• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Uplink -Midrange (complete historical records of its awesomeness)

My buddy won an Uplink at a local MVP Circuit Challenge event to benefit vets. He's a Discraft/DGA thrower. Except for the Hex.

We played Prickly Pines, a somewhat wooded course about 30 or so miles east of the front range of the rocky mountains, and he threw that Uplink a lot. I've never thrown it, but I told him I thought it would be like a Meteor or Comet.

It was a practice round for an upcoming tourney. He shared his practice notes with me after the round:

Holes 1-18, throw Uplink. :D

He had an eagle 2 with a 250' throw in on the par 4--medium steep hyzer line. He immediately gelled with the disc, not just the great throw-in, he was parking holes all over the place on tight, woodsy lines. I'm happy for him.

I just got back from a field session and then walk. The wind was blowing at a constant 18mph according to the weather app on my phone. Yes, I was in a field with one and only one disc trying to learn it in the wind, and since you are in this thread you know which disc that was.

I take back what I said earlier. This disc is surprisingly good in the wind once you start learning it. I was getting some great throws cross wind, and just had to give it more hyzer throwing straight into it. I definitely have a new favorite mid here and as a bonus, it seems to be helping me with my backhand form when I throw it that way (which definitely still needs work). To think, it was the disc from the gyro box that I was originally most disappointed in (other than the teleport, which I've never bothered to even try to throw).

In several cases I threw it backhand and high to see if the bit of late fade that @ThrowaEnvy mentions is actually still there in the Neutron Soft plastic, and it is, but less so than straight Neutron. It was fun throwing it straight at the wind with plenty of hyzer and watching it do a slow turn over and then as it slowed trying to fight back, just a bit.

Keep slinging plastic!

What is the general opinion on this disc? If I were to pick one up, soft or regular? Seems like a fun disc but I can cover a lot of shots with the Anode, Envy and Buzzz.

Depending on my throw, I can get both the late turn with slight hookup, and the long, steady, gradual turnover. If you have those covered, you don't need the Uplink.

My buddy won an Uplink at a local MVP Circuit Challenge event to benefit vets. He's a Discraft/DGA thrower. Except for the Hex.

We played Prickly Pines, a somewhat wooded course about 30 or so miles east of the front range of the rocky mountains, and he threw that Uplink a lot. I've never thrown it, but I told him I thought it would be like a Meteor or Comet.

It was a practice round for an upcoming tourney. He shared his practice notes with me after the round:

Holes 1-18, throw Uplink. :D

He had an eagle 2 with a 250' throw in on the par 4--medium steep hyzer line. He immediately gelled with the disc, not just the great throw-in, he was parking holes all over the place on tight, woodsy lines. I'm happy for him.
Prickly Pines is just a wonderful course. Got to play it when it was still fairly new.

What is the general opinion on this disc? If I were to pick one up, soft or regular? Seems like a fun disc but I can cover a lot of shots with the Anode, Envy and Buzzz.

I can give you my opinion on the disc :D ... there isnt a huge difference between soft and neutron, I throw 176g+ uplinks. They have a fun late turn that starts at about 70 percent of flight. I found the soft more likely to hold the turn longer with a suggestive hint of fade. Neutron does a tighter S kind of action, with a touch of late fade, either one will turn from a flat throw 200'+. They are kind of between a Comet and a Meteor. They glide really well... it's taken some shots away from my relay.

I can give you my opinion on the disc :D ... there isnt a huge difference between soft and neutron, I throw 176g+ uplinks. They have a fun late turn that starts at about 70 percent of flight. I found the soft more likely to hold the turn longer with a suggestive hint of fade. Neutron does a tighter S kind of action, with a touch of late fade, either one will turn from a flat throw 200'+. They are kind of between a Comet and a Meteor. They glide really well... it's taken some shots away from my relay.

I was doing field work today, and I swear my Soft Neutron is straighter than my swirly regular Neutron...

I was doing field work today, and I swear my Soft Neutron is straighter than my swirly regular Neutron...

Man it sure is.... It's kinda weird, again the only word I have is butter.

It's like all the rough edges are smoothed off. If you get it right it's magic. I kinda regret loading up on the neutrons... kind of... I'm still waiting for my soft to "break in" but it really hasn't changed yet. I really enjoy throwing it..

Man it sure is.... It's kinda weird, again the only word I have is butter.

It's like all the rough edges are smoothed off. If you get it right it's magic. I kinda regret loading up on the neutrons... kind of... I'm still waiting for my soft to "break in" but it really hasn't changed yet. I really enjoy throwing it..

So let me ask you Throwa, since my Fission Octanes worked out so well because of you! If I bag a Eclipse 2.0 Reactor, prism Pyro, and a blackout Plasma Tangent (my second most prized disc in the bag, besides the nicely beat in watermelon crave) for my mids. I also bag 3 envies, and 3 craves. Do I need the uplink? Or would it be a want. Would it be a good replacement for the Tangent? I only have two Tangents right now, so knock on wood I won't need back ups but...

