• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Understable Compliment to the Buzzz

Another disc that you might want to look at is the Gateway Element; that's what I pair with my buzzz. It's a great disc.

I have a friend that has a stack of Elements that he has never even used. I'm sure I could get my hands on one quite easily instead of dropping 20 on a GL Fuse. What disc would you compare the Element to? (open question for anyone that has thrown one)

no, I'm trying to use both fewer molds and slower discs. I just have a hard time letting go of a disc that adds so much instant distance, even if it hurts me in the long run. :eek:

facepalm.jpg

I tried ..... lol

no, I'm trying to use both fewer molds and slower discs. I just have a hard time letting go of a disc that adds so much instant distance, even if it hurts me in the long run. :eek:

Infidel!!! Thou art a disgrace to the discing down order!! :D

RE: Comets going 300' plus...
Yeah, I can see that. If I can throw a putter 300', it's easily possible for a Comet to go that far, not that I'm throwing putters 300' on command, mind you. :\

I never could put a finger on what exactly was irking me about my Nebula/Buzzz and Comet combo, I dropped the Comet for the Fuse more or less b/c it just felt more Buzzzish, let alone flies more too. Good to know I'm not completely crazy.

Thank you for saying that! I bought a comet on one of these suggestions, and I hate the thing. I've tried over and over again to love it, and I can't.

That being said, buy a lighter X Buzzz, and beat it up. I have a 166 X Buzzz that will hold an anny line forever, and it feels just like .... wait for it ... a Buzzz! .. go figure! People do this with Rocs all the time. They have 57 different Rocs in different stages of wear for different throws. I'm learning that it works with Buzzzes too .. (TBH, I'd rather fill my bag with discs that will fly as expected out of the box, but hey, whatever works right?)

What weight/plastic is your hated comet? Dibs if mid-heavy ESP.

Dammit all. I spent forever getting an ESP Comet on previous suggestion (neither are here yet) and already it sounds like it's not gonna work for me. And now we're all tryin to pickup a Fuse, so the Market's a no-go! Thanks alot guys! ::grumbles as he pulls out wallet and looks up Fuse prices::
While I'm at it..if I throw a 176 Buzzz, should I get a similar weight Fuse? GL flat-top IIRC...I've followed the whole thread...but there's a lot goin on in it...

Last edited:
You are actually proving my point...To throw both the Buzzz and Comet how they are meant to be thrown to fly correctly, YOU HAVE TO SWITCH YOUR FORM UP. I'm also talking about the same thing Climo is. Kenny throws a single kind of disc...He likes discs that have to be thrown fairly hard to work. He would never throw something like a Comet (or the Innova equivalent), a Roadrunner, Sidewinder, River, or any other disc that had a ton of glide. He likes his discs to take his form and do his will, and not have any extra glide or will of their own. This is exactly what I'm talking about...Throwing different discs that have similar glide/flight characteristics across speeds, and Climo does exactly this.

You are very misguided in thinking Feldberg carries 30 different discs. He carries about 50 for one, but he has a core of 5-6 molds that account for 90% of his shots, and then he's got some specialty discs for certain shots to fill holes where his primary molds are weak. He also plays 100 different courses a year...On any given one he's only using 20% of what he carries. Oh, and did I also mention he's probably got some natural talent that most of lack? I've also played with Nikko, and he's emptied his bag on holes warming up with me...He doesn't carry that many discs at all, once again, some primary molds with some specialty discs to cover some specific situations because he plays all over the place.

I think what happens on these threads is a point is made then everyone either trys to prove it or disprove it. I agree with pretty much everything you said but I think the point is, in Disc Golf, there are no absolutes and that every player has to find what works for them and the hone their skills. When people use words like "can't", "luck", "mistake", I take a offense to that because its just not true. Now as for a new player looking to improve I will agree that learning speed similiar molds is the way to go and that the way I learned is not optimal just not "wrong".

OOP Discraft Breeze.

Feels just like a buzzz. Found some online for like 50 bucks...but don't pay that. I payed 15 for mine and got one on an SSS magic trade.

My guess is that Frank and Discspeed are right. I throw a Core for my mid. I tried a Comet and just didn't like it. When the Fuse came out I tried that. It pairs real well with the Core. since the Core and Buzzz are similar I'd say that is the way to go. And the Fuse is a great way to smooth out your form. It goes where you throw it. If you've got OAT it will be unkind to you. The trees on the right side of the local fairways know it well.

Oh yeah, great thread. Going to go through the bag again and reconsider some things. Thanks guys.

