• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What were your big lightbulb moments?

I do concede that there is a difference, for many, between a lay up and soft bid. I guess I rarely lay up, when I do it is a shot to land behind the basket, lol.

I am rarely motivated to watch pro disc golf to help with my game. Their play and mine differ so vastly, it is not often a basis of comparison.

I hope my trophy is better than that board they gave out at Worlds!

I practice and throw the "soft bid" frequently, but there are times when I'm using the maximum target area to try and hope to get up and down. This is most likely going to be something beyond 100'.

I do concede that there is a difference, for many, between a lay up and soft bid. I guess I rarely lay up, when I do it is a shot to land behind the basket, lol.

I am rarely motivated to watch pro disc golf to help with my game. Their play and mine differ so vastly, it is not often a basis of comparison.

yeah, its not a layup. Did one yesterday due to a drop off after the basket but that is rare.

For me, this has been a putting style that has evolved over the course of league this year. I thought it was a 'me' thing. And it just kind of 'happened' when the Rhyno became my #1. Interesting to hear other use the same style.

Most others in league have a much faster putt but if I used their techniques, I'd be 3 putting all day.

Basically:

Carry the briefcase;
Control grip;
Power grip;
Pinch down timing;
Yeti putting grip;
Discraft putting confidence program.

If you were like Corey Ellis and I, you'd 3 step everything like a bawss. Sideways gang woop woop.

You must be looking over my shoulder. That's exactly what I'll be doing, 3-steping like Corey. When I watch him on tournament coverage as this past Worlds, I watch his form specifically footwork. Have a video of him that repeats his form over and over again saved. Need more whip out of the x-step, I'll likely start with the putters in November to work on the Corey 3-step.

You must be looking over my shoulder. That's exactly what I'll be doing, 3-steping like Corey. When I watch him on tournament coverage as this past Worlds, I watch his form specifically footwork. Have a video of him that repeats his form over and over again saved. Need more whip out of the x-step, I'll likely start with the putters in November to work on the Corey 3-step.

Facing forward on the teepad and walking up with a 5 step does not compute with me right now for good accuracy. Feels like it introduces too many variables when you're turning your body that much. You really don't need much hip turn, it's all timing the whip. I start turned sideways, with the right foot in front of the left (closed hips from the start), and keep my feet in their own lanes for the entire throw essentially. I'm only turning my front hip back slightly from setup through the x step because it's slightly back to begin with. I even have masking tape lanes on my floor to practice. 3 step is the way! Love the Corey Ellis-ish style.

Last edited:
Facing forward on the teepad and walking up with a 5 step does not compute with me right now for good accuracy. Feels like it introduces too many variables when you're turning your body that much. You really don't need much hip turn, it's all timing the whip. I start turned sideways, with the right foot in front of the left (closed hips from the start), and keep my feet in their own lanes for the entire throw essentially. I'm only turning my front hip back slightly from setup through the x step because it's slightly back to begin with. I even have masking tape lanes on my floor to practice. 3 step is the way! Love the Corey Ellis-ish style.

Through the stride*

I'm not turning my front hip back during the X-step. That's poor form. Trying not to anyway!

Yes, Brian Earhart has a video on the x-step to 3-step and keeping your feet in their lanes and not crossing. He mentions if you decide to use a 4-step that step must be angled, feels too awkward to me. I'm pretty much sold on the Corey 3-step, and I practice it in the home getting ready for it on the practice field in November. The sideway approach feels more comfortable, and I've been doing it since I started cleaning up my form almost two years ago Standstill to one-step to x-step, and soon Corey's three-step. This morning's rounds on the x-step only were better with more whip on most throws but want it much better. Here's the video of Corey I shared below and have saved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIZ3oZuaz9w

Yes, Brian Earhart has a video on the x-step to 3-step and keeping your feet in their lanes and not crossing. He mentions if you decide to use a 4-step that step must be angled, feels too awkward to me. I'm pretty much sold on the Corey 3-step, and I practice it in the home getting ready for it on the practice field in November. The sideway approach feels more comfortable, and I've been doing it since I started cleaning up my form almost two years ago Standstill to one-step to x-step, and soon Corey's three-step. This morning's rounds on the x-step only were better with more whip on most throws but want it much better. Here's the video of Corey I shared below and have saved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIZ3oZuaz9w

