• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Vision Quest Cedar, MN

I will probably never play it, but the lack of elevation IMO doesn't exclude it from being a 5. I think you could have a 5 in all 3 elevation categories. As far as mostly flat, you need other aspects to make up for the lack of elevation. Creative ways such as the course being visually pleasing, like vision quest is an example. Great risk reward and multi landing zones which challenge a golfer always help boost most peoples rating. One rare hole type is heavily wooded water holes. Most water holes are open with the chance of wind. There are some wooded water holes, just not many. This seems to be an eye candy course that isn't super long nor is it super short. Time will tell if it gets enough play. It might get too much and might become like flyboy.

These aren't astroturf, it's some sort of interwoven stiff fibers. Think Scoth Brite scrubber, not fake grass.

Ohh I know what ur talking about and have played on it. I was just using the description given on the course

I played a practice round during the week leading up to the Majestic on a sunny day and in brand new Salomons. I honestly stuck a few times on the pads and wasn't pivoting well, FH or BH. They are seriously grippy tee pads.
In fact, I made sure I wore my worn down pair of Salomons for the tournament round because I didn't want to stick too bad and hurt anything.

I was really surprised at how grippy the pads were.

I wonder if the the owner Mike even wants his course on this site? There is a difference to me between being a pay to play course and a true private course on the land that your family lives on.

He definitely wants it on the site, I played a round with him there when I was in the area last month and just spoke to him on the phone yesterday. He wants to spread the word, encourage reviews, etc.

That said, for the people saying this isn't a sustainable business model. After chatting with Ray and Mike, it's not supposed to be. BRP and VQ seemed to be labors of love more than an attempt to create a business. The owners of each have other businesses to pay the bills and the disc golf is a fun side thing that they enjoy. I honestly doubt Mike will ever recoup what he's investing in VQ... at least not any time soon. And he isn't even done with it yet.

He definitely wants it on the site, I played a round with him there when I was in the area last month and just spoke to him on the phone yesterday. He wants to spread the word, encourage reviews, etc.

That said, for the people saying this isn't a sustainable business model. After chatting with Ray and Mike, it's not supposed to be. BRP and VQ seemed to be labors of love more than an attempt to create a business. The owners of each have other businesses to pay the bills and the disc golf is a fun side thing that they enjoy. I honestly doubt Mike will ever recoup what he's investing in VQ... at least not any time soon. And he isn't even done with it yet.

Thanks for clearing that up Tim!

Labors of love for sure. Course owners may never recoup the $$$ invested but we'll def. meet a lot of cool people and make a bunch of friends :)

Maybe even inspire a few others to build courses along the way.

Hey Steve, what are your thoughts on Hole #9?

As a player, my full-power Buzz can barely reach it, but will almost always be where I can toss a throw to the bottom of the pole for a dunk shot. So, I'm done with it.

If I could throw farther (or couldn't throw as far), or didn't hate 3+ putting so much, it would have some risk/reward.

Watching other players, running the basket does not always result in being OB in the water behind it, and they sometimes make the come-back putts.

It would be interesting to how well that hole separates players by skill. I felt like I had an increased chance of gaining a throw on better players, but I'd need scorecards to see if that were true.

Watching other players, running the basket does not always result in being OB in the water behind it, and they sometimes make the come-back putts.

It would be interesting to how well that hole separates players by skill. I felt like I had an increased chance of gaining a throw on better players, but I'd need scorecards to see if that were true.

Nice, I am one of the guys that didn't go OB after running it and made my 40' jumper for the 2 hahaha... I want to see some stats too.

Nice, I am one of the guys that didn't go OB after running it and made my 40' jumper for the 2 hahaha... I want to see some stats too.

Heh, I went long - landed right on the line, close enough that I had to take a provisional. Nailed my 40' jumper for a possible 2, followed that up by nailing the jumper for a possible circle 3, counted as a 2.

Personally I like the hole, it's a skill that isn't tested often - basically a layup shot that requires pinpoint accuracy, too short and you're staring the death putt in the face, too long and well we know that story.

I like holes that aren't quite the same as any other hole [in the country] which this course has quite a few of. I thought it was a great course, plenty of fun, will make the effort to return some day. If I'm in the area and have time to only play one course (assuming I had the option of playing either), I would choose BRP every time. VisionQuest will likely fall somewhere in my top 50 courses played, definitely not number one or top 10.

Hey guys, So what's the word? Is this really a members only situation or do you think he'd let me and a buddy come check it out some weekend? We're pretty low key. Not destructive or anything. I'd love to throw some money to the course and experience it but I just can't justify a membership fee like this. $30 a season for Kaposia 5 minutes from me is too much of a steal.

Look at all the drive by-reviews for this course. Of the 15 reviews posted for this course (as of August 7th), 11 of them are from people who have only reviewed VQ.

Elevation is one issues, but here's another reason...

I emailed two days in advance to ask for a free or discounted pass due to advanced age and mild disability. I received an email far too late from Mike Rivard and was seriously injured falling off one of the elevated tee pads. His comments came across to me as those of a right wing, Tea Party Republican type who says people shouldn't get any government entitlements, while he is in the construction business and his entire career is founded on taking handouts from the government.

Here are the offensive parts of his email:

"Although this doesn't help pay for the course it would certainly help alleviate the overwhelming guilt you must feel when asking for a "free ride" when everyone else is so happy to support the cause. Because we really want to see you have an opportunity to play BRP as well and hate to have you hurt yourself scraping for cash under your seat..."

This is really offensive, especially to someone who has a physical issue (even worse that I got injured and he didn't respond to that email telling him they need guard rails on hole #17--the other two don't necessarily).

He was also sarcastic in his conclusion, offering me free play for work, and saying he was glad they could help out, looked forward to seeing me, and that I should 'drive safe and seeya soon'.

He may have thought he was funny, but he was a total douchebag. :mad:

Well they already charge double the average cost of p2p for a lacklust course really. Single tees and basket placement with mulitple safety issues. Its a fine course but not worth $10 to play with BRP right down the road.

the point of VQ, from what I observe, is to be a private country club. the "no free passes" is not a surprise. I'm not sure how this became political, but that's america, where everything is tied to a political agenda, especially in an election year...

i think i'm following it right - you got the rude email response before playing, but did pay and play and got hurt at VQ? which tee pad was it? A few of them are not that safe, but i thought 17 wasn't too bad compared to others.

i don't know if there are signs or anything, but since it's not a public park - it seems to me to be more of a "Play at your own risk" type place.

it also seems to me that he's had it open to the public more than it seems was intended. when we first heard of it, it was going to be private only, with memberships and that's it. but, when you have something exclusive like that, and can charge admission, the quick money may have been too persuasive. I wouldn't be surprised if he follows through on the plan this year to restrict play to those members only, with privileges to bring a friend. especially because having to bring the place up to the standards of a public park would remove and change everything it was designed for

Random aside.... I feel like I saw deer baiting contraptions setup all along the right hand side of Hole 11's (I think) fairway.

Is this legal?