• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Top Rated courses/Top destinations

So, currently,according to DGCR, the top destination is Jarva DiscGolfPark with it's second course being a 6 hole junior course. I hope you guys aren't buying that.
Sum rankings may not be perfect,but it's way better than the current system.
here are the top 4;
Highbridge 21.23
Sabbatus 15.76
IDGC 13.02
Horning's 12.35

Honestly this is where we need the sport to go. The USGA sends officials to rate slope on every course. I think the PDGA should invest in this type of thing. Have every course officially "sloped", and also have some sort of review for quality. Charge private courses a fee for the privilege.

Yeah what we have now is basically Rotten Tomatoes without the critics' score, just the audience. Although Udisc users make DGCR TRs look like pro critics.

Perhaps have reviews and ratings of places that are considered destinations. While still having the individual course review/ratings. Seems to me that destination shouldn't be just a place with multiple courses. Plenty of places with one great course that I consider a destination and want to travel to before some of these destinations. Highbridge is definitely worth a higher ranking though and will jump higher I assume with the new management. It's just that good. I've played 3 of the top 10(ridge, Idlewild,flip) and consider 3 maybe 4 courses at Highbridge better or more enjoyable for me. Remember when blueberry was in the top ten? Haha, I'm getting old.

proposal/ideas:
average + tenth of point for each course onsite... this might result in 5+ rating tho.
1/100 point per basket.
minus points for charging or being private... then + points for other amenities
as was mentioned in one of those other threads having trusted reviews count for more
i also feel there should be camping/lodging nearby to be a destination.

Highbridge will continue to literally be an outlier even if all of the courses regain or attain 4.5-5 ratings due to its remote location. In the long run, there will be improved camping and lodging options onsite, pro shop, cell and wi-fi plus additional food service nearby. But it may never gain the amenities within 10 miles of many current and future destinations.
While I respect your opinion Chuck; there may just as many folks who revel in the remote location and feel it outweighs the lack of amenities.

Not a fan of ranking by a straight total of the course ratings. I'm thinking you only average the highest three course ratings. Additional courses beyond three count in the amenities calculation however that's done. So even though Highbridge is remote, perhaps the extra courses could increase its amenities score? For two-course sites to get in the destination rankings, they would need some form of lodging on the site that would be ranked up to 5 points and count as a third "course" to produce the course average towards the destination score.
Goodness gracious, you are proposing only counting 3 courses as courses and then they are amenities ? I think you are out of touch with the traveling disc golfer...

proposal/ideas:
average + tenth of point for each course onsite... this might result in 5+ rating tho.
1/100 point per basket.
minus points for charging or being private... then + points for other amenities
as was mentioned in one of those other threads having trusted reviews count for more
i also feel there should be camping/lodging nearby to be a destination.

Then we could argue about each of those aspects, and how they should be weighted differently!

I am not proposing this...

But I have wondered how multi-course destinations would stack up if there were a separate rating number to rate them as a conglomerate. As many would agree, sometimes when two courses are at one location, very little value is added by the second course. Sometimes it offers all the same elements or its a dud. While other times there's a destination which will have multiple styles that are knocked out of the park. Thus the conglomerate score is more greatly effected.

If we actually needed the best quality rating of destination complexes, this would make more sense than some factor of the ratings of their individual courses.

Some enterprising person could poll disc golfers who (1) have played, say, 200 or more courses and (2) who have played half or more of the contenders. These are people, after all, who tend to go to destinations. Let them rate the complexes.

Of course, we don't actually need the best quality rating, so why bother? I suspect people who want to go to disc golf destinations, are figuring it out pretty well without a list.

If we actually needed the best quality rating of destination complexes,
We don't, it's just another example of, this site ain't what it used to be...that's all I'm saying.

While I respect your opinion Chuck; there may just as many folks who revel in the remote location and feel it outweighs the lack of amenities.

Some don't. That is going to be my point on complete subjectivity.

We don't, it's just another example of, this site ain't what it used to be...that's all I'm saying.