Yep, that Brian Earhart video was what gave me the idea to put some masking tape on my floor to create those lanes haha. I love it. Great little tutorial. Here's the video if anyone is interested and hasn't seen it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_OcQ04rGL8

Thanks for that Corey Ellis vid. Gonna watch this about 4000 times.

lately, the positioning of the step forward out in front with your plant foot.. simon talks about it in one of his videos.

Thanks everyone for the information about the Corey Ellis and Brian Earhart 3-step videos. I watched them last night and am going to give it a try. I haven't been accurate/consistent using a 5-step backhand throw, so maybe this will work for me. One interesting point, in Brian's videos he talks about why the 5-step might cause alignment issues and I'm pretty sure that is what is happening to me. Not keeping both feet on parallel lines.

Thanks everyone for the information about the Corey Ellis and Brian Earhart 3-step videos. I watched them last night and am going to give it a try. I haven't been accurate/consistent using a 5-step backhand throw, so maybe this will work for me. One interesting point, in Brian's videos he talks about why the 5-step might cause alignment issues and I'm pretty sure that is what is happening to me. Not keeping both feet on parallel lines.

2 years ago, my 4-step was trash one year into playing, I could get some distance, but didn't know where the disc was going. After some pain from strong arming decided to buckle down standstill, all of last year 1-step, and now x-step only. Corey 3-step practice field in a few months, to the course next year, and likely will be it for me, it should be easier to keep in control throwing. I'm already exceeding the distance and more consistent with control compared to the trash form two years ago. I like Brian's one-step in the video, if I was to do it all over again, that's how I would train it seems to generate more whip the few times I've tried it.

So this is a course understanding lightbulb moment. I played a course last week that would be described as lightly wooded, and is on DGCR. There are few trees in the actual fairways, so that is aptly described I guess. But many of the fairways were lined with your typical thick and thorny rough. It was so bad, that after 3 stray drives/skips between us, we abandoned the course, deciding to come back in the late fall. Another course played recently had tall grass off the fairways, which too can easily hide your disc forever.

Today, we played Handyman Ace, which is described on DGCR as heavily wooded. In my mind, when I look at courses, I have always thought I preferred light or moderately wooded courses, mostly because the disc-looking-for risk was lower. But I quickly realized that even though it is true most holes here are heavily wooded, the ground level of the woods is actually fairly thinned out, meaning finding discs is pretty easy. It reminded me of some pine woods courses I have seen on coverage--like WR Jackson and Brewsters.

My lightbulb moment was realizing it was not necessarily tight lines or lots of trees I did not like, but having to look for discs that were just off the fairway (whether the fairway was a field or already in the woods) for up to 10-15 minutes at a time. I am actively re-assessing what I want to play, where rough--thickness, prevalence, position, etc is a bigger factor than number of trees, especially in the summer months.

I think that is why I always thought I just didn't like woods DG as much, because I started in eastern KY and WV, where most courses have real thick and often thorny rough throughout the woods--especially courses like Indian Rock and Wine Cellar. But playing a course with reasonably wide fairways, even though right in the middle of otherwise thick woods, BUT with sparse undergrowth, was really enjoyable today. Hitting that one nice flex shot that misses all the trees is really a cool feeling.

So now as I read reviews when traveling (have 2 trips coming up), I will now also focus on this aspect--how thick and prevalent is the rough? I never realized how bad rough can be that borders the edge of fairways on these "lightly" wooded courses. On courses like that, until I can throw better, I almost look forward to getting into the actual woods, because the undergrowth is usually thinner.

