• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

VERY overstable mids

Yup. If you're worried about dings buy an evo wizard. Or thrash a soft wizard and then you have an even better putter because it's softer and flies straighter, and it'll work great for anhyzers and turnovers. Hole 9 at Arboretum is one of my favorite holes to drive with a wizard, I just throw it high with good snap and a touch of anny and it holds that line and glides out 320'.

I used to love rhynos when I was an oat monkey. They taught me to drive with a putter though so I love them for that reason. A year ago when I bought my first wizard (175g too) I could do NOTHING with it on a drive 250' long but turn it over. Heh, come a long way since then.

For the record I'm 6'4, do high intensity weight lifting and in general am very active, but Dan Davis (who is much skinnier and shorter than me) is a local that can outdrive me any day of the week.

Yup. If you're worried about dings buy an evo wizard. Or thrash a soft wizard and then you have an even better putter because it's softer and flies straighter, and it'll work great for anhyzers and turnovers. Hole 9 at Arboretum is one of my favorite holes to drive with a wizard, I just throw it high with good snap and a touch of anny and it holds that line and glides out 320'.

I used to love rhynos when I was an oat monkey. They taught me to drive with a putter though so I love them for that reason. A year ago when I bought my first wizard (175g too) I could do NOTHING with it on a drive 250' long but turn it over. Heh, come a long way since then.

For the record I'm 6'4, do high intensity weight lifting and in general am very active, but Dan Davis (who is much skinnier and shorter than me) is a local that can outdrive me any day of the week.

lol Thanks for pointing that out. I was excited to make it to the basket there with my X XL. It was a big accomplishment for me.

Are either one of you guys the dude with, I think it was red hair and a beard, I saw launching discs back to back from right by the first few spots of the parking lot?

That's John, he's really good. He's taught me a lot and were about neck and neck with distance drivers, though he doesn't have **** on me when it comes to putter driving :)

XL isn't a bad disc for that hole. Over the past year I went from a valk, to a leopard, then a roc and finally wizards for it.

Last edited:
I appreciate all of the advise out there on this topic. Maybe I will start trying more lines some of my understable mids, but as a matter of personal preference I will continue to keep using the drone rather than throwing a driver. If it works for you great, but don't me it doesn't help me when you've never seen me play. I do believe that there is great advice on this site that for the most part will help the masses, but I do believe that there are things that help dgers get to the next level and helps to seperate themselves from the rest of the mass. My ability to consistantly use osmr has by far saved me more strokes than weighed me down. If you don't like 'em don't throw 'em. I don't like throwing certain plastics does that mean that my game is going to suffer, no, but I does mean that I will learn to play my style of disc. Then the only question left at the end of the day is who won? Maybe you do beat me with an overstable drive powered down, but I can at least say "you" beat me, not me failing to perform someone elses technique.

That's the part I think I needed to hear. They "why" behind the opinions. When you know someone has been there, it's a little easier to take them at their word. I know that I've been asking a lot of the same type of questions over and over again the last month or so. And I do appreciate all of the knowledge experts on this site being patient with explaining things to me as I am not a skilled linguist. I had to go look up "espouse" discspeed. I don't pretend to be on the debate team.

Going way off topic here... I'm working on two things to improve my game right now; the first is how I look at a course. I've paid a great deal of attention to the layouts of new courses I've traveled to recently, looking at landing areas, and actually playing position shots rather than just how far I can throw it(which compared to these young guys isn't very far) because the best part of my game right now is my accuracy. Watching some of the British Open really made that click. The guy hit a 5 iron off the tee, and then a 3 iron to the green to avoid all the trouble/bunkers that would have came into play if he went big iron or driver off the tee. As I travel to Idlewild next month, I'm pretty sure that I will be using a Buzzz or a Wizard off the tee on a few of those holes to be in better position for my second shot applying this skill.

The second thing I'm convinced I need to work on is being able to do whatever throw a shot dictates with no reservations. I throw strong backhand, have a good thumber/tommy, and a wild 350' sidearm. Until I learn to control that flick as strongly as I have some of my other shots, I will never be the golfer I want to be.

I come here for knowledge, and I do appreciate you all sharing everything you have read and learned. Practical application is best, but knowing the theory behind what we're trying to do is important, and that is what I am here to learn. I'd be happy to read any refresher articles you might recommend. I've checked out DGR in the past, but it's been a while. Some things may make better sense now that I am a little further down the road.

