• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Westside Longbowman

From that pic it looks like their is a smooth transition from rim to the center of the disc. And it also appeared to have some dome. Didn't look like a felon for example. That is just what I saw.

Just ordered two tournament plastic 167-169 in smoke color from DD. Hope they have almost the same stability as the VIP.

From that pic it looks like their is a smooth transition from rim to the center of the disc. And it also appeared to have some dome. Didn't look like a felon for example. That is just what I saw.

I took a pic of my blue one flat on a table so maybe you can see it better this way

Attachments

• 20160325_113119.jpg
    20160325_113119.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 99
Last night i had one of the big arms throw my Longbowman and Saint Pro back to back so I could see how they acted with some power on them.
Saint Pro had a lot of turn before fighting back, and the Longbowman barley had any high speed wiggle at all.
it was just straight, long flight with some fade.

Now that I have some throws on it, heres what my noodle arm says about the 2 on a calm day.
Saint pro goes straight, with a big gliding fade.
Longbowman goes straight (not quite as far) with a hard, shorter dumping fade, with some skip.

I have spent some time playing in the wind (both heavy and super heavy winds) and the Longbowman didn't care, when the saint pro would move around a lot (but usually fight back)

I am really digging the Longbowman because it's fitting perfectly in between my saint pros and my xxx
I did this again last night at dubs.
Chandler Fry (sponsored lat64 pro, for those that don't know him)
Was walking with us for most of the round, and I had him smash both my Saint Pro and Longbowman flat and hard.

Saint Pro rolled over like a dog wanting it's belly rubbed, and didn't come back.
The Longbowman just had a tiny amount of slide to the right, but mostly went straight for days before finishing up with a nice little fade.
That was the first time he had thrown one, and he said he really liked it.

I did this again last night at dubs.
Chandler Fry (sponsored lat64 pro, for those that don't know him)
Was walking with us for most of the round, and I had him smash both my Saint Pro and Longbowman flat and hard.

Saint Pro rolled over like a dog wanting it's belly rubbed, and didn't come back.
The Longbowman just had a tiny amount of slide to the right, but mostly went straight for days before finishing up with a nice little fade.
That was the first time he had thrown one, and he said he really liked it.

VIP, I assume?

Need more accurate testing of VIP vs. Tourney. I ordered two in tourney cause the color, and weight options were perfect.

Hope the tourneys are still stable as this disc is described as.

Guess I'll find out next week when they come in from DD.

Well according to the shipping info on usps.com they arrived today at my doorstep. I'll get home a bit before dark and do some testing.. I'm so stoked....

Appearance: Looks just like a felon top, similar to spark just has a slightly sharper edge than the sparks, xxx and trident.

Feel: The slight bevel/bead thing on the rim as it transitions to the inside of the rim is what gives this disc such a consistent release.

Flight: Felt like a felon coming out of my hand. But it continued with some more turn sucking into a straight golf line than hooked back.

Comments: I would describe this as a Saint Pro X. Or maybe a Westside version of the spark. Feels really good in the hand. A very nice stable/overstable fairway driver that is neither short or very long.

My flight chart: 8.3.-1.3

Discs tested: Two 167 gram, Tourney Plastic smoke color. Nice looking plastic.

So much competition here in this category. I could see gold line sparks being very similiar. Even my tridents are similiar to this just not as fast.

I really want to try to work this into my bag. But said to myself that when the spark goes goldline it will the one that gets this spot.

Lastly, heard this being compared to a banshee. Maybe. It is slightly faster, definitely longer and not as os. It has more turn than a banshee. But comes back like one later in the flight.

Last edited:
Appearance: Looks just like a felon top, similar to spark just has a slightly sharper edge than the sparks, xxx and trident.

Feel: The slight bevel/bead thing on the rim as it transitions to the inside of the rim is what gives this disc such a consistent release.

Flight: Felt like a felon coming out of my hand. But it continued with some more turn sucking into a straight golf line than hooked back.

Comments: I would describe this as a Saint Pro X. Or maybe a Westside version of the spark. Feels really good in the hand. A very nice stable/overstable fairway driver that is neither short or very long.

My flight chart: 8.3.-1.3

Discs tested: Two 167 gram, Tourney Plastic smoke color. Nice looking plastic.

So much competition here in this category. I could see gold line sparks being very similiar. Even my tridents are similiar to this just not as fast.

I really want to try to work this into my bag. But said to myself that when the spark goes goldline it will the one that gets this spot.

Lastly, heard this being compared to a banshee. Maybe. It is slightly faster, definitely longer and not as os. It has more turn than a banshee. But comes back like one later in the flight.

Thank you for the review! Sounds like I need to try this disc in Tournament plastic.

So am I the only person who thinks these are kinda like a slower Giant...

