• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Temple Of ROC!!!!

Anyone know which rocs are older... the ones that say "midrange" or "multi-purpose"? I'm thinking it's "midrange" but I'm not 100%.

martinb said:
well, now that i have my stash of ontario rocs delivered, i can now say that the ontario roc mold is being retired. if you like domey less stable rocs that glide well and hold the turnover line then grab em while you can. :( i was bummed when i heard that......

Where did you hear that the Ontario mold was being retired?

I saw my dubs partner throwing McBeth Champ Roc yesterday in the wind and it looked to fly great. He says that for him underpowered it flies straight and if he uses full power it gets unpredictable sometimes flipping a little and sometimes not. The disc had some molding imperfection in having a small dip in the wing. He is a power thrower. In the cold weather he threw an AJ Star Destroyer on the island hole in Tali to 530'. It starts with an anny and the disc probably landed flat or with a very mild hyzer. I don't know how far exactly he could throw. Had i remembered the existence of this disc i would have bought it at the store and now i know what to look for with the store credit he won for our team. The disc looked like a regular DX Rancho Roc in shape. Nice.

JR said:
I saw my dubs partner throwing McBeth Champ Roc yesterday in the wind and it looked to fly great. He says that for him underpowered it flies straight and if he uses full power it gets unpredictable sometimes flipping a little and sometimes not. The disc had some molding imperfection in having a small dip in the wing. He is a power thrower. In the cold weather he threw an AJ Star Destroyer on the island hole in Tali to 530'. It starts with an anny and the disc probably landed flat or with a very mild hyzer. I don't know how far exactly he could throw. Had i remembered the existence of this disc i would have bought it at the store and now i know what to look for with the store credit he won for our team. The disc looked like a regular DX Rancho Roc in shape. Nice.

Interesting... a regular production champ Roc that's not the plus mold.

edit: I should have checked around first, they are pretty expensive.

Can someone please tell me why I haven't been throwing Rocs for the past ~2 years!? Good god, I forgot how awesome Rocs are!

What's the best kind of Rocs nowadays? I've only really thrown the 11x. Was using a buddies pumpkin (dx?) and it was flying amazing.

Stick with 11x? Have like ~30 in storage. Broke 3 money ones 2 winters ago was the reason I switched to the Buzzz. :cry:
Flat Top?
DX?
Glow?
Who cares all rocs are awesome?

Apparently I have been drunk the last 2 years, but have finally sobered up and am back on the Roc.

Heresy in the temple use both. From looks the McBeth Roc could be the best and man they've introduced a lot of variation even within plastics in Rocs recently. Another pro for your older stack and the Buzzes. Buzzes are more LSS in Glo Z variant and Zs are longer and all Buzzes turn sideways much faster than Rocs so you have ranging and quick turn benefits with the Buzz and placement benefits with minor sideways movements with the Rocs. A degree off of intended produces a lot of sideways miss with the Buzz not with the Roc. So you have both small increment sideways placement with the Roc and the tight turns and long flight with the Buzz. Or the Coyote, Warship... you get the point.

So do most roc users generally use the climo "fork grip"? What is the advantage of that grip over say a 4 finger power grip ?(I use a 4 finger power grip with the pressure on my finger pads) Is it control or can some people just not throw rocs with a power grip? I was watching a climo vid and he demonstrated the grip. It feels really weird to me and when I throw rocs I've always done so with a power grip.

I have trouble with Rocs and a power grip. Frankly, I only use a power grip on drivers while driving for distance off of the tee.

I started using somewhat of a modified Climo fork grip with Rocs, mainly because the power grip feels weird against their super thin rim. Really gotten used to this grip and now throw almost all my shots inside the 300 range in this way. Way more comfortable and much more control for me. :thumbup:

If you squeeze tightly in the power grip and have a small to medium hand chances are that the bottom of the bead scrapes the fingers and just as the disc is about to leave off axis torque is introduced to flip the disc. Climo grip has fewer fingers in the most compromising position so the chance of an unclean release is smaller.

JR said:
If you squeeze tightly in the power grip and have a small to medium hand chances are that the bottom of the bead scrapes the fingers and just as the disc is about to leave off axis torque is introduced to flip the disc. Climo grip has fewer fingers in the most compromising position so the chance of an unclean release is smaller.
Note that this is only an issue if you happen to have vagina skin on your hands, Actual man hands need not worry.

Latest posts