• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

USDGC moving to every other year!

They should start the European event in 2012. Charlotte has enough to worry about with Worlds...to have PDGA Championships coming back after being away for a year.

I don't understand the math here. They won't get twice as much in entry fees. They won't get twice as many sponsors---they're probably getting every dime they can now. I guess if Innova's putting their own money into it they could double up that---if they really want to.

I doubt higher payouts figures into it in any way.

I tend to agree with this, while I would like to see it get bigger the Jump will probably be from $15k to $20k at the most. the hope is probably bring in more people in future years by making it a coveted tournament that doesnt occur each year. this could be a chance to bring the sport to national television in the future years as well

For old time's sake:
goldcourse.jpg

I don't see how it will help it be more important, if anything it will make it more obscure and less important:

Let's say the 2012 USWDGC is televised by some miracle, here are some scenarios:

1) Bob to Jimmy:

Bob- Hey, did you see that the US Disc golf championships is on ESPN 22 this year?
Jimmy- Yeah, must be a new thing because I tried to look it up and they didn't do it last year...

2) Kyle to Shelly:

Kyle- Hey Shel, I can't wait for the 2013 USDGC, that stuff was intense on the deuce deuce last year.
Shelly- Hmmm, I can't seem to find any info on it this year....guess they quit doing it...

ETC.

Just bummed there's a little less golfing going on in America during the odd years. All we can really know for sure is that there will most likely be some unexpected consequences with this decision, possibly good or bad. I look forward to seeing where this leads though.

Recognize the silver lining is the sport is growing fast internationally and that can only help the potential visibility and interest in the U.S. population and media over time. Innova needs to turn toward global growth with its overseas partners besides increasing emphasis on the growth of U.S. amateur play.

Less golfing for Pro's more for Am's according to the press release. Most of us are Ams. I would like to see the USDGC here every year, why can't they add another NT/major event in Europe. There must be something else going on.

Anyways, Kyle always foot faults and Shelly signs her name on baskets...

Less golfing for Pro's more for Am's according to the press release. Most of us are Ams. I would like to see the USDGC here every year, why can't they add another NT/major event in Europe. There must be something else going on.

Anyways, Kyle always foot faults and Shelly signs her name on baskets...

Yeah but she puts her phone number on there and I hear she has a wicked "power grip" if ya know what I'm sayin'? :p

Innova needs to turn toward global growth with its overseas partners besides increasing emphasis on the growth of U.S. amateur play.

Pffft. As long as we're saying what Innova "needs" to do: Innova needs to stop wasting so much time and money on "pros" when they really need grassroots growth in this nation to make this game more than the tiny blip that it is.

Hmmm, maybe that's what they're doing.

It will raise more money, if you had a second year of Roc sales going towards it, just this year alone it raised 58K for sales to partners.

We really don't have a choice, it IS going to happen.

Well then, I am boycotting the 2011 event. There is no way I am spotting it.

I've played in it and really didn't enjoy the event. Stupid golden rope OB's on every hole. I wasted many years learning how to get out of trouble from errant shots. At USDGC you just take a penalty and walk back to the fairway. It just wasn't my style of golf. I'm not knocking the course, i've done fairly well there in the past without the rope.

Perhaps every other year someone will step up and create an event in the US that will rival the USDGC. I think the Vibram has that opportunity.

Pffft. As long as we're saying what Innova "needs" to do: Innova needs to stop wasting so much time and money on "pros" when they really need grassroots growth in this nation to make this game more than the tiny blip that it is.

Hmmm, maybe that's what they're doing.

First and foremost, they need to quit screwing with the rancho roc mold.

While I'm not a fan of this idea, there are many examples of this practice in other sports. The Olympics, the world cup and the european championships are huge events that may be more prestigious due to only being held every 4 years. With that said, there must be another reason for the change that wasn't a part of the press release.

While I'm not a fan of this idea, there are many examples of this practice in other sports. The Olympics, the world cup and the european championships are huge events that may be more prestigious due to only being held every 4 years. With that said, there must be another reason for the change that wasn't a part of the press release.

Then they should create a World Cup of Disc Golf or something similar and hold that every two years, like in Hockey. Look at ball golf and tennis, they have their major "Opens" every year. Ball golf also has things like the Presidents Cup and Ryders Cup that are thought of as very prestigious and are only held every other year.

Not that I am a big time follower of Disc Golf events, but the whole idea seems silly.

Innova has been very generous to my cause and I would never say anything negative about their support of the sport. If this helps them step it up in any way then I am with them. If they are the majority of the bread behind this event then the promoters need to step up and obtain sponsorship and stop leaning on "daddy" so much.

Latest posts