• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

USDGC results-exactly what people were worried about?

Everybody on DGCR throws in $50 to make the DGCR Open next year! :popcorn:

haha! asking the internet for money is like [fill in the blank]

I really wonder if Innova is struggling to stay afloat. They went from saying that it would be an every other year format (which could work) to making it always this format. I'm sure they put a lot of chips in the USDGC basket, but unforunately it didn't make them what they thought. (I wonder how you actually quantify the business gained from the USDGC).

This sport would be fine without Innova, someone else would step up. I like how the PDGA is stepping up and running a Major, kudos to them. That won't limit sponsorship opportunities.

innova has gotten discs into major retailers such as dick's, etc... i doubt they are struggling...

they were running usdgc as a "loss leader" attempting to show big media there was a vehicle for high end dg competition... this has not worked out...

the pdga's "major" had virtually zero info available about it until a couple of weeks before the event and was roundly ignored by everyone... i'm sure they will continue to run it at their usual level of efficiency...

the idea that the sport would be fine without innova and "someone else will step up" is absolutely absurd...

non disc golfers don't care about disc golf... therefore it will never make successful tv (this is what limits sponsorship opportunities)... therefore the $ for events has to keep coming from the same place as always... the player base... innova has tried the "huge professional event" model and it has admittedly been a failure in at least some of it's goals...

You guys talking about John's lack of PDGA rounds seem to forget that he is in NW FL and Southern Nationals territory. There are hardly any PDGA tournaments in that area.

re: Innova's losses

I believe, though I'm not certain, that a part of this is the enormous number of hours their paid employees have devoted to the USDGC. Anyone who's run a local C-tier, then seen the scale of the USDGC, can imagine what they've devoted to it over the past decade, and understand their reluctance to continue doing so.

the idea that the sport would be fine without innova and "someone else will step up" is absolutely absurd...

haha. there are enough people in this country and courses established that if innova went down, either another current company would up its production, or possibly a manufacturer would take a chance seeing a gap in the market.

I'm not arguing that I wouldn't miss Innova, I'm arguing that disc golf would not be hurt that much. A sport does not rely on it's manufacturers.

Good Morning people,
My name is Ronda Key, I am an owner of a disc golf store,a disc golfer,Pres. of my local club,teacher of dg in our schools, and John Key is my brother.

This thread was brought to my attention yesterday by a club member. While my brother is grown man and can speak for himself, I personally take offence to anybody saying or posting untruths about any of my family members. Not sure if some are trying to be Mr. Big****s or they are just out and out liers. What ever the case may be, I dont appreciate it. Know your facts or shut your mouth!

If you want to dog the USDGC and Innova, be my guest, but the facts are the USDGC was losing money! The only way to move the sport to the next level, is to get MORE than the top 10 pros competing at all the big events. Do I agree totally with the way it was done? NO Am I tired of watching the same people compete at every big event? YES All of the guys/girls that were givin the chance to qualify and compete at the USDGC, were people that would probably never had the chance to go otherwise. Due to rent,car,food, life in general is what keeps them from travel. Dont get me wrong, I have had alot of the Pros in my store. I talk to Nikko on the phone, have great respect for all of them. But in order for disc golf to move to the next level there has to be more than them. Should they have picked the USDGC to do this? MAYBE, MAYBE NOT But it did showcase alittle of the bigger picture.

As for my brother, I am very proud of him for even going, mush less winning a tournament like this. He had never competed in or on a course like this, so Congrats to him.

Ronda Key

As for my brother, I am very proud of him for even going, mush less winning a tournament like this. He had never competed in or on a course like this, so Congrats to him.

I think what's lost in all this is the fact that John put together four strong rounds on a very difficult course. Winthrop can turn a good round bad in a hurry and it seems like John managed to avoid letting the course beat him. That in itself is quite an accomplishment. I echo your congratulations.

I think everyone says congrats to the winner, that isn't the discussion i don't believe. That course is hard to tame.

We all seem to be upset with Innova, USDGC and DGU and rightfully so.

Definitely not "we all".

Debatebly not "rightfully so".

Unless the position is, "Innova created this wonderful thing, at their own effort and expense. They are obligated to keep doing it forever because we like it."

I'm sorry, it should read, "Several of us seem to be upset with Innova, USDGC and DGU and those of us who are have legitimate concerns / criticisms."

Better? lol. The point is that I don't think anybody has claimed Key did anything wrong by winning.

I'm sorry, it should read, "Several of us seem to be upset with Innova, USDGC and DGU and those of us who are have legitimate concerns / criticisms."

Better? lol. The point is that I don't think anybody has claimed Key did anything wrong by winning.

Yeah, I'll go along with that.

If you extend it to "extreme disappointments as the demise of the USDGC as we knew it", I'll even join you.

Yeah, I'll go along with that.

If you extend it to "extreme disappointments as the demise of the USDGC as we knew it", I'll even join you.

I'll throw that in. USDGC is in trouble in general. It'll be hard to convince people to take of work for a week of dg for trophy only and not many volunteers helping out. Might as well just play the ropes on spectator day for free.

I have a ForumManCrush on ThreePutt, DavidSauls, sometimes even Dave242.

and biscoe.

Know why I like these guys? They are logical (well-reasoned), they demonstrate the wisdom of experience (they're old like me? ha ha), they step back and take a bigger view, and they're kind while doing it.

So refreshing.

I'm glad Mr. Key had a great time but I still do not want to watch him play. Bring back the Pros! I'll gladly pay double the entry fee!

I'm glad Mr. Key had a great time but I still do not want to watch him play. Bring back the Pros! I'll gladly pay double the entry fee!

Yeah... it was pretty brutal to be a spotter out there this year.

I was spotting on Hole 5's water crossing shot. I watched some guy (actually, multiple guys) throw one in the middle of the lake (not even close to getting across), pull out another disc and try again... and again... and again.

"There's goes your 20 strokes".

The only thing more brutal than watching people worse than me play was the sunburn I got from standing there watching people worse than me play.

"Can someone throw a good shot? Please!"
DSCJNKY

"CAN" BELIEVE AN 880 RATED PLAYER WON IT.

I think it is such a disgrace what they have done to this event moving it to every other year. This is the DEFINING event of the sport. To have an amateur beat pros like Barry Shultz, Ken Climo, and, many, many others...is just blasphemy. It defeats the purpose of disc golf by taking the primary "big payout" event and letting am's "wup" the pros with their projected sandbagging or non-sandbagging scores. While it is still my goal to one day be a pro, I still obstained from competing in this event because of the blasphemy I feel it brings to the sport. I am disgusted at this.

So...did this guy point a gun at somebody and tell them to throw bad? You guys are jumping on someone who beat pros why exactly?

Latest posts