The less stable ones seem to have workable HSS with a reliable finish. The OS varients don't think about flipping but have great carry with the same finish.

I for one can't wait to beat the crap out of my TP to see what happens.

Recycled or Orginio would be fantastic.

I've got two VIP white 167 coming from Marshall. DD only had orange in lightweight and I hate orange so I was able to find someone with a descent color option.

My tourney plastic longb's are 167 so I will be able to make a very accurate review comparing the two plastic types. See my review on the previous page if you are wondering about this disc in that plastic type.

I'm hoping their about one unit up on overstability. If so, this disc very well may be kicking the spark out of that slot.

The way westside did the rim (please see my review) on this disc is a sublte difference between this disc and the spark. They look identical other than that.

Westside found a way to give a driver a beaded shoulder but without out a bead if that makes any sense. I think most folks are not able to exactly determine why a disc with such boring flight numbers is such a joy to throw.

And if I remember correctly from about a million years ago the cyclone had a very similar characteristic as well.

Last edited:
Where can I find some light weight Longbowmen in TP??!?!:confused:

I usually just buy from DTW but they only have 169g and up?

Would love something a little lighter, and the stack of VIPs I got was in 166-167g.

I have decided for the sake of science and potential lower scores to artificially beat the crap out of my 169g white TP

I have a slightly textured floor in my garage and will be throwing the heck of this thing into it. Probably going with 20-25 throws to start and see how it flies.

I think a beat in TP could be magic.

I have decided for the sake of science and potential lower scores to artificially beat the crap out of my 169g white TP

I have a slightly textured floor in my garage and will be throwing the heck of this thing into it. Probably going with 20-25 throws to start and see how it flies.

I think a beat in TP could be magic.

That is insane, in a good way :clap:

Has anyone thrown this against a Culverin for comparison?
Sure have. :)

I have few of both, but to compare apples with apples I describe the 169g VIP/Opto ones here.

To me the Culverin is a touch faster and it will go maybe 20ft further. This is partly due to wider rim / faster mold and partly due to mellower fade that starts a bit later. Neither disc really turns on calm days when new, but you can feel that the Longbowman has a bit more HSS as it starts its fade earlier and stronger.

The feel is quite different too. Culverin feels like a control driver a la PD/Thunderbird while the Longbowman feels much more like a traditional fairway driver with the 1.8mm rim.

I quite like them both. To me the Culverin has the nicer flight when new and bowman the better control. My plan is to see how the bowman beats in and possibly have it replace the Culverin once it's straight enough.

PS. Neither one is a Felon nor should they be.

Has anyone thrown this against a Culverin for comparison?

I don't like quoting myself - but here you go:
I have 175g TP Longbowman and a 175g Opto Culverin. Flight-wise I really can't tell a difference. They landed within a 3m circle. They feel different though. The Longbowman has a very flat top, the rim isn't the most common - see the pictures above. I actually do prefer the Longbowman over the Culverin (but I also have no issue with the Blitz or Riot).
Compared to SaintPro, Stag, Northman, Striker both of them are more overstable without an uncomfortable fade at the end. You can turn them over in a headwind, but they never get lost all the way, or at least they put up a fight. You can produce nice flex shots - but you have to give them quite a bit of anhyzer on the release. Released flat you either need headwind or more power than me to make them turn.
Compared to the xXx (I don't have a Felon) they feel a lot less utility disc. Longer, more glide. They should fill the Spot between the SaintPro, Striker... perfectly.
I can''t compare to PD, Thunderbird, FD, I never had one of those.
For reference - they went between 80-100m for me.

A quote from a recent post on this thread-

"I have decided for the sake of science and potential lower scores to artificially beat the crap out of my 169g white TP

I think a beat in TP could be magic"

Is your head so far up your "" that you take a expensive disc and foolishy bang it in to the ground. It is no wonder your scores are dismal.

If a disc is not turning not working for you etc.. drop down in stabllity. I don't think you really have a clue.

Here is what your doing-your causing the disc to have more wobble because of the dented out of linear rim. It is not only slower but less stable. Of course it makes the disc more flippy is their any way to make a disc more os. No!

A quote from a recent post on this thread-

"I have decided for the sake of science and potential lower scores to artificially beat the crap out of my 169g white TP

I think a beat in TP could be magic"

Is your head so far up your "" that you take a expensive disc and foolishy bang it in to the ground. It is no wonder your scores are dismal.

If a disc is not turning not working for you etc.. drop down in stabllity. I don't think you really have a clue.

Here is what your doing-your causing the disc to have more wobble because of the dented out of linear rim. It is not only slower but less stable. Of course it makes the disc more flippy is their any way to make a disc more os. No!

Don't think I've seen such an aggressive reaction to someone's urge to beat a disc in to see how it flies.

Latest posts