• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf - Second Durability Demo Video

haha, so funny, i just happened to buy a vibram and then come on here to goof around and this post was linked on dgcr's front page. hope i made a good buy.

I like how you were throwing the vibram to where it would land pretty flat and not skip as much as the others. Next time I plan on playing at my nearest concrete DGC I will definately use a vibram putter.:thmbup:

I like how you were throwing the vibram to where it would land pretty flat and not skip as much as the others. Next time I plan on playing at my nearest concrete DGC I will definately use a vibram putter.:thmbup:

You can tell he's doing it on purpose too. Just watch how high his follow-through is on the three other discs compared to the Vibram disc. Spiking discs nose first into the ground vs. sliding them along their bottom; obviously there's not going to be as much damage on the rim when they're not even hitting on the rim for the initial impact.

You can tell he's doing it on purpose too. Just watch how high his follow-through is on the three other discs compared to the Vibram disc. Spiking discs nose first into the ground vs. sliding them along their bottom; obviously there's not going to be as much damage on the rim when they're not even hitting on the rim for the initial impact.

For all we know his putter was hitting a smooth polished spot on the pavement and the others were hitting a roughed up spot.

Lots of conspiracy in this thread.

I honestly think i'll do this when I get a vibram disc. Only reason I havent yet is I already have 3-4 putters I think all work and keep switching and hate it.

Ugggg.... people will find (read: make up) a reason to invalidate anything they feel threatened by.

My most played course (Hot Shots) was built throughout an abandoned housing development where roads line every fairway. I wish i had tried a Ridge sooner then I did (march). I wouldn't have so many dinged up wizards with road rash sitting around.

What exactly are you going to be doing... demo'ing?
Are details posted anywhere?

I'll be there at 2:00 (double check time with The Wright Life) on Saturday (two days from now). We'll do a durability demo, check out the grip of the Vibram discs, and discuss some helpful hints to improving your putting.

If we can find a place to do a CTP contest, we'll also do one with each of the three discs with the prizes being a couple of VPs, Ridges and Summits.

And lastly, we'll be doing a drawing and two people at the demo will get to become Vibram testers.

(Note: We're doing the same thing at Phenix Disc Sports at 10 AM on Saturday.)

Steve, I'm certain you had a marker of where to stand while throwing, did you have a mark on the ground where you were aiming to skip it?

I did have a mark of where to stand. I did not have a mark as to where to aim. I did throw the X-Link first so that I was still fresh and could give it solid arm speed (or at least as solid as I have;))

Please don't tell the higher-ups at Vibram! If I did a sham test, I'd be canned in a second.

But seriously, I would recommend you give this a try. I have done this before and gotten similar results all three times. We'll do this again at Phenix and/or The Wright Life this Saturday. Please come by and let everyone know what you think after that demo. I'll even let you throw the discs. Seriously.

Lots of conspiracy in this thread.

I honestly think i'll do this when I get a vibram disc. Only reason I havent yet is I already have 3-4 putters I think all work and keep switching and hate it.

Please do. And if you are able, make a video of it. Thanks.

i like the test much better than the first!

I wonder which disc and which kind of xlink was it....I already own 6 vps and a ridge but only in soft and reg....the ridge is firm but i don't like it as much as the vp/wiz combo.....

can you make clear rubber discs? or more of the vommit colored ones? i think i have an idea for something cool depending on teh temp of the compression molding of the rubber.

Two things: I went back and looked at the video after reading this, and he's totally right. The X-Links aren't coming at nearly as steep an angle as the other three; and it's not just one or two shots; it's just about every single one done comes in very flat. That doesn't mean, however, that they aren't taking abuse- it just means that scuff test might be a bit deceptive until we see the X-Link bounced hard off the ground and skipped up- that's really how you get that gouging; anything thrown flat is going to scuff the bottom, and hit flat on the wall- where a rubber disc is going to absorb it and grip it more than scuff.

Second: I honestly think your putting yourself into a venue no other company is, and it's got to be hard. Innova and Discraft make money because they've "established" themselves- but mostly because of how much they've shaped the sport, etc. Your company is coming into the game late- but has quite a bit to add to the game. I freaking LOVE the idea of these videos; it'd be great if Innova or Discraft would put a video up for each disc to see how each one should fly when thrown flat- that'd be more fun than flight lines haha. Anyways, keep it up, and I may just have to try one out...

Last edited:
What really caught my eye was the Olsen Slip Test on the ESP, Star and Champ plastic. ESP and Star are supposed to be an improvement in grip over Champ and Z plastic, that was the whole point of those plastics. According to this test, the Champ plastic scored a 3.9 while the Star plastic scored a 3.7 and the ESP a 3.6. The Champ plastic scored better for grip than ESP and Star. Hmmm...

I have always felt that my champ discs were grippier than my star ones. I was under the impression it was more of a durability difference.

What really caught my eye was the Olsen Slip Test on the ESP, Star and Champ plastic. ESP and Star are supposed to be an improvement in grip over Champ and Z plastic, that was the whole point of those plastics. According to this test, the Champ plastic scored a 3.9 while the Star plastic scored a 3.7 and the ESP a 3.6. The Champ plastic scored better for grip than ESP and Star. Hmmm...

well if the slip test was conducted like the rest of them then you can take the results with a grain of salt