• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tobacco Policy

also they did limit concurrent:

Uh ... not so much:

On April 18, 2017, the PDGA Board of Directors voted to extend the existing PDGA Tobacco Policy, which previously only included PDGA Major Events, to also include National Tour events, as well as any sanctioned events held concurrently with those Major and NT events. An example of a concurrent event includes, but is not limited to, running an A-Tier for other divisions while a Major or NT round is also underway.

https://www.pdga.com/files/tobacco_policy_at_pdga_majors_national_tour_events_v4.pdf

I have a question. Here is the new policy:

In one paragraph it clearly states tobacco use is prohibited from two minute warning until card is turned in. Then in last paragraph it says designated smoking area MAY be used by players during the round. So can a smoker smoke in the designated area during the round?

I'm going to say yes, they can. Otherwise what is the point of allowing these discreet smoking areas at all?

A Tournament Director may opt to provide designated smoking areas out of the public eye for players, caddies, and event staff to use during the round, and all rules concerning the pace of play still apply (Competition Manual 3.02). In cases where local laws and policies conflict with this policy, please contact the PDGA Tour Manager for guidance.

It would be hard to maintain the pace of play with an out of the public eye smoking area unless it was during a back-up of cards on a hole.

This prohibition includes all smoking and chewing tobacco products (excluding nicotine gum) as well as electronic and vapor cigarettes.

I can see more smokers using nicotine gum or patches during big tourneys now.

Since we are nit-picking the policy:

At the beginning of the section regarding tobacco use the PDGA calls it a "tobacco policy," then when describing disciplinary actions they refer to a "smoking policy." So, there may be a tobacco policy, but there are no consequences. There are consequences for violating a smoking policy, but there is no "smoking" policy.
::popcorn

Latest posts