• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Veterans Rude To Noobs

dirtdog48188

Par Member
I know that not everyone falls into this stereotype but lately around the local courses in Michigan I have noticed that some of the more experienced players are not the nicest to some of the newer/amateur players on the course. I have seen plenty of people laughing at newer players, ragging on their cheaper not "pro quality" equipment and just flat out being rude. I make an effort to try to be kind to all the players (new and old) that I encounter and try to promote the sport in a positive light. Has anyone else experienced this attitude on their local course and what do you do to discourage it?

I've never seen it on the course, but I sure see it on this forum a lot! lol I try to steer those rudebois into something like tennis or ball golf, where they'll feel at home. Those seem to be the sports for people with elitist attitudes and egos that appear strong on the outside but are mushy and scared on the inside. :)

Depends on the veteran and the noob, I suppose.
I try to be helpful when possible, but I'm not gonna lie, there are many noobs that I would just as soon discourage from playing. The "Get in the hole!" one disc wonders come to mind.

I know that not everyone falls into this stereotype but lately around the local courses in Michigan I have noticed that some of the more experienced players are not the nicest to some of the newer/amateur players on the course. I have seen plenty of people laughing at newer players, ragging on their cheaper not "pro quality" equipment and just flat out being rude. I make an effort to try to be kind to all the players (new and old) that I encounter and try to promote the sport in a positive light. Has anyone else experienced this attitude on their local course and what do you do to discourage it?

It happens here to you Noob!

Totally kidding of course, welcome to the site (well I have no idea how long you have been here just that you only had 10 posts).

I would venture to guess it happens everywhere in many sports and other activities. I doubt disc golf is any different, but I certainly have seen clubs and metro areas that seem to have thngs really put together well and have excellent clubs, then I have seen areas where there is no organization and noone works together. It sucks!

I just wish everyone could help each other positively promote the sport no mater how long someone has been playing, or how many discs they carry. While it can generally be asumed that those with nice bags full of discs are going to be the advocates, there will be some exceptions to the rule.

Let's stay positive out there!

I've had a similar experience at Mt. Airy. I was playing there with a buddy of mine this spring and we caught up to a group of casuals that were waiting behind a group of 6 playing doubles in front of them. The casuals were not amazing by any means, but they were definitely moving faster than the doubles group and they mentioned how they were waiting on every hole and were not allowed to play through. Now there were five of us waiting behind the group of 6, who were busy looking for their disc on the big downhill shot (hole 15 I think). Finally, one of the doubles guys waves us in and says we can play through since they're looking for a disc. While we were throwing, they found their disc and continued to play so we waited for them to hole out. As they were going to the next hole another one of the guys playing doubles yelled at us with an arrogant voice how he was going to let us know when they are clear on the next hole since apparently we "like to throw in on them". I guess he didn't know one of his buddies waved us in. Very poor etiquette.

It happens here to you Noob!

Totally kidding of course, welcome to the site (well I have no idea how long you have been here just that you only had 10 posts).

I would venture to guess it happens everywhere in many sports and other activities. I doubt disc golf is any different, but I certainly have seen clubs and metro areas that seem to have thngs really put together well and have excellent clubs, then I have seen areas where there is no organization and noone works together. It sucks!

I just wish everyone could help each other positively promote the sport no mater how long someone has been playing, or how many discs they carry. While it can generally be asumed that those with nice bags full of discs are going to be the advocates, there will be some exceptions to the rule.

Let's stay positive out there!

Long time listener, 1st time caller. Ive been following this site for over a year. It did seem cliquish but then I figured I might as well man up and join. I appreciate the great input everyone puts into this forum and site.:clap:

I try to be helpful when possible, but I'm not gonna lie, there are many noobs that I would just as soon discourage from playing. The "Get in the hole!" one disc wonders come to mind.

Everyone has to start somewhere. I've noticed that while many one disc wonders never evolve past that, they rarely show up to the course without several friends, usually at least one of them new to the game. While some of those friends become 1 discers in turn, I have seen quite a few get addicted and begin to take the sport seriously. If you don't have 1 discers, who's going to show their friends the course?

They need to be reminded that they were the noobs at one time. Aside from that, there will always be db's out there who act like asses.

Yesterday evening I was playing a quick round and without notice I threw down on a pack of noobs. I had no idea they were hanging on the green since its a blind shot and I did look to see if someone was there but missed them. As I walked down to my shot one of the guys was pretty rude with me about my shot and I told him that I had no idea he was there smoking a bowl around the green and since he was out of view I couldn't have known.

He was quick to say well we aren't going to let you play through and you need to wait because we were here first. I was fine with that externally but internally I was sincerely pissed when the group of four noobs proceeded to throw several 100' shots in assorted directions. I walked up to the tee pad after they started walking down the fairway and based a 418' hole, gaining the approval after the noobs saw the shot. As I was walking past them the questios started about how do you do that, and can you show me? So I took some time to teach for a few holes and in the end I hope that I have left a positive lasting impression for these guys about disc golf.

Made sure to also teach the course etiquette as well.