One of my top 5 courses is Toboggan, which is way out of my league but the hills are awesome. But it also has THE worst rough of any course I have played. I bet there are hundreds of discs on that course somewhere right this second. 60% of the discs we have lost in the last 2 years have been there, although we have only played it 6 times total. That is with us spotting each other on some of the big downhill shots. Contrasted with Idlewild (also played about 6 times), which is much more heavily wooded, but we have only ever lost one disc there.

Briers can be like razor wire and they don't have to be that thick to be a huge PITA.

So this is a course understanding lightbulb moment. I played a course last week that would be described as lightly wooded, and is on DGCR. There are few trees in the actual fairways, so that is aptly described I guess. But many of the fairways were lined with your typical thick and thorny rough. It was so bad, that after 3 stray drives/skips between us, we abandoned the course, deciding to come back in the late fall. Another course played recently had tall grass off the fairways, which too can easily hide your disc forever.

Today, we played Handyman Ace, which is described on DGCR as heavily wooded. In my mind, when I look at courses, I have always thought I preferred light or moderately wooded courses, mostly because the disc-looking-for risk was lower. But I quickly realized that even though it is true most holes here are heavily wooded, the ground level of the woods is actually fairly thinned out, meaning finding discs is pretty easy. It reminded me of some pine woods courses I have seen on coverage--like WR Jackson and Brewsters.

My lightbulb moment was realizing it was not necessarily tight lines or lots of trees I did not like, but having to look for discs that were just off the fairway (whether the fairway was a field or already in the woods) for up to 10-15 minutes at a time. I am actively re-assessing what I want to play, where rough--thickness, prevalence, position, etc is a bigger factor than number of trees, especially in the summer months.

I think that is why I always thought I just didn't like woods DG as much, because I started in eastern KY and WV, where most courses have real thick and often thorny rough throughout the woods--especially courses like Indian Rock and Wine Cellar. But playing a course with reasonably wide fairways, even though right in the middle of otherwise thick woods, BUT with sparse undergrowth, was really enjoyable today. Hitting that one nice flex shot that misses all the trees is really a cool feeling.

So now as I read reviews when traveling (have 2 trips coming up), I will now also focus on this aspect--how thick and prevalent is the rough? I never realized how bad rough can be that borders the edge of fairways on these "lightly" wooded courses. On courses like that, until I can throw better, I almost look forward to getting into the actual woods, because the undergrowth is usually thinner.

One of my top 5 courses is Toboggan, which is way out of my league but the hills are awesome. But it also has THE worst rough of any course I have played. I bet there are hundreds of discs on that course somewhere right this second. 60% of the discs we have lost in the last 2 years have been there, although we have only played it 6 times total. That is with us spotting each other on some of the big downhill shots. Contrasted with Idlewild (also played about 6 times), which is much more heavily wooded, but we have only ever lost one disc there.

You've discovered there's a big difference between "heavily wooded" and "fairways lined with brush." There are discs on Toboggan that may never be found. Pretty sure a coule of 'em are mine. :eek:

One of the BEST course in my area is Paw Paw park. But its also the WORST. At its peak, in the spring the lines are fun but not too hard and if you are bit off, its no big deal. Then stuff grows! We're talking fields of briars over your head, little shop o' horrors type stuff. You DONT bring your good discs here!

One of the BEST course in my area is Paw Paw park. But its also the WORST. At its peak, in the spring the lines are fun but not too hard and if you are bit off, its no big deal. Then stuff grows! We're talking fields of briars over your head, little shop o' horrors type stuff. You DONT bring your good discs here!

Sounds like fun--8 months a year. :)

I think I would love to play wooded courses out west, which seem to be more conifer dominated.

Do the woods courses in northern MI/WI and even MN have rough rough or is the understory more reasonable? Doesn't it transition to more conifers at some point?

Michigan can be either or. A lot of coniferous mixed in. There are courses that are heavily wooded but have minimal underbrush but others that easily get overgrown. I love those forests with a blanket of needles that cover the ground and keep stuff from growing. Breakers, Shore Acres and Leprechaun Hollows are like that. Hence their popularity. Winstrom Preserve can get a little over grown in the summer but starts to die back in the fall. Winny sometimes needs her bush trimmed, lol.