Hey Sloppy, what are you up to on Wednesday? If I haven't caved and picked up a Fuse by then, you wanna throw a round? Maybe let me use a Fuse if you have an extra? :D edit: And hitting your post in the other thread...sounds like you have atleast two :thmbup:
I'm reading through discspeed's older Fuse thread....and yeah...I wants one I think...

Last edited:
OOP Discraft Breeze.

Feels just like a buzzz. Found some online for like 50 bucks...but don't pay that. I payed 15 for mine and got one on an SSS magic trade.
God no, that disc is awful. There's a very good reason why it's OOP. Way too slow and way too pathetic in the wind to even be seen in the same room as a Buzzz. :)
While I'm at it..if I throw a 176 Buzzz, should I get a similar weight Fuse? GL flat-top IIRC...I've followed the whole thread...but there's a lot goin on in it...
My 177 Opto Fuse works out great with my Nebs (weights ~ 174). A flat GL ~176 and up should work great right out the box if you don't get an Opto and feel like waiting for it to beat in. I got another 177 Opto that I gave to a friend for his b-day and comparing it to my beat in Fuse I was amazed at how stable those things start out as. I could almost just go with a domey Opto Fuse and a beat Fuse for all my midrange needs.

Ahh...GL it is then...lets see what Essentialdiscs has got...I live close enough to the guy that he'll drop it off at my door :)
I still can't decide between my Nebs and my Buzzzes...so keep an eye out Bro D. you might get some more Nebulove comin your way ;)

Actually that is like the opposite of good advice. If you want to throw a comet, get a slow stable mid to compliment it. If you have a fast stable mid, get a fast understable mid. The less adjusting you have to do between discs, the better.

Meh, I suppose so. I love the Comet and Buzzz combo tho, i also carry a drone.

God no, that disc is awful. There's a very good reason why it's OOP. Way too slow and way too pathetic in the wind to even be seen in the same room as a Buzzz. :)

My 177 Opto Fuse works out great with my Nebs (weights ~ 174). A flat GL ~176 and up should work great right out the box if you don't get an Opto and feel like waiting for it to beat in. I got another 177 Opto that I gave to a friend for his b-day and comparing it to my beat in Fuse I was amazed at how stable those things start out as. I could almost just go with a domey Opto Fuse and a beat Fuse for all my midrange needs.

Well sir, you ain't seem me throw mine. All depends on how far u are able to throw slower discs at greater distances. Has been great for large anhyzers and tunnel shots. Slow? yeah, it's a midrange, slow's good.

320ft or so I'm guessing. Through the left gap in the trees (high) anyhyzer back right to the bucket, tucked in the second set of trees. BREEZE...usually a park job 80% of the time, but I must say that I've been itchin' to try a Fuse. Seen a buddy toss one around a bit and I like the way they fly.

d3fa7e16.jpg

Frank is right on here. Mold minimalism aside, you absolutely must have some speed class/flight characteristic organization to your bag to develop touch and accuracy. You can't just throw a bunch of random discs together, all different speeds/flight characteristics, and expect to get anything but lucky. You also have to consider other aspects of throwing mechanics such as nose angle, arm vs. snap, etc. On every one of these aspects, the Comet is different than the Buzzz. The throw power and line that takes a Buzzz to 300' will have the Comet grounding out at about 250', but give the Comet 10' more of height and it may go 330'-340'. Use little arm and only snap and the Comet can glide up to 300', but the Buzzz will only go 250' before it drops with the same throw. Whichever of these discs you learn touch with will end up taking over all shots, and the other will have be relegated to a single shot. You cannot learn and throw both with equal ability (unless perhaps they were the only two discs in your entire bag).

Secondly, the Comet is a stable disc, not an understable disc, and so is the Buzzz. If the Comet is understable for you (and is not beat or in the 160s), then you are throwing it wrong (perhaps like a Buzzz) and it will not be predictable.

These are the reasons why the Fuse (and even the Meteor) are a better fit with the Buzzz. The same power and line will yield a similar distance and flight with the only different variable being stability. This way you can use the same "touch" you've learned with the Buzzz and simply get the more understable flights you are looking for.

What is ure definition of understable? I can throw the a new comet from hyzer and have it turn for me. If that's not understable idk what is.

What is ure definition of understable? I can throw the a new comet from hyzer and have it turn for me. If that's not understable idk what is.

A lot of people turn over discs that are overstable or stable, that's when I say it's the archer and not the arrow.

Why not just throw a hyzer?

there's 2 large tree that guard the right side of the bucket. hit em you're usually 40 ft away or so. from the short pin those trees are almost to close, hyzers fall short. There's bad wind out there at that course. Hyzers from the long pin all the way.