• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Using the term folf ??? frowned upon?

This is an easy one. The press release should have the phrase "...disc golf, also known as frisbee golf, frolf, and folf, ..." and then use the term disc golf exclusively from that point on.

This also happens to be good for online searches, as you hit a few potential keywords in that sentence.

I personally don't care what people call it, but I usually say disc golf. Then I say frisbee golf if I get a blank stare or the person thinks I said disco, but that doesn't happen much in Austin. As others have pointed out, the only reason it isn't called Frisbee Golf is because Whamo wasn't cool with that. I think even Steady Ed wanted to call it frisbee golf, but I may be wrong on that point.

Last edited:
I believe Disc Golf > Frisbee Golf > Frolf > Folf is the caste system for DG.

I also enjoy hearing people emphasize different words. I say DISC golf while some say disc GOLF.

I see 3 courses within 20 miles of Columbus, WI (Birds Ruins DGC, Vallarta DGC, Rock River DGC) with "Disc Golf" in the title.
I'm not seeing any courses with "frolf" or "folf" in the title.

I've never heard anyone in person refer to the sport as Frolf. Frisbee Golf, sure. But I've never ventured outside of the central part of West Michigan much for disc golf either.

The term frisbee golf accurately described what the game was at the time and around Louisiana the courses had these round concrete things to catch the frisbee. They would be used as trash cans by non golfers. Years later a friend said that I should try the newer disc golf course that opened. People that have played both know that there is a big difference in how far they would stay air born. If you are introducing newbies, call it what it currently is. We don't use frisbees anymore, so a modern newby would have never played frisbee golf. So why not just call it what it is today... Disc Golf, unless you like using out dated terminology.

Come on, guys, get a grip. It WAS called "Frisbee golf" after Ed invented it because......we played it with FRISBEES at the time. Sheesh.
History is pretty clear after that---Wham-O screwed the pooch. But some still use the few Frisbee golf discs available( though their esteem is only about the level of a Groove, yet still far above a 10m Brick).
Anyhoo, sometimes "Frisbee golf" is the only way to breach the closed-mind brain barrier of the general public. "Folf" and "Frolf"? Their heads might explode.

I like the term "frolf", it reminds me of the word "frolic", which would most aptly describes my level of play.

I heard that "frolf" is when you play with any Frisbee or disc, but you ONLY make up your object targets and you play in parks,forests ,etc: but, do not play on actual courses and do not have baskets. If played on a real course with baskets it is disc golf.
Also, "frolf" has no rules or etiquette, and you make up pars as you go.
They are 2 different games entirely

By perpetuating the use of the frisbee in the game's name we are unwittingly sending cheap plastic flying discs to an untimely demise. First timers and noobs show up to a course thinking they can throw a dollar store frisbee and are quickly disappointed when the plastic shatters after the first tree hit. All of you crusading to call it frolf or folf are plastic sadists. Won't you please think of the frisbees?

By perpetuating the use of the frisbee in the game's name we are unwittingly sending cheap plastic flying discs to an untimely demise. First timers and noobs show up to a course thinking they can throw a dollar store frisbee and are quickly disappointed when the plastic shatters after the first tree hit. All of you crusading to call it frolf or folf are plastic sadists. Won't you please think of the frisbees?

Oh, the frismanity!
;)

i dont tink anyone was crusading and WANTING to call it frolf. I think John M has the best post yet . . .wheather true or not. LOL

Save us lord prerube!

I've got bigger fish to fry with this little game we all love.