• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What draws you to a tournament?

Fun Factor

It's mostly about atmosphere for me. The extras like players packs, CTPs, and side games are fun and all, but that's not what I go to tournaments for. I go to have fun playing and spending time with good people.

The course itself is probably the second biggest factor.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

1) Cost - (total cost including entry fee, food, transportation and lodging)
2) Tournament (Tier, State, pdga/local)
3) The Course
4) The players (out of town pros? state pros?)

If i can't afford to go, i won't go no matter the tourney.

If its a really cool tourney, i will push a little harder to go.

if its at a sweet course, i'll try harder to get there

if awesome players will be there, i'll try harder to go (When Barry came to an Indiana tourney last year, it motivated me to go)

The experience. I don't have a shot at winning anything other than the occasional CTP (depending on the course), so I play for the experience and the opportunity to learn from better players that I don't normally play with.

If I don't like the course, I won't show up. Great Lakes Open last year, I hated the temp course they used. Rumor is they're trying to use Kensington Toboggan (the Am Nats course) this year, which would be AWESOME.

Player's pack I suppose would be second. I'm not likely cashing, so I like to walk away with something nice.

Location isn't that big of a deal for me, nor is cost. I'd say sancationing is probably the biggest determine factor in my decision. I mainly, as a new tourney player, am interested in improving my rating more than anything else. For big events (A Tier, NT) I want the big names to be there. Partly so I can watch them throw, but mainly because they usually do a clinic that can give me tips on making my game better. I like to get a player pack with some cool swag, but if there isn't one its not a deal breaker.

What draws me to participate? Or just to watch/spectator?

If there are a lot of Pro's playing (like a USDGC or ?) If it's in my general area I will def go & watch!

I like to get tourney stamped discs weather I participate myself or I'm just spectating.

What would draw me to play in a tourney? I play a lot of casual golf & after a while I always get the itch to enter a tourney just to see how I stack up against others in my division.

Participation is what I was after.

You guys are fast. Here is what I have so far:

Competition
Tourney disc
Value (Big players pack reasonable entry fee)
Food Available
Trophies
Side Games (ace pool CTP's etc.)
Atmosphere
Quality of Course
TD/Host
Selection of discs/merch for payout funny money not stack
Size of field/ Chance to Win
Fun/ Comraderie/ Meeting friends
Location/Travel Distance
Sanctioning / Tier
New course/new Layout
What Pros will be there

Let me know if I've missed anything.

One more thing to add that applies mostly to the pro divisions is added cash and depth of payout.

Tournament stamped discs are a big plus if they come in players pack.

Though, just gotta fit into my schedule and a course I want to play.

Different people have different motivations, imagine that!

... but a lot of folks seem to like tourney stamps.

I really like tournament stamped discs/shirts as a souvenir. Oh, and most importantly: the competition.

I only play tournaments if I like the course and am able to get the day off from work.
Player's pack, payouts, atmosphere, etc. are all secondary.

For me the Course and the Club/People running it are the main draw.
Large Feild sizes and good added cash are always a bonus as well
Sanctioned events will get me to drive 2 to 3 hours way before unsanctioned events will
the fun factor for me comes from playing golf all weekend so if i am playing i am having fun
a players pack for me is always an awesome extra as long as it didn't come out of my entry

The draw is playing disc golf that means something.

I couldn't care less about the pack, or winning (cause I suck), and especially don't care about lunch, or tourney stamps.

I like playing with a group of guys that are there to play, instead of goof around.

Would this be separate from Value?

Value (Big Players Pack Added Cash)
Thats a good point. I guess when i hear the word value i think Am automatically. Not sure why and i am not saying that my logic isn't flawed just stating my opinion. When you play Pro you realy only have 2 options making money or spending money so the word Value only applies to the top 40 to 45% of the field.

The people and the competition are what draws me to tournaments. I started playing about 7 months ago - casual rounds with friends, and entered my first club sponsored event within the first month and did well. First PDGA B tier was in October and I was hooked!! I have played in 4 PDGA sanctioned events and 5 local tourneys so far. My son and I both have seen crazy improvement in our scores and skill level.
We plan to play in our first A tier in March and are going to Kansas for our summer vacation ~AM Worlds !!

I probably won't get to play but I'll caddy for my son and soak up the event - maybe even volunteer to help.

The people we have met at tournaments have been for the most part amazing, friendly, and helpful.

If you want to get better, play with people that are better than you ~ you will elevate your game.