• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

Locals I play with ask me all the time, is there any plastic in your bag? There are 4 left and arguably the TP warship could be taken out for the ibex and the mace possibly for the warship but the giant and XXX stay. My game has never been better, and the ascent and I are very good pals now. I think I may break 400ft with a fairway now. A guy I played with during bag tags or flip-ups gave me a firm ascent and said id rather see it thrown the sit. I was very grateful but as soon as I get home my step dad snags it, I'll give ya 10 bucks.....needless to say I let em take it, he needed some vibram in his bag. I finally got to throw it the other day though, thing glided like crazy compared to my medium, so sweet, and I still don't have that 10 dollars.

Last edited:
Saw a picture on Instagram of a proto "float" Obex. Floating Vibram sounds pretty cool.

That does sound cool. I had my Obex float at IL stAte doubles last fall. That hole at the golf course that went back into that little brook area with all the casual water. I threw my disc and it landed just right in about a foot of water that the rim captured a bunch of air and it just sat there on top.

Vibram-lovers...a little advice while I dip my toe in the Vibram water?

After playing a round in a pretty steady and soaking rain, I starting thinking about trying a Vibram disc for the fabled grip in all weather. I was leaning toward trying the Medium Trak to compare against the Leopard and, secondarily, the Medium Ascent as a Teebird comparison. Given my bag (found here!), what do you think?

Id think the track once seasoned could act like a leopard...maybe. Id think the ibex would fill that role better. I love my ascent now, never really threw the teebird. Our local course has a lot of low spots that hold water and it's fun to be able to just pick it up and toss it in and watch the water spin off. I still miss but it's a psychological thing and I'm terrible putter if I'm not practicing.

I am trying to beat a Firm Trak in enough to cover Leopard lines (a 175 and a 159 actually). But I have much more success covering those lines with an Ibex. I use a 169g medium and it can handle any right turns (rhbh) I used to use Leopards for... And I actually like the Ibex more for throwing straight down tunnels.

Edit: As for the Ascents, they have a little less HSS than TBs, won't lose their fade as quickly as TBs do once they start breaking in, and fly a little shorter for me at least. However, they power down great and are more predictable (for me) at all power levels.

And as far as the grip, you will not regret adding any Vibrams to your bag for wet conditions. Vibram grip is unparalleled in wet conditions, cold conditions, and any condition.

Last edited:
I'm playing in a Birdie Bash soon, I think. But I have no clue what to pick.

My favorite disc is a Cobra. A non-Ontario Cobra, for those who know about Cobras. I like how it turns, but also has enough LSS to come out of most things (when fresh) I can do most anything with the disc, from hyzer flips that go to flat, without turning over at all, with a largeish fade, to nice long turnovers that don't come back. I can also put it out about as far as my drivers, on a big swoopy flippy max D line. I'm sure I described that wrong.

From what I've heard about the Ibex and Trak, they both sound like lasers, with good HSS, and not alot of LSS. But that's not my kind of disc. Then I thought about the Summit, but I'm not sure quite how flippy that is.

I was thinking heavy Summit + not heavy Obex. My power isn't so hot. I'd like to hear more about the Summit's stabilities.

As for the Ascents, they have a little less HSS than TBs, won't lose their fade as quickly as TBs do once they start breaking in, and fly a little shorter for me at least..
This is why I'm leaning more towards a Leopard-ish disc than a Teebird-ish one to start off with. I want that Teebird slot to be long and get straighter.

Ibex over the Trak for the Leopard slot? I'm surprised by that suggestion. I generally use my Leopard for tailwinds and some RHFH turnovers. Since I throw LHBH/RHBH/RHFH, I don't have much of a need to throw annys or big turnover shots. Given that, would you guys still recommend the Ibex over the Trak?

I'd still say Ibex. I use them in stronger tailwinds. And they make a much tighter line when thrown straight than Traks, for me at least. But when I bagged Leopards (before I had an Ibex), I used them for tunnel shots and the Ibex definitely took over that role, I'm not sure your arm power or what you prefer for throwing straight. To me, a Trak is like a TL and the domier ones can border on Teebird stability.

