• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Veterans Rude To Noobs

I'm always willing to help new players. I usually keep it simple and offer 1 or 2 peices of advice. If they politely ask questions, then I'll be more than happy to help. I admit though I do get a littler perturbed by players who have no etiquette; walking around while others are shooting, talking on the tee-pad, playing their radio loud so that everyone has to hear it.

My two cents to new players, please take the time to learn the rules, don't be afraid to ask either. And Courtesy and Etiquette go a long way.

I am mean to noobs because they should not under any circumstance copy anything I do on a DG course. I am simply practicing tough love. But I am nice to them online.

craftsman and dirtdog, I just actually recently played cass benton for the first time two weeks or so ago. I went with my girlfriend and a friend we know who played their tried to show us around but we still got lost due to the lack of tee signs. Luckly, there was another group of locals in front of us who gladly pointed us in the direction of each hole. So, there is still some nicer players there. But then again I went at like 10 or 11 on a monday so maybe the scene was a little different because it wasn't crowded at all when I went.

I just kind of ignore the chuckers in my area, most of them are nice enough but I'd rather just play though by myself. me and the guys will have a laugh whenever we see a frat boy throw a champ boss on a 200 foot hole but never to their face

Last edited:
craftsman and dirtdog, I just actually recently played cass benton for the first time two weeks or so ago. I went with my girlfriend and a friend we know who played their tried to show us around but we still got lost due to the lack of tee signs. Luckly, there was another group of locals in front of us who gladly pointed us in the direction of each hole. So, there is still some nicer players there. But then again I went at like 10 or 11 on a monday so maybe the scene was a little different because it wasn't crowded at all when I went.

Yeah, dont get me wrong, there are some great folks out there.
The 9 am old guys are always nice, jerry and his dog are great, the group of good ams that mob are super welcoming, the leauge talent is rich and warmly welcomed me into competitive play....not to name drop but its also where i met and hung out with one of my favorite female players.

Feel free to message me if youre lookin to play in the area.

Glad you had a good experience. Don't get me wrong just like Craft said there are many great people out there, but twice as many cass holes. The course is great just needs some work. It is still one of my favorite local course and my home course.

"twice as many.."

Lol, my younger brother was looking to play a few weeks ago so we went to cass at 5pm on a weekday.
Multiple groups waiting at every tee. At hole 13's tee i counted 17 people waiting not including those playing the whole. Asking to play through was pointless.

the only time I will play Cass is in the early morning times on weekends or if I get out during the week it would be mid day. Now that schools out it looks like a day care center for troubled youths during the day as well.

Lol, my younger brother was looking to play a few weeks ago so we went to cass at 5pm on a weekday.
Multiple groups waiting at every tee. At hole 13's tee i counted 17 people waiting not including those playing the whole. Asking to play through was pointless.

WTF? Are there no other decent courses in the area?

WTF? Are there no other decent courses in the area?

In wayne county, iirc, mi's highest populated county, there are only 4 courses. Cass is the only 18 hole, one 9'r is in detroit and not worth playing, one is super technical w/2 water carries that are unfriendly to low power players, and the other has a river through its bowl shaped setting and requires big d and putts to score 2's and 3's. Most cassuals have only ever been to cass.

It's kind of funny, I've played most of the courses on the west side of the state from ludington down to k'zoo and never been anywhere near the east side. But I still hear all about the legendary cass holes :p

I admit to being annoyed with players who bring 6-8 people with one disc each who all don't know how to play and they won't let me play through as I usually play single.

Other than that I try to promote the sport by teaching people tricks or shots to use on the local course.
(And attempting to trade beginner discs to beginners who shouldn't be throwing tiedye bosses anyways ;) )

The only time I have ever seen this was at Gillies in Richmond. The locals just gave us odd looks and refused to even talk to us. It was odd, I guess we should have had Hysell with us to bust their chops.

but we were not noobs, just outsiders.

Had great luck so far.

As a newbie (sorta, 2yrs as a chucker then a year off and finally getting seriously hooked this year), I have had nothing but positive experiences with other players. And this is in several states (trucker driver so I am always on the hunt for a course to play during downtime). Just recently me and the wife were on break in Raleigh NC and decided to check out the Kentwood park course. Just our luck they had a league starting right as we pulled up. We didn't feel up to league play so just went solo. Now this is a small course with lots of overlapping holes and they had a large league going so it was crowded. Even so no one seemed to mind us playing and were actually extremely helpful. If any of those guys frequent this board then thanks again for being patient with some slow newbs. We did let a ton of groups play through but never felt rushed or pressured at all.

In wayne county, iirc, mi's highest populated county, there are only 4 courses. Cass is the only 18 hole, one 9'r is in detroit and not worth playing, one is super technical w/2 water carries that are unfriendly to low power players, and the other has a river through its bowl shaped setting and requires big d and putts to score 2's and 3's. Most cassuals have only ever been to cass.

What is the super technical course that has two water holes and what is the other course that has the river flowing through it.?? I live downriver, where we only have two niners and someone just stole the nine basket at the better of the two, but can't think of a wayne county course that has water in it :\ Unless youre talking about Ponds at Lakeshore but I didn't think that was wayne county

What is the super technical course that has two water holes and what is the other course that has the river flowing through it.?? I live downriver, where we only have two niners and someone just stole the nine basket at the better of the two, but can't think of a wayne county course that has water in it :\ Unless youre talking about Ponds at Lakeshore but I didn't think that was wayne county

2 water holes could be The farm at founders, and the river one could be Lola. Both in Wayne county

Played my first time ever last week at Upper Macungie Park in Fogelsville, PA. Course was pretty much empty except for two guys. They took my girlfriend and I through the whole course teaching us a lot. They were really great.