• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

USDGC moving to every other year!

Roc1Time

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
I just got word that the biggest tourney our sport has is moving to an every other year format alternating years with the European open. What are your thoughts?

If true...interesting.

Mixed emotions I guess.
While it IS perceived as being as prestigious as the World's, personally its "rope-i-ness" has always put me off.
Although trying to truly make the sport cosmopolitan could be enhanced by having something REALLY BIG in the EU (logistical nightmare though - but USDGC is a nightmare for EU players...)

In the end, it just might be a "cunning plan" (queue The Black Adder music) to inflate its prestigue even more!

Or just a hoax.

Karl

It's true, just read innova's news release. It will be hard to make the payout any bigger then it already is being its the richest tourney as it stands. It's kind of sad to see one of the toughest layouts every other year

Doesn't really say except for just the growth of the sport. It does say the ams will play a bigger part starting next time around, which is kind of strange since there is already an am DGC sponsored by their friends discraft

For immediate release:

August 25, 2010

This year marks the 12th anniversary of the United States Disc Golf Championship (USDGC). Since its inception in 1999, the USDGC has grown into one of disc golf's premier championship events. Innova Disc Golf, in association with the event's many volunteers, sponsors, USDGC Partners, Winthrop University, and the Professional Disc Golf Association, is extremely proud to have been such an integral part of our game's history.
Innova considers it a privilege to be in a leadership position. We have seen disc golf, and our business, grow and change tremendously over nearly three decades. The disc golf market is continually expanding and Innova is more committed than ever to improving our service to this incredibly diverse community of players.

In recognition of the growth of disc golf around the globe, we have decided to move the USDGC to a biennial schedule. Effective immediately, the USDGC will alternate years with Europe's major event – The European Open. The USDGC will be held in even numbered years and the European Open in odd numbered years. This will enable better global promotion of professional disc golf, as well as afford us an opportunity to serve another important segment of the disc golf population.

Amateur and recreational golfers represent the fastest growing portion of the disc golf community. With these players in mind, a new event will visit the famous grounds at Winthrop University in 2011. Details will be forthcoming, but two of the guiding principles will be: Amateurism and Fun Competition in a Professional Setting at Winthrop. Despite these changes our mission remains the same; to live disc golf and to enable others to discover such a wonderful lifetime sport.

We are excited about the future of disc golf, more so than ever before. Opportunity for the game's advancement abounds. We are confident that this new schedule will allow the USDGC to sustain its tradition of excellence, while building an even better fan base for the game's elite.

One thing you can count on this fall is that Innova and the USDGC family are steadily preparing for our greatest tournament experience to date. We look forward to October, and to seeing you here.

Warmest regards,

Innova Disc Golf

I'm disappointed, but it's their choice---it's their creation, and they're doing all the work.

Not sure if it will be more prestigious, or less, over time. But the Players Cup may pick up some of the slack as an event that you have to play your way into---as opposed to a convention, like the Worlds---and thus a goal just to play in.

On the other hand, looks like this will be the first time in about a decade-in-a-half where folks like me have a chance to play a tournament at Winthrop, so that's something for Carolinians to look forward to.

I think they are doing it this way so that they can have a much larger payout. This may be what it takes to get some media recognition. Lets say instead of Nikko getting 15K for 1st the winner gets 30K.

I heard from a very reliable source that they're not allowing fairway run-up on a couple holes this year. Will be Hole #5 plus one or two others.

I heard #5 would change to no run up this year at last years event. Seems like the rumor continues. I wonder of changing to bi-annual has anything to do with the labor and organization required to run the event. It is tough to find enough people to do all that work for both the doubles and USDGC. Its basically a week of volunteering and a week + of preparation of Winthrop and the Doubles courses.

Charlotte Amateur Championship! 4 Rounds. Renny Gold, Hornets Nest Web, Nevin, Withrop Gold - roped....drool.

I think they are doing it this way so that they can have a much larger payout. This may be what it takes to get some media recognition. Lets say instead of Nikko getting 15K for 1st the winner gets 30K.

I don't understand the math here. They won't get twice as much in entry fees. They won't get twice as many sponsors---they're probably getting every dime they can now. I guess if Innova's putting their own money into it they could double up that---if they really want to.

I doubt higher payouts figures into it in any way.

Latest posts