TIA for your answer!!

So let me ask you Throwa, since my Fission Octanes worked out so well because of you! If I bag a Eclipse 2.0 Reactor, prism Pyro, and a blackout Plasma Tangent (my second most prized disc in the bag, besides the nicely beat in watermelon crave) for my mids. I also bag 3 envies, and 3 craves. Do I need the uplink? Or would it be a want. Would it be a good replacement for the Tangent? I only have two Tangents right now, so knock on wood I won't need back ups but...

TIA for your answer!!

Ha happy to help...

Well everything you list is stable.. For me.. Pretty much most of those do straight to stable or more.. The uplink is less stability than the tangent. The only thing that might be in your bag that's close could be a soft electron envy..

It doesn't matter, the uplink is less stable than a tangent with a bit more loft. I've beat down two 170g first runnish tangents. My OG one is a little beat, you kinda reminded me I should pull it out but it's a single angle disc for me.. Nice anhyzer arc, straight laser or good hyzer. It's replacement still has some straight S action.

An uplink is the best replacement for my beat tangent but it needs some hyzer, it doesn't fight wind as well but it gets a lot of ridiculous touch glide. It's a lot of fun to throw, I rarely throw it flat for a straight shot, flat goes to a turn unless I nose up it. The proton spin is the only disc it competes with in my bag.

So it's understable but not a flip turd.... you can put more "English" on it. I like heavy ones. It's the only 180g I really enjoy. 176 is max for my comet never grooved with my 180's.

Last edited:
FWIW I loved the tangent, solid point and shoot disc, great tunnel shooter, great in some wind... I used it a lot for the same stuff I use an electron soft envy for now. Tried the theory, it wasn't the same as my broken in tangent. The problems I had with the tangent were the need for power so it wasn't the best short range disc and it didn't have much glide, especially underpowered.

I use the uplink as my tangent replacement, but it's not point and shoot flat. It holds height really well with a touch of hyzer. A good flat throw will fly straight for 75 percent of flight and just when you think it should fade it will turn instead, weighted properly it will fade back so it is "understable unique". Short range I can use the uplink to make some 100' anhyzers reasonably well. The uplink is between a tangent and a paradox. It can fill both roles at once.

I thought about it overnight, haha, the closest disc in my bag to my 176+ uplink is a 170g elite X comet.

Last edited:
Well I pulled out my tangents, going to try some head to head with the uplinks today if I get out before dark... it feels like they're related.. I also found a shopping bag full of discs I pulled out of my van and off the deck, included is the plasma tesla I've been looking for... but that's another story...

Ran the 180g soft uplink yesterday in mild wind with good results. Still waiting for it to break in, it just won't... and that is really awesome. It seems to be less stable on the flat or anhyzer but with a flip up hyzer it's more stable than my neutron, much easier to predict. Utilizing that late turn that I know is there is more intuitive and intentional rather than occasionally accidental.

Just something about that soft neutron that really makes it magical for me... for a 3 disc bag it would be almost as big a cornerstone (disc) as my envy. It eliminates one of my favourites, the relay. The 180 soft uplink can cover many of the things I'd use a 155 relay for and a bunch of shots I'd use my spin for. If I'm looking at a 3 disc league round I would have complete confidence in Envy/Uplink/Tesla and not feel like I left any holes.

Anyhow, what I came here to ask is:

Has anyone broken in a soft uplink yet? Have you got it to where it rolls over anhyzer from a hyzer at that 75% point in flight? Or is it just me that can't beat this thing in :D

Anyhow, what I came here to ask is:

Has anyone broken in a soft uplink yet? Have you got it to where it rolls over anhyzer from a hyzer at that 75% point in flight? Or is it just me that can't beat this thing in :D

None of the neutron soft plastic I have is showing signs of breaking in yet... The uplink has been thrown the most even though it's the newest soft neutron disc in my bag...

So got my 169 soft uplink in the mail, kind of a big dome.. I knocked it down though after a round haha.. Still high but not as much, weird haha.

Throws stable, it needs some time. Good action, the line between turnover and straight has gotten thinner, not totally sold on the approach shots.. But as a putter, well let me tell you :) it's nice. Does that job really well, it will be nice to try it on more short holes next time. It won by 2 strokes over the other two. Mostly because of the longer putts vs parks. It's still a two don't matter. I don't know why I keep trying to build a 3 or 4 mold bag :D

So much better than a paradox haha.

Also got a couple really nice forehand with the 180+ soft, weirdly nice. They popped from a hyzer rode straight with a touch of soft fade. Basically a touch, nose up airball, laser. We will also explore this further. I haven't hit two in a row FH like that yet with an uplink, but I don't think I've tried my soft 180 before.

