• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

thumb placement before you throw

elmexdela

* Ace Member *
i was lookin on disc golf reviews grip section about proper grip.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/gripittoripit.shtml

all of it makes sense and is good stuff. but where do you place your thumb for the pressure point on the disc for driving. if your holding the disc right out in front of you and before you even start your wind up or doing any steps, where is your thumb at? say if you can read the disc name straight on is your pressure at 1 o clock? 2 or 3 o clock perhaps?

i was using my thumb pressure around a 3 o clock grip before but tried out a mix between 1 and 2 o clock today and was getting some nice lasers maybe due to keeping the nose more down which was a problem i had been having lately.

so whats the trick/secret?

Your thumb should be right over your pinch point with your pointer finger or over your first knuckle. One thing I think to think about more importantly is gripping tightly with your pinkie, wring finger, and middle finger. These are where your real strength are. Squeeze tight with these three and your thumb and pointer finger will fall into place.

Maybe I'm weird, but I just don't think it makes sense to talk about gripping a circular disc on its clock positions. Simply changing the bend in your wrist changes the clock position your thumb is at. So, saying you put the pressure at 1 or 2 oclock is meaningless. Sorry, just had to get that off my chest.

Your thumb pinches with your index finger to create a pivot point. That is 70% of the grip, right there. The remaining 3 fingers are really just there to keep the disc in a stable position in your hand.

3pkt9u.jpg

i saw some people at the last tourny i was at gripping it different. i wasnt sure if it made a difference. so yes changing the position changes the bend. i was wondering if there was a good bend, or does it not matter and keep the wrist straight and your all good?

Your thumb should be right over your pinch point with your pointer finger or over your first knuckle. One thing I think to think about more importantly is gripping tightly with your pinkie, wring finger, and middle finger. These are where your real strength are. Squeeze tight with these three and your thumb and pointer finger will fall into place.

This reminds me of ball golf. When I address my lie, I have to make sure my grip is solid, and the way I do that is by intentionally putting pressure on my pinkie finger. That allows the rest of my grip to "fall into place." I don't know how accurate that is to disc golf, but figured I would share none the less :)

It depends on the type of throw and grip. If you are talking about driving for distance with a power grip, best thing you can do is get an ultrastar or superhero or some kind of lid like that and learn to throw it far. The lip on it will help you figure out the thumb position and develop the snap you need to get distance.

Also, some people have straight thumbs and others have hitchhikers thumbs, and there are a ton of other genetic variations that will impact what technique is right for you.

I saw that video years ago, and I use that Climo grip too, or something close to it, like Feldberg shows in another video. I find discs flip more easily with a straight power grip. Like Climo said, the disc comes out clean with his grip.

What finger would you chop off if you had to chop one off??? Most people would say the pinkie but in reality your best choice is your pointer finger. The real power comes from the pinkie on down. When these are engaged you feel your whole forearm come alive. The pointer finger is a guide more for me.