• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Vibram Discs (don't get caught without your rubber)

Since this seems to be the end-all-be-all knowledge fountain pertaining to VIbram, I figure I'll ask my question here.

I normally throw a Wizard/Magic combo for my short driving (anything out to around 275-300 if I have the height clearance) and putting duties. I love these discs, but am interested in picking up something more durable that will last quite a while before needing to be replaced. It appears that the only company to currently fit that requirement would be Vibram, so my question is what two discs would provide similar flight characteristics to my normal dynamic duo? This same question may have already been discussed previously, but I unfortunately don't have the time to sift through every page and post so I will apologize on the for-end .

Thanks in advance

volmed10 said:
dgdave said:
Wiz- Ridge
Magic- Summit (similar turn, but more lss)

The summit has more lss?
*removed comment on stability*

If you value grip over durability I would stick with Wiz/Magic assuming you are throwing S plastic. In perfect dry conditions, low humidity I think Vibram rubber might have the best grip, but add humidity/sweat/rain and regular ol' soft Wizards and Magics have far and away the best grip.

It just depends on your preferences and conditions.

I found the summits to have more lss. They were too touchy for my liking. If under powerded, they'd hyzer off hard. If over powered, they'd turn and burn. I just never dialed them in. I've also only thrown the firm protos

dgdave said:
I found the summits to have more lss. They were too touchy for my liking. If under powerded, they'd hyzer off hard. If over powered, they'd turn and burn. I just never dialed them in. I've also only thrown the firm protos

x2 for a production one.

Ridge for the Wizard, and the best understable (while remaining controllable) and durable putter in my mind is the first run soft ION, with the flash cut of naturally.

I removed my comment on stability. I have thrown a lot of Magics, but only one Summit and the Magics for sure had more LSS than my lone Summit but I probably shouldn't comment with only a single disc experience.

A couple moths ago I posted that I had dented my Ridge. Here's a pic of it, over 2 months later, its not going back to normal. Left it in the bag, on the table face down for a week, in the car, it wont go back. Hard to get a good photo of the dent though. However, seeing it from the top of the disc it is dented down towards the "Vibram" logo, and dented up towards the edge (taco-ed half of the disc upon impact apparently) . What do you think mister Dodge?

On a completely unrelated note, there is a street in Reno, NV named Summit Ridge.

imgp1823q.jpg

Doesn't look like much. It's impossible for them to guarantee this stuff forever after all.

agreed,its not meant or touted to be indestructible. It does however,exceed durability over most if not all putter plastics out there. I think that's good enough

cjskier said:
A couple moths ago I posted that I had dented my Ridge. Here's a pic of it, over 2 months later, its not going back to normal. Left it in the bag, on the table face down for a week, in the car, it wont go back. Hard to get a good photo of the dent though. However, seeing it from the top of the disc it is dented down towards the "Vibram" logo, and dented up towards the edge (taco-ed half of the disc upon impact apparently) . What do you think mister Dodge?

On a completely unrelated note, there is a street in Reno, NV named Summit Ridge.
Every putter I use off of the tee for any amount of time looks way worse than that. If you hit a tree with 300' of putter power they get bent all to crap. Doesn't look to bad to me.

Also, Steve - Respond to my e-mails dog!

cjskier said:

imgp1823q.jpg

I think you need to mail me this disc so I can have the lab guys enjoy messing with it. I'll send you another one as a replacement.

Steve Dodge
Quabaug Corp.
18 School St.
North Brookfield, MA 01535

jnecessary said:
cjskier said:

Every putter I use off of the tee for any amount of time looks way worse than that. If you hit a tree with 300' of putter power they get bent all to crap. Doesn't look to bad to me.

Also, Steve - Respond to my e-mails dog!

Not sure if I responded or not, but I'd recommend using one of these two email addys for me:

Vibram Disc Golf: [email protected]
Vibram Open and me outside of work: [email protected]

looks like all the online retailers have some softs in new colors. It's still difficult to tell what you get though, with descriptions like 'dark, bright, multi-color, light' etc.

Are there any websites that show the exact picture of every disc they sell? And why doesn't marshall street carry vibram?

My two ascents. 174s, not sure if they're xlink or firms. I like that they look like Mars

This is a side by side comparison of discs. The teebird is blurry but I'll be sure to be more thorough from now on. Hope you enjoy!

Latest posts