• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is your throwing style poll...new members mostly old timers welcome to answer.

What is your throwing style

• Total voters

Noill

* Ace Member *
Premium Member
Lot of new players on the forum lately.

How do you throw, what distances are you getting on max?
What do you usually go for in terms of distance?

Have you been switching it up lately?

IMO most players are backhand primarily but I'm thinking that I may be wrong.

I'm looking for the newer members mostly but old timers are welcome as well.

I'm assuming this is just for drives, but I always putt BH.

for a little less than 2 years I was 90% FH, 10% OH. The last month or so I've worked on my BH and now probably use 40% BH, 50% FH, 10% OH.

max distances:

FH: 350', elite Z crush
BH: 275', champ beast
OH: 300', Epic

^fo sho need to work the BH some more :wall:

Yeah mostly asking about drives and longer approaches...

BH southpaw for 70% of my shots and all approach shots + putts, but for some reason i throw the overhand with the right hand

Mostly Backhand, a little FH approach and some OH approach, drives and get out of trouble shots. I'd say 95% BH, 4% OH 1% FH :D

Distances:

FH: 280' (Haven't really worked on it for distance shots, prefer a BH Anhyzer for right turns)
OH: 250' Tomahawk 300' Thumber (Love thumbers, just recently learned them so still figuring out when to use them)
BH: 420' Air 400' Roller

Last edited:
Mostly FH and some BH when I think I should practice or it's a BH favored hole.

FH: Katana 400'
BH:Katana 325'

It really depends on the hole for me, but I can usually find a BH line to use so I almost always throw BH.

I find anhyzer approaches more accurate and also have less of a chance of going very wrong, so I will throw an approach FH anhyzer occasionally if I need the disc to go left.

Its got to be some really bad spot for me to throw OH, but sometimes, there is just no other option.

In the last few weeks, I have been realizing just how useful a roller is, so now I will try a roller every once in a while.

Overall:
BH-85%
FH-10%
Roller-5% for now
OH-<1%

I throw mostly BH, and my horrible overhand throws (I just think they're fun to throw).

I've had one great FH drive with my Valk though, but it flew waaaaaaay over the basket.

My backhanded driving is better, but inside 200' I'm comfortable throwing forehanded and overhanded. And I'm working on developing my forehanded driving range. I also put a lot of OAT on my forehanded drives, whereas my backhand is fairly clean of OAT. Until I go out to the field and really focus on cleaning up my forehand, I'll be a backhander with some forehand and overhand sprinkled into my game.

1st year i was 90% FH trying to figure out the BH,and as i worked on my BH i made sure to keep up with the FH.
now im probably 70-80% BH,20-30% FH and rollers.

98% RHBH
Working on RHFH. However it'll likely never be more than a "get out of trouble" shot.

I just started almost 3 weeks ago, and I throw them back equally. They both drive around 200-250 feet (still learning form). But I come from an ultimate background, and it is much easier for me to throw flicks with the amount of spin needed to make these discs fly. That and I can't throw an anhyser, so if I need it to turn right I need to change the spin on the disc.

That and I throw flicks more flat that backhands. Stupid air bounce.

I was practicing something the backhand throwing motion that I found on youtube. I had to do it inside, and just going through the motions. Just so I can put that in my muscle memory. Can't wait to see if it helps. I just want to drive 300+ feet all the time.

Last edited:
I throw a mix of backhands (RHBH) and thumbers, depending on the length of the hole and what i am trying to do. Sometimes it is just easier to go over all those trees and crash the basket than it is to thread the needle. For anything over 300 I will likely go backhand as it is by far my longest throwing style.

Forehands for short right hand shots are very effective as well and something I am working on

I didn't vote, but I thought it interesting that newer players throw BH as much as they voted for. I have seen tons of new players throw FH only and thought that this poll would reflect that.

My game all depends on the situation. I prefer to throw backand (haven't prefected the anny yet) but if i need the throw a forehand or thumb it i don't have a problem going for it