• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Trophy disc made from wood.

FernValleyDGC

I was wondering if anyone has seen a wooden disc used as a golf trophy. I made a few for a local tournament and they went over well. Here are a few pics of what I made so ya know what I am talking about. I made branding irons for first second etc... The numbers are branded into the wood. Ace is painted on.

Is there a market for something like this?

Attachments

• Wood disc 1.jpg
    Wood disc 1.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 199
  • all disc.jpg
    all disc.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 209
One of the guys from our club actually made some from a tree that fell down on our course - they were the awards for one of the tournies over the summer. I think they turned out pretty darned sweet.

IMG_6043.jpg

More:
http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww163/BWCC/GPC2009/IMG_6041.jpg
http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww163/BWCC/GPC2009/IMG_6044.jpg
http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww163/BWCC/GPC2009/IMG_6042.jpg

Seems to me there's somebody advertising these for sale in the PDGA mag ... still, a little competition never hurt anybody :)

This one is made out of wood, but has a photo glazed on top which is pretty cool.

Attachments

• IMAG0296.jpg
    IMAG0296.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 97
Not a disc, but I am working on this as a trophy for our BYOP Mixed Doubles I run. It is completely free so I couldn't spend a lot on it.

Still has some cleanup work but you get the idea.
dsc09809p.jpg

One of our local players donates sweet wood mini's as weekly CTP prizes for our leagues. He's also made them for tournament prizes. Here's a few, not so good, pictures of the 6 that I own. The profiles are cut to match the real discs & the art work on top is hand carved. IMO they don't quite give the art work justice....my camera sucks.

He's also made full size replicas.

Attachments

• woody3.JPG
    woody3.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 55
  • Woody1.JPG
    Woody1.JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 45
  • Woody2.JPG
    Woody2.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 52
I work at a shop called the Wright Life in Colorado, we do wooden trophy discs like this:

56789-large.jpg

We also do ultra-star shaped ultimate trophies and fastback shaped disc dog trophies. This one is from last year's Grateful Disc tournament. I can't find a picture of this year's Colorado State Championship trophy, but it was also really sweet.

One of our local players donates sweet wood mini's as weekly CTP prizes for our leagues. He's also made them for tournament prizes. Here's a few, not so good, pictures of the 6 that I own. The profiles are cut to match the real discs & the art work on top is hand carved. IMO they don't quite give the art work justice....my camera sucks.

He's also made full size replicas.

any ideas on how he does it?

any ideas on how he does it?

He uses a lathe to shape the top & the profile. Cuts it off then finishes carving out the bottom by hand so it's like a real disc. The artwork for the tops are painstakingly traced from a piece of paper & carved by hand. Most of them have the art carved into the wood (below the surface). For some of them the art is raised above the surface, like the one that says "DISC GOLF" (again though, the detail is sorta hard to see).