• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Ibex

GirdleRoc

Birdie Member
I played in a Vibram Birdie Bash this weekend and it was an absolute blast. I picked up a medium Ridge and Ibex.
I don't know how I feel about the Ibex.
To me it felt like a slightly worn Roc. I could throw it on a nice anhyzer line with a little fade on the end. I could also throw nice hyzer lines. However I couldn't hyzer flip it for longer shots. It was 175g. I could throw around 250 accurately.
Is this a lack of power/technique or is that just how the disc flies?
Also how do Vibram discs wear? I guy on my card said they wear really quick.

Slightly worn Roc is a decent analogy for an Ibex. I typically say an Ibex flies like a faster Shark. After a few rounds though, it should lose it's mold stiffness and gain some turn. After that though, Vibram medium Xlink is one of the most durable materials on the market and it will break in extremely slowly, think a little more longevity than champ. Firm Xlink beats in faster, close to the rate a Star will break in, maybe a little faster.

Sweet! Thanks.
I have 2 Dx Rocs and a fresh Champion Roc3 so I am not exactly sure where this will fit into my bag.
I had a good experience with it at the Birdie Bash so I kind of want to make it fit. I also really liked the feel of the medium X-Link...

I just needa bigger then right?:thmbup:

I've had limited success with hyzer-flipping. A new Ibex will hold your hyzer lines really well. For smaller arms, you're not going to be able to do much anhyzer with this disc. It takes a big arm to get it to anhyzer, but it'll hold big anhyzers with some practice.

What I like to do is: just throw it straight and hard right at the basket. Seems to fly straight and far with good form. Having said that, a lot of people don't practice good clean form. This disc will reward your good form.

I've got a couple extra ibexs and obexs if you'd like to try different weights/ firmnesses . I flip the ibexs and the obex is dead straight with nicely predictable fade

I've had limited success with hyzer-flipping. A new Ibex will hold your hyzer lines really well. For smaller arms, you're not going to be able to do much anhyzer with this disc. It takes a big arm to get it to anhyzer, but it'll hold big anhyzers with some practice.

What I like to do is: just throw it straight and hard right at the basket. Seems to fly straight and far with good form. Having said that, a lot of people don't practice good clean form. This disc will reward your good form.

Yeah it is a very straight disc. I can actually throw it on an anhyzer line that is what I liked about it. I just couldn't get it to hyzer flip which confused me.

I think I will have to field test it with my rocs to see where it fits in.

I love vibram five fingers so I want to give thier discs a shot.

Ibex is a crazy midrange. It was the first Vibram disc I threw and is still the most impressive to me. Although I do not own one till Saturdays BB (still baffles me why), every time I whip a friends Ibex its flat and straight with minimal fade. Just stable as can be and the distance it gathers puts it next to my fairway driver shots really consistently. Vibram crushed it with this disc for sure!

Sweet! Thanks.
I have 2 Dx Rocs and a fresh Champion Roc3 so I am not exactly sure where this will fit into my bag.
I had a good experience with it at the Birdie Bash so I kind of want to make it fit. I also really liked the feel of the medium X-Link...

I just needa bigger then right?:thmbup:

I would replace the more stable of the dx rocs with the ibex keeping the flippier roc for turn overs until the ibex loosens up. once broke in a roc3 ibex pairing could be very effective.

I have 2 Ibex. (Ibexes? Ibexxi?)

Both are mediums, 1 is 165, 1 is 171. The 165 reads Fade 7 Turn 5. The 171 reads Fade 5 Turn 7.

Anyone have any clue as to which it is, Fade 7 or 5; Turn 5 or 7?

I have 2 Ibex. (Ibexes? Ibexxi?)

Both are mediums, 1 is 165, 1 is 171. The 165 reads Fade 7 Turn 5. The 171 reads Fade 5 Turn 7.

Anyone have any clue as to which it is, Fade 7 or 5; Turn 5 or 7?

It was recently changed to reflect new information. The Turn 5 is the newer one. At slower speeds, expect it to fade more, turn less. Perhaps one draw-back of the Vibram numbering system is that it's data-driven, so results may vary.

Now I am curious....

Does vibram update their flight ratings on their discs if they change for a new run?

Innova's is arbitrary. Vibram's is scientific. The Daedalus has different flight ratings, depending on the plastic.

The Tern has different ratings by plastic. The Daedelus was retooled.

If you want to take that path, Discraft acknowledges that their discs fly different in different plastics too.

I have been tossing the Ibex and Lace the past few days and honestly they are so understable its tough to throw them- if I throw the Ibex more than about 250 it turns so hard right that it almost goes roller no matter how much hyzer I put on it- maybe if I super hyzer it out it will go 250 but its literally flipping super far right then barely coming back if I do that. I love the feel of these discs and I love Vibram as a company but I've honestly been disappointed in these discs- are these flukes? they are both 168 gm- the lace looks a little domey but the Ibex is flat- can they vary that much? I see people talking about how they can't anny these? I can't get it not to flip over.

I have been tossing the Ibex and Lace the past few days and honestly they are so understable its tough to throw them- if I throw the Ibex more than about 250 it turns so hard right that it almost goes roller no matter how much hyzer I put on it- maybe if I super hyzer it out it will go 250 but its literally flipping super far right then barely coming back if I do that. I love the feel of these discs and I love Vibram as a company but I've honestly been disappointed in these discs- are these flukes? they are both 168 gm- the lace looks a little domey but the Ibex is flat- can they vary that much? I see people talking about how they can't anny these? I can't get it not to flip over.
Are they F or M.
either way i would say flukes my ibexxi fly dead straight when thrown flat at 250 power mine have no turn at all i don't see much turn until the 300' mark. if you want to trade that flippy one hit me up i have been looking for a flippy ibex then the 3 I have.

The lace is firm the Ibex is medium- it could be a problem with my technique I just started throwing out to 400 or so I fixed a lot of things. I was throwing Katana's and a Mamba like 275- I swear the lace is more understable than even a beat in Mamba- is that possible? This has to be a fluke disc because no way people would like it if it were flippier than a beat up Mamba lol. Then again I'm throwing it 120 ft. farther and my Mamba went in a lake so I can't compare those anymore.

my laces are comparable to katanas. an unlace is very faster mamba like. the ibex should follow what ever line you put it on.

Latest posts