Last edited:
Yesterday evening I was playing a quick round and without notice I threw down on a pack of noobs. I had no idea they were hanging on the green since its a blind shot and I did look to see if someone was there but missed them. As I walked down to my shot one of the guys was pretty rude with me about my shot and I told him that I had no idea he was there smoking a bowl around the green and since he was out of view I couldn't have known. He was quick to say well we aren't going to let you play through and you need to wait because we were here first. I was fine with that externally but I was sincerely pissed when the group of four noobs proceeded to throw several 100' shots in assorted directions. I walked up to the tee pad after they started walking down the fairway and based a 418' hole, gaining the approval after the noobs saw the shot. As I was walking past them the questios started about how do you do that, and can you show me? So I took the time to teach for a few holes and in the end I hope that I have left a positive lasting impression for these guys about disc golf.

You were defiantly the bigger man than most for showing them how to throw after they were so rude to you. Way to step up!

Everyone has to start somewhere. I've noticed that while many one disc wonders never evolve past that, they rarely show up to the course without several friends, usually at least one of them new to the game. While some of those friends become 1 discers in turn, I have seen quite a few get addicted and begin to take the sport seriously. If you don't have 1 discers, who's going to show their friends the course?

While my post is partly in jest, I have no problem with people who only have one disc. A lot of times I'll talk to those guys, see what they're throwing and maybe give them an extra putter or mid if I have one. It's the loud, unaware yahoos that I'd discourage if possible.

In my experience, it's the rec/intermediate level players with a bunch of equipment but not a lot of course etiquette who are the most likely to be rude to newer players. Most of the better players I interacted with as a new player were a lot more tolerant and patient.

^ this.

I play all over metro Detroit regularly, from Ponds at Lakeshore and Rolling Hills to Kensington, to Stony Creek, Riverbends, etc... it's certainly not limited to any one area. In any group you can slap a label on, there are bound to be jerks.

That being said, I haven't seen too many seasoned players behave rudely to n00bs, unless the n00bs had done something the experienced players thought was out of line first. Obviously, that's gonna vary greatly.

I've seen experienced guys act like jerks when they thought it was warranted, and I've asked them "Was that really necessary?" when I thought they're behavior was unwarranted. I mean, isn't it better to clue them in on etiqeutte?

Then again, some n00bs just don't care, and IMO, genuinely earn the wrath of others. That's just part of the human condition, plain and simple. I don't think we're ever gonna get people behaving like they do at a the country club... not sure I want that either, but civility and common courtesy would be nice.

Last edited:
Yesterday evening I was playing a quick round and without notice I threw down on a pack of noobs. I had no idea they were hanging on the green since its a blind shot and I did look to see if someone was there but missed them. As I walked down to my shot one of the guys was pretty rude with me about my shot and I told him that I had no idea he was there smoking a bowl around the green and since he was out of view I couldn't have known.

He was quick to say well we aren't going to let you play through and you need to wait because we were here first. I was fine with that externally but internally I was sincerely pissed when the group of four noobs proceeded to throw several 100' shots in assorted directions. I walked up to the tee pad after they started walking down the fairway and based a 418' hole, gaining the approval after the noobs saw the shot. As I was walking past them the questios started about how do you do that, and can you show me? So I took some time to teach for a few holes and in the end I hope that I have left a positive lasting impression for these guys about disc golf.

Made sure to also teach the course etiquette as well.
:thmbup:

Dg is growing so rapidly in our area but with the lack of courses (mi has tons but wayne county hates dg) its creating some hostility. Check out hole 12's basket @4:30 on leauge day (cass); the leauge players use the basket to practice putting but without ever stoping to let the casual players play the hole.

Dg is growing so rapidly in our area but with the lack of courses (mi has tons but wayne county hates dg) its creating some hostility. Check out hole 12's basket @4:30 on leauge day (cass); the leauge players use the basket to practice putting but without ever stoping to let the casual players play the hole.

I'm working with Livonia City Council to get a 18 hole course put in Rotary Park. Be patient Craftsman:D

The way I see it is maybe they will do the same someday and Ill know I started a chain reaction of awesomeness on the DG course.

I guess a good start would be to seperate the cats from the dogs.

Newb- Someone that is new to something but is working hard to learn the rules, play by them, and is open to suggestions and puts them to use.

Noob- (Insult) Someone that is new to something, but thinks they know everthing and aren't willing to do anything without it being their own idea.

In my experience, it's the rec/intermediate level players with a bunch of equipment but not a lot of course etiquette who are the most likely to be rude to newer players. Most of the better players I interacted with as a new player were a lot more tolerant and patient.

I find this to be true for the most part as well.

Thats awesome. Though im quite busy, please let me know if i can help.

Ya know...when i started (about ten years ago) noobs were different. Everyone excganged greetings as we passed, noobs were gratefull for advice, and there was a real lack of equipment.
Now when i pass unknowns and say hi, im rudely ignored. I put my putter from 16's short up for a putt; a noob asked me about the shot but his friend with 20 discs and 200ft of d quickly cut me off.

In my usual casual group, we have players from one season to 20 yrs expierence. I started with a empty six pack as my bag....so in essessence i dont hate noobs, but man, i do hate cass holes/cassuals. They are truley the worst breed of dg'r ive ever encountered :(
Certain ettiquette needs to be taught but not destroying trees, excessive littering, and other basic manners shouldnt have to be.

While i agree and see where youre coming from, i feel that the noobs are the ones instigating the war ;)