• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

WHAT ARE SOME GOOD LIGHT DRIVERS?

Hangwind, what's your max d no wind driver? I throw right around 300', is a 150 champ valk thrown on a massive hyzer a good max d driver for me or should I go heavier?

???

Light discs are for downwind

People who have difficulty max distance throwing 165g or heavier discs may want to consider using 150 class discs.

This is free advice, take it for what it is worth.

Some of my 150g drivers I have used

150g Champ Teebird (good for standstill distance off teepad, Hyzer Flip disc with runup)

150g DX Teebird (Same as Champ but cheaper and a little easier to flip)

150g Sirius Orion LF (Good for any teepad drives and awesome with a tailwind)

150g DX Starfire (Same as Orion LF but cheaper. I bought for winter use.)

150g Champ 11x Eagle (One sweet disc! Really stable and easy to throw)

I normally keep a couple 150g drivers in my bag but am looking at adding something a little heavier for fall and the increased wind that comes with it. This is my first year really playing and figuring the game out and the lightweight stuff has been good for that. I found that when I had a hard time getting distance drivers up to speed I could throw a lighter weight one and make it work (orion lf and starfire).

I dont throw many light drivers anymore with the exception of my 150g Teebird, but here is what I would suggest and why

Elite X Surge in 160 or less - this is a pretty neutral disc at that weight and once you learn it, it will become a very solid straight flyer.

Star Teebird or Eagle-X in the 150 range - These are still pretty overstable in that range and will probably work well as your wind discs and hyzer discs.

Champ Leopard in 160 or less - This disc will do wonders for understable and tailwinds. it is a great disc to throw on anhyzer routes and in hard tailwinds.

Innova and Discraft can be interchanged as each has something close enough to the other but these are the ones I have had experience with

I love me some 150 class stuff!! :thmbup:
i just purchased a 150 class Avenger and LOVE it
Just got one in ESP - too understable for me. When I throw it hard, it essentially meathooks to the right - did that right out of the box. no 'D' whatsoever.

150 R-Pro Boss really works well for me. Was great right out of the box, but don't hit many trees - R-Pro beats in a little too well. As it's gotten more understable, I need to allow more room to the right to allow it to work for the extra distance.

150 DX Wraith works for me too. Was actuually overstable when I got it, but has broken in nicely.
Just got a 150g Tee Rex in DX - haven't thrown it yet, but will find out soon.

Just to provide a reference in terms of how hard I throw:
when I throw flat and hard, my 168g Star Beast turns over just a bit, and fades back going out about 260-275. The fade typically takes it just a bit left of "directly" in front of me, so the way I throw it, there's a bit more fade than there is turn.

The R-Pro Boss has me flirting with 300.' Gives me reasonable birdie chances that I simply hard no shot at before.

All the above based on RHBH.

Last edited:
^^ FYI - Surge & Wraith are essentially the same disc from different manufacturers. (5 min edit monster got me).

Ultralight discs that I really enjoy:

Starfire, archangel, dragon, avenger, wraith, destroyer, valkyrie(champ), beast, orc(champ), viking(champ), Flick, XL, Firebird(champ)

there are more but those will hold you over forever :)

\/\/

Gazelle, Sirius Orion LS are my 2 150s but I throw a lot of low 160 discs.

Want to try a teebird and a wraith in low weights.

150 DX Destroyer has been one of my favorites since I got one.

Same here!

I originally picked it up to purposefully beat the crap out of it as fast as possible to use it for long rollers and right turns...but plans have changed as it's my longest driver currently.

Anyone ever threw a 160ish gram sidewinder? I'm kinda tempted to try one after having thrown a 150 champion valkyrie pretty much further than all my other discs...

I know a few guys that throw 150g star sidewinders and they do pretty well with them. they have some decent stability at the end of their flight when they are new

I had just recently purchased an innova dragon and as a sidearm player this disc works wonders for the lack of backhand strength. I use it mainly on non windy days and as a lefty it had a very predictable right fade at 250'. Just the problem is I am looking for a lightweight disc with a little more speed for extra distance

Any recommendations?

I have been told by many people the best side arm disc is a 150 Flick.
I have only recently began throwing a side arm. I will have to hunt down my 150 Flick, I know I have one somewhere.

ae7o.jpg

Well I found a 150 leopard at Dicks lol other than that a 165 g cheetah but I cant find any lightweight discs in my area, I guess il be trying the leopard!

Ps. That 150g flick doesnt sound like a bad I dea at all...

I havent tried a Flick in 150 but I would think it would defeat what the Flick does best a little bit, and that is that reliable meathook