• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is your throwing style poll...new members mostly old timers welcome to answer.

What is your throwing style

• Total voters
I didn't vote, but I thought it interesting that newer players throw BH as much as they voted for. I have seen tons of new players throw FH only and thought that this poll would reflect that.

Totally agree with your observation:hfive:. Out of all the noobs I see playing our local courses I would venture to guess that over 50% of them throw FH. And I'm trying to be conservative with my estimate.

As for me:
90% BH - 380' max consistent drive (a little more if it's a wide open hole:thmbup:).
10% combo of FH, Thumbers, Scoobs, Tomahawks. These are all for specialty shots only, never for distance.

Out of all the noobs I see playing our local courses I would venture to guess that over 50% of them throw FH. And I'm trying to be conservative with my estimate.

is this simply a reflection of them coming from an Ultimate background? Most of the new players I meet have a history of Ultimate, and a history of injury / age which makes them hang up the ulti cleats

90 % forehand and 10 % backhand... just started learning how to throw backhand this past year lets just say its a work in progress but has improved greatly :)

Most bh but started playing some courses here you need fh so have been working in it a little over a year. I would like to think what shot is called for but bh is mote accurate.

Always approach and putt bh cept maybe 10 percent of troubles shot.

When Freestyling I use either hand to throw, and use different techniques depending on which spin my playing partner likes.

When it comes to golf though, I pretty much just use the RHBH for every tee shot. Knowing the other techniques does help in those tricky situations when I'm not in a good lie. It always funny to see someone's face when they realize I've been putting out left-handed. :)

98% backhand. About 325' max distance. I wish could throw forehand but it bothers my shoulder.

is it weird that i cant seem to throw unless the disc is leaving the right side of my body? i mean, i throw backhand with the left, forehand with the right, and thumbers with the right (all making them leave the right side of my body)

i've tried changing hands for everything, but just completely fail if the disc isnt leaving me from the right side. anyone else experience something similar?

Started playing just short of 2 yrs. ago. With a bad right knee and a background in raquetball, forehand came very natural to me. Played 95% RHFH on my drives for the first year and a half, but kept getting irritated because I couldn't make some shots only forehand.

So, when I went out to field practice, I would throw BH's until my knee would get very sore and swell up. I would hobble around for a couple of days and then straight back to the forehand and a bad attitude about being so limited.

Finally, I went to an orthopedic supply and paid a $120 for a good knee brace. It's made all the difference in the world. Now, I can practice BH's with very little pain. My backhand still sucks compared to my forehand, but now, I'm able to work on it and have seen a great improvement.

I'm no longer a one armed bandit. When I see the best line to throw on a hole is a backhand, now I have a lot more confidence to take it.

My game went from:
90-95% RHFH 300+
5-10% RHBH 230-260' with no accuracy

to

60% RHFH 300-380'
35-40% RHBH 300' max
Also an assortment of thumbers, tomahawks, and scoobies

I feel much better about my game, but then again, the quest for the perfect throw is never ending.

Woodpecker

I knew backhand would be on top..

Forehand is def a close 2nd.

Overhand throwers are a distant third and then the rollers are a very slim 4th.

Seems like for the beginners I've played with it is easier to get snap at first with the FH. I have played with more than one beginner who only threw FH and he had an awesome drive, but on holes that favored a BH he was dead!!!

I'm an old timer, and you dont care about us, like we're second class citizens or something, so I aint tellin' you nuthin'.

Now get outta my yard. :mad:

I didn't vote, but I thought it interesting that newer players throw BH as much as they voted for. I have seen tons of new players throw FH only and thought that this poll would reflect that.

Totally agree with your observation:hfive:. Out of all the noobs I see playing our local courses I would venture to guess that over 50% of them throw FH. And I'm trying to be conservative with my estimate.

I think you should think about the type of person that would be on a forum on the internet. The players you are talking about most likely wouldn't start posting and answering a poll question. Although we are seeing more and more of this lately, I don't think it is much of the percentage of them on the course.

I'm an old timer, and you dont care about us, like we're second class citizens or something, so I aint tellin' you nuthin'.

Now get outta my yard. :mad:

Mr Old Timer sir may I please have your vote 'cause you're important too...

:p

Latest posts