Don't get me wrong, the Trak is an awesome disc and flies awesome lines (and flies long!). But for my arm is more of Stable driver than a Neutral/US/finesse like Leopards.

I'm playing in a Birdie Bash soon, I think. But I have no clue what to pick.

My favorite disc is a Cobra. A non-Ontario Cobra, for those who know about Cobras. I like how it turns, but also has enough LSS to come out of most things (when fresh) I can do most anything with the disc, from hyzer flips that go to flat, without turning over at all, with a largeish fade, to nice long turnovers that don't come back. I can also put it out about as far as my drivers, on a big swoopy flippy max D line. I'm sure I described that wrong.

From what I've heard about the Ibex and Trak, they both sound like lasers, with good HSS, and not alot of LSS. But that's not my kind of disc. Then I thought about the Summit, but I'm not sure quite how flippy that is.

I was thinking heavy Summit + not heavy Obex. My power isn't so hot. I'd like to hear more about the Summit's stabilities.

The Summit probably doesn't have as much fade as you would like and you're probably right, the Ibex is a little more HSS and a little faster than Cobras. But between the 2 you could easily cover any Cobra lines. So maybe try Heavy Summit and Heavy Ibex?

The Sole is pretty stable. It flies pretty close to a fresh KC Aviar, maybe a hair less stable. I'm not quite sure, it's been awhile since I've thrown either. But it's definitely in that ballpark, so it would be a good stable driving putter.

Edit: Anyone please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. The Sole is definitely the Vibram mold I have the least experience with.

Ah, that's not what I want then.

So a fresh heavy Ibex is pretty HSS? Does it hold lines well? Like, if I put it on a hyzer, will it keep that, or try to flip up?

The Firm Ibex I have flies like a touchy Buzzz, like a seasoned ESP (or like a domey Opto Core I had). It will hold an anny but you have to put some oomph into it or it will fight out. Loves going flat and straight, will hold a smooth hyzer but easily OATed back to straight. It's a pretty good all-round mid if you like throwing mids hard and fast like a Buzzz. A lighter one might be more Cobra like.

The Summit flies kind of like a lid, it's pretty neutral. Really have to be smooth to keep them hyzer, very easy to throw turnovers and annys.

Hmmm.... Thanks for your help.

I think I'll go Ibex and Summit. The summit can handle US things, and the Ibex can probably handle everything else with my noodly arm.

For people asking about the birdie bash choices, remember that even a Vibram has a beat in period. Once they do beat in they stay that way forever, or at least they have so far for me. What you are getting at a Birdie Bash is going to be more overstable naturally. Just so you aren't expecting too much.

I knew I should have picked the Ascent at my first Birdie Bash last year!

Ibex and Summit would be good Birdie Bash choices. Tese are the two Vibram molds I've thrown the most. They are both very versatile discs, and they both can fly pretty far. You shouldn't have a problem lining up just about any shot with those two.

I went Ascent Summit, and the Ascent is very consistent - huge fade at the end of every shot, which made it hard for longer holes where you want a straight shot.

I was more about trying new rubber than scoring well though.

So I just acquired a VP and a summit.. I had a summit a while back but traded it off. I must say I love the VP! It feels really nice in hand.

Summit feels great for my short approaches as well

Had my birdie bash yesterday with mixed results of players using the lace. 55 of my 72 players chose that as their disc. The issue was the 30mph winds. Most said they were going to try the disc again on a not no windy day, others just said the disc was worthless. Some actually figured out how to use it in the wind. But even heard some of the people calling it worthless talking about how far it flew. But I stayed around our pond hole to dish disc out. And watching the air catch the disc about the 250ark was interesting. Some would just pop up and take off, while others would not the air wall and just fly far off to the left. It was an interesting day

Anyone else putt with softs? I'm really starting to like my soft summit, going to wait until it is hotter to see if I will prefer them all year. Even at 70 they don't get too floppy for me.

On a side note, NOTE TO MR. DODGE:

WE (or at least I) WANT MULTICOLORED SOFTS.

Kind of curious if the manufacturing process for soft makes it difficult or impossible to make them that way. I bought a real nice looking hard summit, but I just don't like putting with it. Mediums are just a touch harder than I like to putt with (at least in spring) as well. Guess I can still throw it on approaches.