• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

Anyone using the O-Lace for big FH drives? I'm looking for a nice stable driver that will handle some not so great form (destroyers always worked nice). Obviously any disc can be thrown FH, but is anyone finding the O-Lace finicky?

In unrelated news, I threw my first 400' drive with a lace yesterday!

The OLace can certainly be thrown forehand and be thrown well forehand. I prefer something a tad bit more stable for most of my forehand shots. The OLace has a bit of a flip when I throw it forehand which is what I would expect from your beloved Destroyer. My guess is that you will really like it.

The OLace can certainly be thrown forehand and be thrown well forehand. I prefer something a tad bit more stable for most of my forehand shots. The OLace has a bit of a flip when I throw it forehand which is what I would expect from your beloved Destroyer. My guess is that you will really like it.

Thanks, Talbot. I wouldn't call destroyers beloved haha. I've never even owned one, just threw a friend's because he throws a lot of FH's. Your input is helpful though! I'm probably going to pick up one or two when I can!

Also testing an ibex as my main mid. For whatever reason, my 170g M has a ton of fade and minimal glide. That's not the report I've heard, so I'm trying to stick with it

Thanks, Talbot. I wouldn't call destroyers beloved haha. I've never even owned one, just threw a friend's because he throws a lot of FH's. Your input is helpful though! I'm probably going to pick up one or two when I can!

Also testing an ibex as my main mid. For whatever reason, my 170g M has a ton of fade and minimal glide. That's not the report I've heard, so I'm trying to stick with it

As you beat in an Ibex it will gain ridiculous amounts of glide, especially when thrown with really good spin. They are one of the coolest discs to season because of this, in my opinion.

As you beat in an Ibex it will gain ridiculous amounts of glide, especially when thrown with really good spin. They are one of the coolest discs to season because of this, in my opinion.

Yea, I completely agree. I had one, but I didn't understand the "hyzer flip" at the time and I got rid of the disc because it became too flippy. If I put it on a hyzer, that disc went straight as an arrow. What I hated about it was that if I really cranked on it, it would still flip over too much. I still regret getting rid of it.

according to vibram the number 1 is just a mold number. I have an unlace with 1 tooled. the guy at vibram said that its just a difference in the grip and softness/firmness. that's just what he told me.

This sounded confused enough for me to chime in.

We have two molds for each of the discs. To distinguish the molds from each other, we put a marking (star, square, "1") on one of the molds. This way if something goes screwy with a disc, we know which mold it came from.

All of the discs are made on 16 station machine. The only duplicate mold which, imo, is not perfect, is the "1" Ascent mold. It feels a little sharper, but measures to be the same. To watch a good video about how we make the discs, check out The Disc Golf Guy's blog below:

^ Thanks for the info Steve, especially since I was looking at the Ascent when I asked. Got confused with the less stable ones from early runs I've heard about. All my recent ones (with and without the tooling) fly similar.

Anyone using the O-Lace for big FH drives? I'm looking for a nice stable driver that will handle some not so great form (destroyers always worked nice). Obviously any disc can be thrown FH, but is anyone finding the O-Lace finicky?

I don't have a big gun, but it's been great FH for me. Getting extra distance that I was lacking with the Ascent and no flipping when my form is off like I had with the Lace. Very straight for the first 3/4 of flight, then a nice predictable fade at the end.

O-Laces replaced Destroyers for me. Very similar to a flat Star Destroyer, but I found O-Laces a little less finicky (than flat ones, domey destroyers may be the move if your form is totally whacked), a hair longer, and it comes the best feeling material, xlink!

O-Laces replaced Destroyers for me. Very similar to a flat Star Destroyer, but I found O-Laces a little less finicky (than flat ones, domey destroyers may be the move if your form is totally whacked), a hair longer, and it comes the best feeling material, xlink!

I have a destroyer, but I haven't throw in much. Once I get some time behind my two lace's, then maybe I'll start looking into checking out the O-Lace. Thanks!

I agree with this sentiment as well. I only carry Mediums anymore and the reason that I like them is for the consistency with which they come out of my hand. I would venture to say that this will not be the same for everyone else in the world.

This. Vibram Mediums are the only thing in my bag, I no longer throw anything else.

Seeing all of these new disc releases from MVP makes me even more anticipatory for Vibram's next release and first release of 2014. I am hoping for an announcement from Steve in the next few weeks.

Seeing all of these new disc releases from MVP makes me even more anticipatory for Vibram's next release and first release of 2014. I am hoping for an announcement from Steve in the next few weeks.

I am still hoping for something speed wise between the trak/ascent and lace family. A speed 9 or 10 would be awesome.

Why do you prefer the Mediums over the Firm?

To repeat the post above, it is the feel. Especially if the conditions are damp, humid or hot. Basically, almost any time I play. I don't have to grip as hard to feel like I've got a good grip and get cleaner releases. Granted, I'm old ;) and have bad knee so don't generate much arm speed so YMMV