• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What was the first disc you ever threw?

Threw? Not sure, probably borrowed a buddy's shark or something.

Bought? DX 175 Valk. Is now beat to hell and my roller disc.

It was a 160 something light pink dx cheetah beat to death by each of my friends as they were new to disc golf.. I think it's still passed around amongst newbies

I always hate these threads because I dont remember exactly what I threw, but I am sure a Stingray and Aviar were involved early on, so I gotta imagine a Leopard was as well. I probably just didnt appreciate the Leopard like I should have.

Know that I was loaned a Banshee my first time out but I think there was another disc then as well. I do know for a fact that my 2nd time out, I had figured out I could tommy the Banshee very well and tried to do that the entire course. The next day I figured out that doing that was a bad idea. My shoulder hurt like hell!

The Stingray and Aviar were my first couple of discs also...still loving the aviar :)

Avenger SS-which I then bought from my buddy and recently lost. You can take the disc, but you can't take the memories.

First NEW disc ever: Star Coyote :thmbup:

mine was an xl. found it in a pond on the course i play on now. it's funny that i used to be able to go swimming and find about twenty discs. didn't know what they were or what disc golf was. the course was empty then, you'd only see three other people in a whole round. it's crazy to see how the sport has grown, the course is packed all day now.

A 180g Scorpion and a 175g DX Aviar P&A. I still have the Aviar and use it to this day for practice putting (bought new in 93').

An Innova shark from the starter set. gave away and lost all those discs by now but it went like 15 feet.

I THINK a roommate's shark, we actually played catch with it.....not fun. Years later I bought and learned with a dx cheetah.

First disc purchased was a DX Cheetah. My wife still has it, and while its ugly as sin and has a penchant for flipping over, it is still a wicked "carve-lines" disc. I chuckle when my plastic-snob friends poo-poo DX, I love it, and in all honesty most people lose their discs before they get too broken in.

I purchased a DX Beast and a DX Aviar the next day, of which I still own the putter.

On a related note, we should do a "Old Disc Patina" thread because I love the way old discs look.

A friend loaned me two discs the first time he convinced me to go play (5 years ago). One was an Innova DX Wolfe and the other a Discraft Pro D Hawk. Things didn't go well with me and that pair. I stopped at the local Meijer as I was leaving the park and purchased two discs (11x KC Pro Teebird & 11x KC Pro Banshee). I still have the Teebird and lost the Banshee on May 29th at Holler in the Hills (thumber gone bad) - still hope it returns from the pond.

Back in the late 60's/early 70's, we used to play catch with a disc my Dad had in his car trunk. I don't remember what brand it was but I remember it was yellow and had a re-useable box to keep it in.

All through High School, we were addicted to long distance throw and catch using WHAM-O 150g. Masters and the old World Class series 165g.

The first time I actually played disc golf (1984), I used a 133g WHAM-O World Class Nightlighter and a 110g. WHAM-O Moonlighter.

My first real disc golf disc was an XD with a La Mirada stamp.

DX Tee Rex. I then bought a Star TeeRex. I lost the dx last year in the water at riverside park in MI which i spent a good 30 minutes looking for. I still have the Star TeeRex and it's still my go to all around driver.

DX cheetah . . . it went about 75 ft and hyzered right into the lake . . .

The first PDGA approved disc I ever threw was a Shark. The Viper was the disc if you had a big arm. They only had DX plastic back then. We used to play target golf with Wham-O Frisbees (175gm Freestyle) when I was a kid / teenager. It was fun to make up new courses wherever we happened to be. Everyone had a Frisbee.