• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What were your big lightbulb moments?

When i actually got involved with the club and saw how running events actually works. I suck at disc golf but i love puting on a fun event or is this just he lightbulb form moment, i don't have any of those, if i wasn't a good putter i would probably just quit.

This is more of a lightbulb about goal setting with form work that I had recently...if you are trying to improve your distance , going to the field trying to hit a specific distance goal is really not beneficial. You often end up frustrated and just reinforcing whatever bad habits are holding you back. Instead, try going to the field with a goal of hitting the same distance you have been throwing, but with 20% less effort. Focusing on less effort will keep you loose and get you to slow down and you'll probably end up smoothing one out there 40 feet further than you've ever thrown.
This is great advice. I've coached for many years (volleyball), and always advocated "process over outcome". I still do. It's just hard to be patient with yourself! :)

As far as personal lightbulbs, mine is probably "the Elephant Walk reset button". I'm still pretty new at this (8 months in), and I don't have form/muscle memory locked in. But nearly every time I'm struggling with X (rounding, slips, griplock/bad line, etc.), it's been very useful to slow down, take those heavy steps, and find that legato rhythm and "late" arm. Just a couple of those and I'm usually back in reasonable form and can feel where I went wrong.

Boy have I got news for you. Wait till you find out they just announced it'll be $15.99 going forward!

30550314f044d524962bfa95df8d92716d1b0fe65ee74f20c49e3cc5d086b972.jpg

Could you elaborate a bit on Gurthie's demo and tips? What changes did you make to get the nose down? "Lifting the disc up through the pull", what does that mean to him and you?

@waddball that link is exactly what I'm talking about.

Yeah it was interesting before I was keeping things pretty flat through the throw and when going for distance throw it flat and have it S curve.

Gurthie stepped up and threw some massive very high throws where the disc was high and anhyzering the entire way for like 600 feet. When going for distance I just think to keep the disc nose down and tilted right side down for the entire throw instead of an s curve. To do this at the back of your pull the disc is really low to the ground and on a hyzer angle and where you release it's much higher while having the release be anhyzer at the last second and very nose down, aiming way left of course. Thinking about it and watching that link posted after I do think having your wrist angled straight down may be the biggest key to make this work and the tip I'll give my buddy that's a year in trying to throw further.

Hope that helps, hard to explain with just words.

I had one last week.

I've heard elbow out and elbow up and limit your reachback and rotate around the disc and lead with your elbow and let your off shoulder drive your swing. Etc, etc, etc. And there have been several times that I've made those things a point of emphasis and would throw the disc really well, but not consistently.

Sitting at my desk at work last week, I started holding my arm steady and using my legs to rotating my chair. And how to reach back suddenly clicked. I threw in the field a bit and then I threw a few drivers on the one hole that I like to measure and didn't even sniff my max throws. But I found noticeable increases of practical distance on course. I parked 2 holes that I'd never reached before, I threw past the pin on another hole for the first time ever, I got within putting range for the first time ever on 3 more holes, and had several other holes where I was able to disc down a category for my approach shot.

...and more importantly, my shoulder held up to 90 holes over 4 days where I couldn't even play back to back days without shoulder soreness in the past.

Last edited:
Got my first chance to hit the tennis courts this spring, after seeing the Federer backhand follow thru posted by SW somewhere.

I've been breaking down my throw, doing elbow up and pointed at target (Beto drill, IIRC). No more than a single step, no run up.

I was able to confirm that a one-handed backhand in tennis can be broken down mechanically to the Beto drill as well.

So me practicing hitting one-handed backhands against a wall, with emphasis on elbow up, athletic posture, and shifting weight forward/bracing on front leg, helps me to "feel" the movements while throwing a disc. It's, as far as I can tell, the exact same swing/motion/kinetic chain (minus the runup/x step, obviously).

Thoughts from people who know infinitely more than I do re: this stuff??

Got my first chance to hit the tennis courts this spring, after seeing the Federer backhand follow thru posted by SW somewhere.
Federer is bad this year don't imitate him! :D

I have a hard time to avoid looking ahead and opening up too soon. To correct this bad habit one thing that helps is to imagine I'm hitting a ball with my disc like if I have a racket or a bat.

Could be wrong about this, but I think I've read about people talking about feeling the weight of the disc...almost like it's being pulled through the throw zone....and the "delayed" feeling.

The weight of the racket, in my mind, helps simulate "staying back" until everything is ready to unspring/unleash at the point of hit.

Sorry if my terminology is wrong or confusing. Hope this makes sense. May try to get a video to illustrate.

He's still dreamy...:swoonsmiley:
Yeah clay was never is best surface and I hope he will come back strong, tennis is still better when he's there.

The backhand analogy is good I think except that the ball is suspended, like waiting on a tee at the desired height so you have all the time in the world to go around place your feet, load the tension and hit it in the direction you want.

Don't even need to click it, that article is legendary.

Sharing it is an opportunity for me to read it. Which I'm doing now. :)

It is an amazingly written article and Federer is a legendary tennis player. There is opinion out there that some of the action sequences in the article were slightly embellished. Sports writing back then was way different then it is now, in the age where everything is available on youtube, instagram, facebook, twitter, and players are more likely to take control of their own narrative rather than letting a sports writer do it for them.

It is an amazingly written article and Federer is a legendary tennis player. There is opinion out there that some of the action sequences in the article were slightly embellished. Sports writing back then was way different then it is now, in the age where everything is available on youtube, instagram, facebook, twitter, and players are more likely to take control of their own narrative rather than letting a sports writer do it for them.
What I briefly sought out earlier then got too lazy for was a video showing the highlights described. I'll try to remember to search for one tomorrow. I imagine someone has done it.