• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What draws you to a tournament?

As a longtime TD, I've tried several things over the years...from over the top players packs, really big CTPs, lunch on site provided, multiple choices for pre registered player packs (this is the best way to encourage early registration), cool trophies and atmosphere.

It seems to me the biggest factor is timing of your event followed by cost and the course.

A really cool tourney logo goes a long way to selling extra things with logo day of but i havent noticed anything along the lines to bring people in.

To the OP:

-)Offering my division (Novice).
-)Not making me play on a Sunday - bonus points, I suppose, for those who stagger the divisions across Saturday-Sunday (so I can play Saturday, even if it makes me play up a division).
-)Location (basically, distance from home).

For me the second's basically a deal breaker, and the third determines how likely I am to go.

The first sweetens the pot, and might get me to choose your tournament over the competition.

I've only played in 2 tournaments, 1 was a fundraiser to help build a new DG course and another a fundraiser for the local food bank. I played these because they were set up to be fun since at the time i had only been playing a few months.

I will play more tournaments this year based on location (course and distance from home), cost, fundraisers get bonus points, player pack or disc will be a minimal factor and if its a local event will bag tags be included.

My reason use to solely be to collect more players pack and hence more stuff but now my philosophy has changed. If the tourney is run by someone I don't like or who doesn't have the best interests of the sport in mind, I won't go. If I know the event has not been well run in the past, I won't go either.

What I will come out for is to attend well run events that make everyone happy, to support clubs that have a clear goal (ex. bring newer players to the competitive side of the game, top notch atmosphere, provide a solid championship to contend for), and probably my main one know for new events I go to is to see a new course if possible and play it with other players who have different ideas on how to attack it and take different routes than me.

1) Competition. Although lately I have been on that Advanced-Open borderline, so if I *really* wanted to try to be competitive, I should be playing up, and have occasionally. But it's also a cost issue. Since I am still an amateur, "$500 added cash" means jack to me, because I'm not taking cash.
2) Location, location, location. I generally won't travel more than 2 hours or so to a tourney, unless it's a course I really want to play or a tournament with a specific benefit (like qualifying for something bigger or better).
3) Cost. I don't make a lot of money, and I have to be available many weekends because of my job, so I want to make playing a tourney worth my while. I like the idea of a reasonably priced and fun tourney.
4) People. I'm more inclined to go to a tourney if someone I know is the TD or if there are a bunch of people registered with whom I have played before. Just makes for a nicer experience, seeing some of those players again.

Often when I'm free for a tournament, Ashleigh is too so I'll look at availability and size of women's fields.

1. Quality Course
2. Strength of field
3. Food

Those are the big three. Prize pack with custom stamped discs are nice. Good payout for pro's, meaning none for Amateurs, so good prizes for Am divisions.

Great thread! Interesting that many people are motivated to play a tournament due to players pack or tourney stamped discs. I play sanctioned and charity tournaments mostly for competition, the course(s), camaraderie and fellowship, lunches available between rounds at the course (Blowin' Smoke BBQ in Savannah!) and the TD running the event. I also do not play some tournaments because I do not like a course or TD's I feel have a genuine dislike for the club I am a member of or come across as disliking me. I also miss tournaments due to wanting to spend time with family and friends , interests I enjoy outside of disc golf which occur on the same weekends as some of my favorite tournaments occasionally and work obligations.

I like going to tourneys that benefit something good. Examples would be local food banks or fund raisers for course improvements or new courses. Also like tournament points series where there is a bonus payout at the end of the series for the point leaders from each division. Cool players packs are nice too.

The main reason I play is exercise, but I can get that from a casual round or a local mini. Another reason to play, and especially to play tournaments, is competition. The final reason is for friendship, and to promote women's participation.

The biggest tournament draw for me is a chance at a title in my division, women's advanced masters (FAM). Hence why I will fly to US Masters, but I won't drive a couple of hours down the road to play Texas States (because it doesn't offer FAM).

The other draw to me is any local tournament where I can help promote the women's field by participating, whether it is in FPO or FA1. But I usually won't travel for that. These days, even if I win in those divisions, I decline payout. I don't need any more plastic, and I don't want to give up my Am status.

This thread certainly demonstrates the wide range of motivations for attending tournaments---the kind of thing that keeps TDs wondering.

I will say that I find a distinction between what I like in a tournament, and what motivates me to attend. There are lots of things than enhance a tournament, but aren't actually factors in whether I'll enter it. I can't imagine, for myself, deciding whether to attend a tournament based on whether food was served. Or changing my mind about whether to go based on a tournament stamped disc. But I do appreciate both being made available.

I'm currently on the other side, trying to finish a tournament flyer and figure out which format, and what entry fees, will entice the most players.

In tracking local events in recent years, it seems there are a few things that make people lose interest fast - making the tournament 3 days, and making it an A tier.

Making it an A tier means everybody has to be PDGA current, so $50-75 just for that, then add fees for the tournament and it becomes a really expensive weekend.

If it is a 3 day event, everybody has to take Friday off from work, and if coming from out of town, you have to find housing for another night, and the costs just keep climbing.

The Otter Open Pro was just cancelled due to lack of interest, and the problem being they made it a 3 day, A tier, and it killed it.

Also, there should be a goal to get everybody on the road home at a reasonable time on Sunday, I have played in events where the awards ceremony did not end until 6PM on Sunday, and some people had 8 hour drives home and had to go to work on Monday.

And a hearty lunch should be served if there are no nearby places to grab a quick lunch and get re-charged between rounds.

For me it's a few things. I couldn't care less about price, or the field. I mainly have two things I look for.

1. What course(s)
2. Player experiences.

Bonuses: (not even remotely required)
Lunch on sight/near by.
Side games and CTPs
If I can get a ride there with someone. Haha.
Players pack

I don't have time to play many (hauling daughter to soccer EVERY weekend :() But of the ones I've done :
- Distance (I'm not good enough to bother traveling 2+ hours)
- Course (Some courses I just don't bother with)
- Price to value (if it's low cost I don't care about player packs)
- Other fun (camping at Hawk Hallow)

Honestly I'd like to do more but most of the time I'm just as happy going to a course for a casual round.

I think it's interesting how most of you like tourney stamped discs since I dread on getting those haha. I like regular stamped discs whereas the company name and the type of disc is on it. Makes life easier than being a pervert flipping in the back and looking at the nipple for the code :-D

For me what catches my eye.
1-numbers of players attending (competition)
2- ratings (competition again)
3- exercise (I'm getting older as we speak)
4- environment (Im a tree hugger)
5- price (feastible ones will get me there ill drive 5 hrs range) hopefully farther this summer if my foot heals otherwise next year.
6- player package (doesn't really bother me but it's nice beside these tourney stamped one. Depends traveling to size of package)

To sum it up all. Ill play locally anytime. Player package with a disc (not these tourney stamps blah haha) the farther I'd go would probably be these with more player package and more players hence nationals or big events because of time/travel to get there.

It all (6 lists) depends on each other in factor of my decision making.