• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Using the term folf ??? frowned upon?

Someone said frolf to Jules too.

53559528.jpg

don't you guys also (incorrectly) call soda "pop?"
Most of the country north of the 37th parallel (at least by land mass) calls it pop. And the term is correct, unlike the one folks in the South use (unless of course they are actually drinking some variant of Coca-Cola).

2012-11-09-Screenshot20121109at3.05.00PM.png

Interesting... I grew up calling it "pop" then somewhere along my travels I evolved into calling it soda, because even if that's not standard for the area, it's universally understood. In some areas you get a weird stare if you say "pop"

"Frolf" is the noise I made in the bathroom yesterday when I lost my lunch. Nobody wants to play a game named after vomit noises.

I call it soda...and I'm in the pocket of Wisconsin where that seems to be the norm.

I dated a girl from Texas, and it took me a while to get used to her calling everything carbonated "Coke".

Most of the country north of the 37th parallel (at least by land mass) calls it pop. And the term is correct, unlike the one folks in the South use (unless of course they are actually drinking some variant of Coca-Cola).

2012-11-09-Screenshot20121109at3.05.00PM.png

Actually it's a slight misnomer, in the south we do typically say Coke or Soft Drink but sine Coke has its headquarters here and it's the most widely distributed here most of the time theft actually are drinking a Coke.

Is "folf" now frowned upon in serious circles? I'm trying to educate people in my town that has a new 9 hole course and a lot of people are saying "folf" as opposed to disc golf.

Help me out there!

I don't know what constitutes "serious circles".

But I've only heard "folf" or "frolf" spoken once. When I read it in this forums it strikes me as a silly name, for purely subjective reasons, but of no consequence.

It only matters if the users are looking out into the wider world. If you want to search for organized competitions, courses in other places, forums such as this, etc., the widely-used "disc golf" will be far more effective.

I really dislike the term frolf and sometime in my 30s switched from calling it "pop" to "soda". I was recently called out by my wife for over clearifying by using "ball golf" to refer to traditional golf

I don't know what constitutes "serious circles".

But I've only heard "folf" or "frolf" spoken once. When I read it in this forums it strikes me as a silly name, for purely subjective reasons, but of no consequence.

It only matters if the users are looking out into the wider world. If you want to search for organized competitions, courses in other places, forums such as this, etc., the widely-used "disc golf" will be far more effective.

FWIW, if you google "frolf course", DGCR comes up as the second and third results, just behind the PDGA course directory and ahead of DGU and DGScene. :p

FWIW, if you google "frolf course", DGCR comes up as the second and third results, just behind the PDGA course directory and ahead of DGU and DGScene. :p

I would have never discovered that on my own!

I've searched for disc golf clubs in certain towns, disc golf groups and event pages on Facebook, disc golf stores, and have my doubts about how effective "frolf" would have been. Buy, hey, Google is smart, maybe they'd figure it out for me.

I use "soda" and "pop" interchangeably - mostly determined by which part of the state I happen to be in.

Frolf, folf, etc. doesn't really bother me, but I do call it disc golf.

That soda pop map is disturbingly accurate - I live in NC, which happens to have pretty much the highest number of "other" squares, and sure enough, most people in my area have always simply said "you want a drink?" or "gonna buy a drink." Not soda, pop, or coke - drink.

That's pretty cool, actually.

Interesting... I grew up calling it "pop" then somewhere along my travels I evolved into calling it soda, because even if that's not standard for the area, it's universally understood. In some areas you get a weird stare if you say "pop"

Ditto.

I grew up in a "pop" county. Never even heard it called anything else growing up, unless it was some old timer using the term "soda pop."

Moved one state away for college; everyone there called it "soda" and would give you a really funny look if you said "pop." Some people didn't even know what "pop" was...

So, I started calling it soda.

Then I ran into the people who exclusively call it a "coke." :doh: :D

I want to know what the "other" is....please don't tell me the Juggalos and their Faygo aren't affecting the demographics that much...:\ :|

I grew up calling it soda, then refused to change when I lived in pop areas for most of a decade. Now I have my midwestern wife calling it soda too, which really irks her family. :p

Regional idioms are funny, us Californians get weird looks in other places when we put "the" in front of freeway numbers, it sounds funny to me when people don't do that.

Ditto.

I grew up in a "pop" county. Never even heard it called anything else growing up, unless it was some old timer using the term "soda pop."

Moved one state away for college; everyone there called it "soda" and would give you a really funny look if you said "pop." Some people didn't even know what "pop" was...

So, I started calling it soda.

Ditto x2 :D

Michigan is a mostly "pop" state so growing up it was a pop. Moved to Colorado for college and pop came with a lot of odd looks. "Soda" was the preferred term there, pop is a noise soda is a carbonated beverage, who knew? :D

Latest posts