• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Trying to make it out of the woods

GirdleRoc

Birdie Member
Vitals:
Years playing/experience: DG 3 years recreational
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHBH, some OH, trying to figure out the FH
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver:
Putter: not sure I don't drive with it a lot. I would say 250 average.
Mid: Buzz or Roc drive - 250/300
Driver: Katana or Wraith - 350/400

Optional:
Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: Nope
Other sport proficiencies?: Ultimate 8 years
Additional Information:
What do you like/dislike about your current bag?:
I am very comfortable with all my drives.
I dislike the lack of a fairway driver. I feel like I am missing a disc that I can hit tunnel shots but that could be a lack of skill.

Specific areas of desired feedback:
1. I just want to make sure my bag isn't messed up and I am missing some obvious slots.
2. I am looking to buy back ups for all of the current discs I have in premium plastic so suggestions for that would be good.
3. What disc weights should I be using for my discs.

Immediate and long-term goals:
My immediate goal is to have more consistent drives that are tunnel shots.
Long term is to increase my driving distance and forehand distance.

Bag:

Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
Firebrd 175g Dx (beat)- this is getting beat so I need to replace it.
Wraith 170g Pro (almost new)- fairly new - I like it but it seems to fly different than a DX disc I had
Katana 175g Pro (beat)- It has become super flippy and I want to replace it but I am not sure what plastice- I was thinking Blizzard as a max distance driver, also use it for huge annie shots
Monarch 167g Champion (almost new)- I am really consistent with it. This is my tunnel shot driver right now
Sidewinder 170g (beat) - This is super beat and I love it for rollers or annie shots

Mids:
170 Roc Dx (almost new) - main mid, I have two
170 Buzz (used) - Straigth drives or approaches
??? Rox Roc (beat) - super beat and holds an awesome annie line

Putters:
154 San Marino Dx Aviar, (almost new) - approach putter
175 Dx Aviar (new) - main putter

I don't know what Putter to drive with...

Would a Champion Teebird and a Pro Leopard be a good fit in my bag? I think those will be my next purchases.

THANK YOU!!!

IF you're hitting 400 with your wraith, why aren't you throwing mids for tunnel shots? I would recommend a leopard or gazelle, or both.

Also, what are the roc and buzzz doing thats different from each other?

The Wraith and Katana will need to be replaced fairly often if you keep them in DX or Pro. Base plastic is hit or miss durability wise once you get past the speed 9 stuff like the Firebird. You could get some new DX Firebirds and cycle them for your FW slot. Your distance driver weights could be lighter, around the mid 160s is where most people seem to like them. Gives a nice combo of effortless distance while still resisting wind pretty well.

If you like the Aviar mold, there are some big bead Aviars that are good for driving, also the Discmania putters and Millennium Omegas share mold pieces with the Aviar. A MVP Anode is very Aviar shaped and makes a great driving putter as well.

So I'd do something like this:

Distance:
overstable driver in the speed 10-12 range (gazillion to choose from)
Monarch (will eventually beat into being pretty flippy)
SideWinder (flippy)

Fairways:
Fresh DX Firebird (beefy) (maybe one Ch/St FB to stay beefy)
Seasoned DX Firebird (stable)
Beat DX Firebird (flippy)

Mids:
Buzzz (use to bridge gap b/w Rocs and FBs)
Rocs in various stages of wear

Putters:
Aviars for putting & approaching
BB Aviar/Anode/Challenger/other company's Aviar knock off, I'm sure Legacy and Prodigy have one.

That covers pretty much everything, doesn't require spending a lot of cash and with cycling your FWs and Mids will shore up some consistency in your game.

doh!

IF you're hitting 400 with your wraith, why aren't you throwing mids for tunnel shots? I would recommend a leopard or gazelle, or both.

Also, what are the roc and buzzz doing thats different from each other?

:doh:
- I have know idea why I don't throw my mids for tunnel shots... but I will try tat now. :wall:

- I just started throwing rocs this summer so I am more comfortable at controlling my buzz for straight drives. It is getting less and less use as I get more and more comfortable with my rocs. Also I have thrown my only Ace with it so... yeah :)

Thanks so much!!! Mids for tunnel shots why did I not think of that :wall:

Awesome!!!

The Wraith and Katana will need to be replaced fairly often if you keep them in DX or Pro. Base plastic is hit or miss durability wise once you get past the speed 9 stuff like the Firebird. You could get some new DX Firebirds and cycle them for your FW slot. Your distance driver weights could be lighter, around the mid 160s is where most people seem to like them. Gives a nice combo of effortless distance while still resisting wind pretty well.

If you like the Aviar mold, there are some big bead Aviars that are good for driving, also the Discmania putters and Millennium Omegas share mold pieces with the Aviar. A MVP Anode is very Aviar shaped and makes a great driving putter as well.

So I'd do something like this:

Distance:
overstable driver in the speed 10-12 range (gazillion to choose from)
Monarch (will eventually beat into being pretty flippy)
SideWinder (flippy)

Fairways:
Fresh DX Firebird (beefy) (maybe one Ch/St FB to stay beefy)
Seasoned DX Firebird (stable)
Beat DX Firebird (flippy)

Mids:
Buzzz (use to bridge gap b/w Rocs and FBs)
Rocs in various stages of wear

Putters:
Aviars for putting & approaching
BB Aviar/Anode/Challenger/other company's Aviar knock off, I'm sure Legacy and Prodigy have one.

That covers pretty much everything, doesn't require spending a lot of cash and with cycling your FWs and Mids will shore up some consistency in your game.

- I will go with lighter drivers... when I first started my friend told us to buy max weight drivers... I found that wasn't working but I wasn't sure what weight was good.

-the BB aviar drive sounds like a great idea.

Thanks this was super hrelpful!!!:D

I like to get a nicely seasoned Roc and hyzerflip it. or a dx Leopard. those are straight $$$$

teebird/volt/stag/saint? Any of these can be your fairway tunnel shot. Each vary a little but all fill the same general slot of overstable fairway driver. I throw volts myself.

For the understable, give underworld a try. I threw sidewinders and the switch to underworld could be the best disc decisions ive made ever. Relying on a disc to be a certain level of "beat in" to fill the understable slot in your bag is iffy. Tons of people do it but personally i think its better to go with something that does what you want right off the shelf. Underworld does that. lots of turn.