are...touchy? I'm doing well with the Sol, but I can see where it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Meat hooks are handy if their is an object and you need to park it. Otherwise I'd use a Cobra star plastic

Touch discs are hit and miss. You have to click with them. They have to feel right and what they do has to match up with how you throw yada yada yada... Meathooks are easy, everybody can throw the same meathook. Touch discs are...touchy? I'm doing well with the Sol, but I can see where it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Agree with this. The issue arises when I am faced with a turnover shot where woods completely stop any hyzer shot, and I'm not good enough with the forehand to throw that shot, plus I don't want the skip or strong fade the hyzer forehand might produce. So the question is which understable 'arrow' best fits the 'archer's' bow, and should be in the quiver. I'm using the Patrol, but am not satisfied with it at all. Maybe I'll try the Sol...

Anybody with any idea whether Discraft will make a production Sol in another plastic than Z any time soon? I am holding out for a JB or ESP, but will pick up another Z if that is all there will be.