Last edited:
So got my 169 soft uplink in the mail, kind of a big dome.. I knocked it down though after a round haha.. Still high but not as much, weird haha.

Throws stable, it needs some time. Good action, the line between turnover and straight has gotten thinner, not totally sold on the approach shots.. But as a putter, well let me tell you :) it's nice. Does that job really well, it will be nice to try it on more short holes next time. It won by 2 strokes over the other two. Mostly because of the longer putts vs parks. It's still a two don't matter. I don't know why I keep trying to build a 3 or 4 mold bag :D

So much better than a paradox haha.

Also got a couple really nice forehand with the 180+ soft, weirdly nice. They popped from a hyzer rode straight with a touch of soft fade. Basically a touch, nose up airball, laser. We will also explore this further. I haven't hit two in a row FH like that yet with an uplink, but I don't think I've tried my soft 180 before.

Picked up one of the softie SE's today and yeah, what's with this dome?? I didn't know MVP could do that?! But altogether not too different of a flight from my gyropalooza uplink. I figured the Uplink is such a staple in the bag I ought to get a back up for it. I really love the feel and it has a place in the bag for sure as it is clearly a tick more stable (5 5 -2.5 0.5??) Not sure if those are realistic numbers but it still has the small fade but maybe with a little less propensity to turn over.

Picked up one of the softie SE's today and yeah, what's with this dome?? I didn't know MVP could do that?! But altogether not too different of a flight from my gyropalooza uplink. I figured the Uplink is such a staple in the bag I ought to get a back up for it. I really love the feel and it has a place in the bag for sure as it is clearly a tick more stable (5 5 -2.5 0.5??) Not sure if those are realistic numbers but it still has the small fade but maybe with a little less propensity to turn over.

I relate many discs to my many suppositions of Comet flight physics haha.

A high dome like that will mean more turn resistance, possibly more fade but a potential for higher glide once it breaks in. (As long as the dome stays popped up). Basically once you overcome the intitialstabilty it could be an extra glidey straight version of itself... this could be extremely desirable in a bag with multiple uplinks or for someone that has committed long term to the mold :D it will also work for people that buy one randomly since they don't know the difference.

Now I'm trying hard to knock the new off but I'm praying the dome stays. A flat, light uplink would not be my first choice but I'm not totally sold on its current stable-ity or maybe it's the weight, it's a lot twitchier with a very good chance of stabling out. It's kinda "reactoresque" right now with less fade and a propensity for straight... hmm kinda Sveaish but more fun and less rigid in its ways

Last edited:
Got my soft SheDyzer uplink 166G, much flatter top, white underneath, feels silky and sexy. It's almost instantly kicked the 166 high dome one from the "Possible bag" . I think it's still staying at home for the tourney on Sunday. Going to rest my trophy defending hopes on the white 180g SN SE and the 178 N gyropalooza. Hard! Haha.

Like one disc approach the F out of it, no backup plan/mid. Planning on dialing it in like it's a Comet, take the N for the gotta turn shots. I'd love to have a light one ready but they have a weird stable-lity. Not. Quite. Dialed in. But close.

Geez 4 posts in a row haha. Am I the only one so smitten?

Tourney came and went, rough start at -4 for first 9... got paired with a good/cool kid that had the hot score (-7 first round) and helped propel him to 2nd place :D I ended up -20, but it was -25 to win... anyhow...

Banked all my hopes of defending the trophy on the 180 soft uplink, first 9 was rusty. Ran a little more hyzer and got it dialed... it did 75- 80 percent of what it should once I was warm but a bit of a lack in confidence (will it turn or won't it) kinda made me miss the hex for the first time in many months. Coulda used something I could juice a little harder, it seems on unfamiliar ground I got a little too excited to start with. Especially when I was pushing it and I got late turn, but then it worked against me on some of the shorter and touch shots when it just wouldn't turn.

Went crazy, dropped in the SheDyzer 166 uplink, damn thing went too straight 3 times. Leaned on the proton spin.

Got to the main course for the once a year heritage layout, absolutely slayed it with the 180 soft. Hit the gaps, hit the angles and hit some nice late trees that slowed that sucker down for 8' parks.

It's funny but when I throw the uplink more people comment on how "pretty" the shot is. I don't remember ever hearing that as often, it just looks so smooth and people can tell I'm reigning it in. Everyone watches to see how far it will roll or hold on the line.

It reminds me of when I was deadly with a tangent but the uplink is touchier and way longer if you let it get away on you. 180g is freaking awesome though, the carry and control is just a wild balance. I'm hoping the light ones can fill that gap with less juice and better placement. It's really overlapping between uncomfortably long putter range and not quite long enough to fairway. I did get pissed on the last hole and blaze a massive uphill forehand same distance as my relay would have made and right at it.