Lol.....this is like arguing religion. Nobody is "buying" anything from ratings or rankings. They are abstract concepts that few traveling players use.

Traveling players should use reviews, not ratings or rankings. Read the reviews and determine if the course is what you are looking for. The current system is not broken and every attempt to fix it, is equally flawed....including attempts in this latest iteration, of this dead horse.

There are TOO MANY variables to make any system work. Revel in it. Embrace the diverse tastes of you fellow golfers. Plan a trip, plug in 3.0 into the road trip functionality and spend a couple hours reading the reviews. I have found a few handful that seem to really enjoy and note the things I enjoy. I seek them out for guidance.

Some don't. That is going to be my point on complete subjectivity.

Lol.....this is like arguing religion. Nobody is "buying" anything from ratings or rankings. They are abstract concepts that few traveling players use.

Traveling players should use reviews, not ratings or rankings. Read the reviews and determine if the course is what you are looking for. The current system is not broken and every attempt to fix it, is equally flawed....including attempts in this latest iteration, of this dead horse.

There are TOO MANY variables to make any system work. Revel in it. Embrace the diverse tastes of you fellow golfers. Plan a trip, plug in 3.0 into the road trip functionality and spend a couple hours reading the reviews. I have found a few handful that seem to really enjoy and note the things I enjoy. I seek them out for guidance.
Ok. I give. Anyone who wants to be sponsored by Bell's is smarter than me. Rock on .

headed to Jarva with several kegs of Two Hearted Ale.

mmm... where's the drooling emoji?

it would be interesting to see an individual page for complexes. general info could include basic course stats but also stuff like showing the distance between courses, distance to nearest gas/food/beer, info on accommodations/camping, etc.
pics pages just for non-course photos: entrance, pro shop, restrooms, camping/lodging, etc
and of course, reviews for the complex overall. requirement that you've played all courses onsite.

One complex that hasn't been mentioned in this discussion is Farragut State Park, which I think is an fine example of a disc golf destination. It now features five, 18-hole courses, not to mention camping in a huge park, a ropes course, beautiful lake, and nearby Coeur d'Alene for those seeking other amenities.

The three "core" courses are AWOL, Wreckreator, and North Star which are rated 4.08, 3.80, and 3.65 respectively. They are beautiful wooded courses that can be seen on the CCDG coverage of the Farragut Open various years.

What I think is the best short Family Friendly (or pitch and putt) course I've ever played is also there. Little Black Bear was a nine hole course the two summers I volunteered in the park, but has been expanded to 18 holes. This is a great course for families, new disc golfers, or those wanting to warm up for the longer courses. Current DGCR rating (most when it was still a 9 holer) is 3.50.

The wild card seems to be the new Cutthroat course which was designed by local tournament players who wanted a bomber course. It is more open and over 10,000 feet. The first DGCR reviewer hated the course and gave it a zero. The two subsequent reviewers have given it a 3 and a 4, so let's assume it would average 3.5 with enough traffic and reviewed.

So here is a 5 course complex with 3 wooded courses, a great short/putter course, and a "to be determined" bomber course all located in a beautiful park in Northern Idaho. Seems like it would be in the mix when discussing Top Destinations.

Farragut is awesome. Haven't played cutthroat since it was just the first 9 but our group, which included some guys that don't have big arms by any means, all enjoyed it. Need to get back that way for another stay. Lake Pend Oreille is magic. Certainly a top destination on my list.

I still haven't found a multi-course destination that is better than smuggler's notch. 2 fantastic courses, and some of the most beautiful countryside I've ever seen. And very cool local destination venues close by.

One complex that hasn't been mentioned in this discussion is Farragut State Park, which I think is an fine example of a disc golf destination. Seems like it would be in the mix when discussing Top Destinations.

It would be, except for the fact that it's pretty well isolated in the NW interior. There's no way it gets the same foot traffic that, say, IDGC gets. And for that reason I feel like it may be overlooked. Still, it's one of my favorites for sure. I started disc golfing right around the same time as the first courses at Farragut were being developed. Every time I returned it seemed like another course would just magically pop up.!

Latest posts