• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tournament Failures/Meltdowns

My worst tourney round happened at my home course of Lava Creek DGC during the Shasta Series. About 4 days before I was walking my dog and she has one of those retractable leashes. I was holding the rope part and another dog walked by causing my dog to rush over. Well the rope proceeded to severely burn the second joint on my pointer finger. This caused it to swell up to the point that I could not even bend it. By the day of the tourney it had gotten to the point of painful and my stupidity told me to still play. I shot the two worst rounds I have ever recorded on the course and my finger looked terrible. I will sit out next time, lesson learned. It's hard not to play in a tourney that you help for months to prepare for, oh well.

I played in the Charlie Vettiner Open in Louisville this weekend. It was 2 rounds of 27, first round Saturday afternoon, second round Sunday morning.

So I play the first round, shoot a 96, and am 3 throws off the lead in 2nd place. I didn't have one of those rounds where I felt like I was just getting lucky. I was playing at or below my potential. Needless to say, after the round I was thrilled about being in the position I was in.

And then Sunday happened. Maybe it was waking up early after sleeping in an unknown hotel bed. Maybe it was the sporadic rainfall and generally gross conditions. I'm not sure what happened, but it is nothing like I expected to ever happen.

I added 25 strokes to my score and wound up falling from 2nd place to a dismal 22nd place finish. I counted up 10 circles on my card, including 3 on one hole. Nothing worked for me. I was pushing my Forehands over and into the ground. I was griplocking my BH and sailing 350' out of bounds, nowhere near my destination. I was missing easy putts, and putting myself in horrible positions because of rollaways and sailors. By the end of the round, I was walking up to 10' putts like I was walking up to a 50'. My confidence was gone, my nerves were shot and I was ready to toss my bag into the Ohio River.

What has your biggest blowup & meltdown been like? Is there anyone who can relate to my horrible round?

Honestly, one of the strongest parts of my game is the ability to leave the last fly behind...it's all about the next one. That goes for a good or bad fly. A couple of years ago I started a tourney with 2 double circle 6's within the first 4 holes. Throw a bogey in the mix and I was ready to reel. I immediately went into casual mode figuring that, "what's gonna happen will" and I'll just let it come what may. I took a deep breath, and just flew.
Needless to say, I had a very good tourney - tied at the top of my division after day one. The 3rd round on Sunday didn't go quite as well and I ended up in 4th with an $80.00 voucher. Still, the point is, it's all about the next fly!!

Ya, I'm curious if it is slang for teeshot, or just any shot in general.

I knew what you meant. but never in my life have i heard anyone say i just flew that disc 400ft. usually the disc flies. I throw it.

Feel like I'm back to playing poker and listening to bad beat stories. If you want to do good in tournaments (poker or golf) you need to have short term memory.

10 circles! Man you had 10 birdies and still shot that high !! :eek:

I kid I kid

I played in the Charlie Vettiner Open in Louisville this weekend. It was 2 rounds of 27, first round Saturday afternoon, second round Sunday morning.

So I play the first round, shoot a 96, and am 3 throws off the lead in 2nd place. I didn't have one of those rounds where I felt like I was just getting lucky. I was playing at or below my potential. Needless to say, after the round I was thrilled about being in the position I was in.

And then Sunday happened. Maybe it was waking up early after sleeping in an unknown hotel bed. Maybe it was the sporadic rainfall and generally gross conditions. I'm not sure what happened, but it is nothing like I expected to ever happen.

I added 25 strokes to my score and wound up falling from 2nd place to a dismal 22nd place finish. I counted up 10 circles on my card, including 3 on one hole. Nothing worked for me. I was pushing my Forehands over and into the ground. I was griplocking my BH and sailing 350' out of bounds, nowhere near my destination. I was missing easy putts, and putting myself in horrible positions because of rollaways and sailors. By the end of the round, I was walking up to 10' putts like I was walking up to a 50'. My confidence was gone, my nerves were shot and I was ready to toss my bag into the Ohio River.

What has your biggest blowup & meltdown been like? Is there anyone who can relate to my horrible round?

I was the leader (intermediate) in the 100 Holes in Hell this year in Vegas after each of the first 3 rounds but after 75 holes of golf I was shot and melted down to last cash. Kinda disappointing to lead after 75 holes and literally "throw it away" on hole 76 (through 100).

I have also been on lead card several times without actually winning or even falling to worse than 4th overall...it sucks but it happens.

All of these meltdowns, remind me of phil mickelson. I'm a big fan of his, but damn that man has had the most last round meltdowns than Any player I have seen in golf and Dg.

Phil's meltdowns are almost always bad decision based.

I've only played one tourney and my final of 3 rounds was the worst. I pressed cuz I was on the card with a guy I was T-4th with and he shot lights out and I tried to keep up <knowing that my game was crap and had been for months>. It wasn't a huge meltdown, I shot 71, 71, 76 while the guy I was tied with killed a 61 in his last round. This was a par 60.

I had a 1 stroke lead after the first round of a 2 round huktoberfest tournament last year. I was playing advanced. The first round was played from the long teepads to the long pin placements. Played good safe golf and finished -2 with no bogies. Started raining between rounds and rained the whole second round. Second round was regular teepads to short pins. Threw a +8 :eek: for the second round finishing out of the money. The worst part was I started overthinking my putting and it took me about 3 months to get back into the putting groove I was in before the tournament started.

Massive, massive, massive meltdown two days ago. I shot a +21 on a 12 hole round (after shooting +1 in a round before the tournament) and just stormed off. It was super cold and rainy and I couldn't feel my hands and nothing was working for me at all. Not my day...

http://gto.ec08.de/events/results/296

Yep, played in my first tournament this weekend and had the same thing happen. Shot a +3 through 18 and ended up on the lead card. I wasn't nervous, but incredibly excited and the adrenaline rush had me throwing long shots that weren't coming back, way over shooting lay up shots etc. Shot a +15 the second time through and fell out of the money. Oh well, still proud I ended up on the lead card after starting 3 1/2 months ago :)

Not sure if I would really call these meltdowns but I have lost a handful of tournaments on the last few holes. One in particular on the very last hole to lose by 1 stroke. This is usually after dominating the entire tournament and being in first place the entire way, call it the Lebron syndrome.

It is what it is I guess.

I had one throw lead before the last hole and I got OB. I threw a Fuse expecting to turn right toward the basket, but I did not had a good snap in that throw and it was bit too high and Fuse faded to the left into the stream. Ended up 2nd, still no cigar!

As for meltdowns, I seen a lot in other players. They get angry and just went downhill from there. The best example of meltdown I ever seen was at last year Northwoods tournament in Wisc during Labor Day weekend, that guy was like 2nd place with great chance for 1st place and was doing pretty good then if I remember, about 5 or 6 holes to go, he got really angry after missing easy putt and he stayed angry and kept getting mistakes, getting bogeys and double bogeys and ended up around 15th I think. He finally calmed down near the end but it was too late. No reason to be angry. Just correct ourselves and then move on to next hole like a brand new day from scratch! It is just a game that is suppose to be fun :)

I've come to learn that a meltdown != a failure.

I've had a lot of meltdowns in tournaments, but I really do think that I can take a positive out of every single one. Whether it's "play til the end cause you have no idea how other's are doing" or just simplying gaining experience playing with the lead, there is value in every meltdown.

One day, all that experience is going to pay off!