I really really appreciate threads like this that have lots of disc golf information without spam etc. Your argument is needed, and my arguments are needed, no matter the side we take. I've learned quite a lot from these guys, and been on both sides of conversations. I also went with overstable mids, I used to carry wasps because I just couldn't get a handle on drones. I bought a drone then left it on a hole, and really really wanted a proD drone. I've seen some great shots executed by both OSMR's and drivers or less stable discs. I threw a ton of driver shots today while others on my card were throwing rocs. Part of it was consistency on my forehand or the way I wanted the disc to skip or fly around a corner. I would throw a 150' forehand anhyzer upshot with a wizard, then I would turn around and throw a 150' forehand hyzer upshot with a XWildcat.

As for wizards, I definitely agree with height doesn't matter, and to get multiple wizards. I currently have 3, with the evo having NO dings after months of use. It's still beastly overstable. I'm 6'0 140-145 lbs, aka a twig. My wizards I'm confident with up to 250, and I know I can get them up to 300.

Is an overstable Mid really necessary?

So my midrange set-up right now is this:
175 Z Wasp
174 Z Buzzz
172 Z Comet (Purely for anhyzers)
and then I sometimes use a Soft Ion for approaches that are too far to jump putt but too close for my buzzz.

My question comes in about the wasp because ever since I got the Z Buzzz I don't think I've used the Wasp once as the Buzzz holds a great straight line with a slight hyzer finish but it also holds a good true hyzer line as well. I know the wasp might be a little better in windier situations but it seems like I'd be better off with a more overstable fairway driver than an overstable mid in that situation. Any thoughts?

I have a Champion gator and it is an invaluable disc to me. I play at a course where 15mph+ winds are common. But after having the disc for a while now I have started using is for much more than just windy situations. On shorter relatively wide open holes I can park the gator right next to the basket because of it's reliable turn. Also overstable mids are great for out of trouble utility shots.

First off my overstable mid is a flx drone which is more overstable than the wasp or buzz.

I think the drone is one of the best discs in my bag! It makes a lot of shots easier than they would have been otherwise. Into the wind is a great example. Throwing a driver is always an option, but the drone adds the distance limitation so I know I won't be overthrowing certain shots.

Another place I use the drone is for soft short s-curve shots and putts. You can get out of some gnarly areas and end up close to the pin and have great runs at making putts you otherwise likely wouldn't be able to.

The drone is also the only disc I can sidearm and I use it on holes under 250' with great success.

In my opinion the buzz can probably do the job of the wasp relatively easily but a really overstable mid is a must have in the bag.

I have a Champion gator and it is an invaluable disc to me. I play at a course where 15mph+ winds are common. But after having the disc for a while now I have started using is for much more than just windy situations. On shorter relatively wide open holes I can park the gator right next to the basket because of it's reliable turn. Also overstable mids are great for out of trouble utility shots.
I completely agree with you but somebody will be by shortly to tell you why you're wrong. You can get better performance out of an overstable driver with a powered down swing. You should also be better at forming hyzer lines.

I'd be better off with a more overstable fairway driver than an overstable mid in that situation. Any thoughts?

Big debate here...but I agree. Most of our experts here would suggest using a workable mid, like your Buzzz, and workable stable fairway, and an overstable driver. Between the three, you can cover most everything.

I used to carry overstable mids, but through practice, am learning to power down overstable drivers, such as the Whippet (very nice for mid-range use) Firebirds, etc. I even use my Eagles for big fading shots at less than 300ft and they work very well.

Last edited:
The problem I see with powering down overstable drivers as opposed to throwing overstable mids is the unreliable skip that happens with overstable drivers.

I'd say that it's really nice having a mid that's Z Wasp/new Roc overstable for winds and higher power hyzer shots that Buzzzes can "push through" (just go straight on a hyzer angle rather than going left). It's the Demon/Drone overstable mids that I don't think are necessary.

Zenbot:
I have a good grasp on forming Hyzer lines but sometimes a little wind will take a less stable disc off the desired hyzer line.

One nice thing about a flx drone as compared to an overstable driver is that you can throw hard low shots without worrying about skip at the end. You might get a 5 foot skip instead of a 40 foot skip.

One nice thing about a flx drone as compared to an overstable driver is that you can throw hard low shots without worrying about skip at the end. You might get a 5 foot skip instead of a 40 foot skip.

Star Firebird....holds nicely...plastic firmness plays a large role in this, too.

Funny, I ditched my Star Whippet because it wouldn't skip. You could probably use a FLX Predator to get softer landings.

I'd say that it's really nice having a mid that's Z Wasp/new Roc overstable for winds and higher power hyzer shots that Buzzzes can "push through" (just go straight on a hyzer angle rather than going left). It's the Demon/Drone overstable mids that I don't think are necessary.

I think the drone lets me throw those shots without worrying as much about form perfection or how far I am throwing the shot. It's just reliable. I can throw my drone at full power into a 15mph headwind and it just won't flip.

Latest posts