• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Turbo Putters - What do you think of them?

I played around with Turbo putting for a little while, just for fun. I am by no means a good putter, but I am more consistent with a more traditional put. My roommate however, consistently makes turbo putts from 30-35'. He plays very infrequently and it rustles my jimmies to see someone so new to the sport bang putts so effortlessly. If he switches putting styles, his inexperience shows though. Something about the way be turbos just clicks for him. The third time we played, he hit an uphill 50' turbo putt on the last hole. It is just sick.

yeah get out of trouble...seems like when you miss with a turbo you are going to be a good distance away still. lots or rolls and blow bys.

fireballputts1_zpsb31e163c.jpg

Dan, your post reminds me of a buddy of mine who uses what he calls "chaos putting". Basically he holds one edge of his putter (a beat wolf) and flips it into the basket. Funny thing is, I've seen him hit 20 - 25ft putts on a pretty regular basis - usually about 75% of the time. I know that isn't enough to be considered good, but I guess my broad point is that function beats form every time.

Thanks! Yeah, it's whatever works for you, really. I also like to try underhand flip putts from up close. Putting from behind my back or from under my leg is fun for close shots too, but I don't do that in tournaments. If you miss, it counts, and you feel pretty stupid.

i love when turbo putters are on the course. There is a reason you don't regularly see any "off the wall" throwing styles finish at the top of big tournaments. It's a great technique for certain situations, and i do practice them every once in a while for an escape shot close to the basket.

Same with Tomahawk and thumber. If that's the main throwing style, i feel confident that i'm going to beat you over the course of the tourney. Might not happen, but my confidence goes up seeing that. Its another great technique to have, and I wish i hadn't screwed my shoulder up years ago so I could throw them. I've many times been sitting there in trouble going "Damnit, I wish i could throw a tomahawk right here, i'd be so out of trouble if i could"

Here in KC i was warming up for a tournament and saw a guy just BANGING 40 foot turbo putts. I go up and talk to him and he's throwing old school DX Bulldogs and just proceeds to bang 90% of his putts from all locations. Its a really cool looking way to putt, but wake_rider said, anything farther out than that a turbo usually doesn't have enough to get to the basket.

I've not read the whole thread, but it's pretty funny for me, as a newer player, to read these "criticisms" of turbo putting. Turbo putters make 90% out to 40 feet but diminish their chances beyond that.

Makes me think I should take up turbo putting! I'd love to make 90% (or 50%) at 30 feet, let alone 40.

All that mostly to point out the amusing differences that vastly different experience levels can present. In general, I suspect I do need to add some flavor of higher velocity component to my putting arsenal.

I have enjoyed everyone's input. Keep it comming.

I am going to continue my experiment of turbo putting through the winter. Or at least until the wind picks up.

I will continue to follow this thread and report back how things turn out.

Here in KC i was warming up for a tournament and saw a guy just BANGING 40 foot turbo putts. I go up and talk to him and he's throwing old school DX Bulldogs and just proceeds to bang 90% of his putts from all locations. Its a really cool looking way to putt, but wake_rider said, anything farther out than that a turbo usually doesn't have enough to get to the basket.

Can almost promise this was Mark Martin. Early 50's, scrawny, never shut up??
If you talked to him there is a great chance he tried to sell you a disc out of his car...
Pulls a cart also

Pretty sure it says something in Leviticus about turbo putters...

I have a basket in my backyard so naturally I have played around with turbo putting out of boredom a handful of times... I'm glad I did because I once drained a 40 foot putt after I was laid up behind a big bush. Ever since then I've made it a point to play with turbo putting enough to keep it in practice. I sometimes attempt to putt lefty as that too can be useful at times.

Odd dichotomy that on one side shuns racist comments towards most, but finds them acceptable when they're directed towards red heads.

I want to know what you think about the people who Turbo Putt?
yada,yada...
So what is the issue with turbo putting?

To be honest, I could care less how people putt, as long as it's within the rules (which turbo putts clearly are). I think it's interesting, and can see its inherent advantages and disadvantages. Personally, I can't get a decent grip to turbo putt, so it's just not part of my repertoire, but doesn't it always come down to whatever works for someone? It really doesn't turn my head anymore, and neither do people who "flip putt" for that matter. For all I care, you can bend over with your but facing the basket and "snap" the disc into the basket (like a football center long snapping)... s'all good to me.

The turbo putt reminds me of shooting freethrows granny style. Sure, Rick Barry insists it's the best style for shooting freethrows but nobody hardly ever does it. :|

Latest posts