• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What were your big lightbulb moments?

Played my best round in a long time yesterday, possibly ever--my son kept telling me that I was curling too much and starting my pull before I was planted. So I purposely slowed way down, like a walking motion, instead of my usual x-step at normal speed. It was little more than a standstill really. But sheesh, what a difference. Without curling, and focusing on falling onto my plant foot before I pulled through, my throws were the straightest they have ever been, and about 30' further on average too. I was inside C1 on 14 of my first 17 holes (last 3 I was fairly drained from a long day). Last time I played that course, that number was about 4/17.

So...shots not going as far or straight as you want--slow down and focus on the mechanics you know you should be having.

Interesting. Very curious then regarding the rest of the highlights, as that built it's entire point off of one of them...

Who knows really, the writer of the article I posted seemed to be biased toward sporrs writers being full of BS, lol. I'm guessing the truth is likely closer to the original article. I've seen Federer play and when he was in the zone his play was surreal.

My disc golf season started a couple months ago after taking all of last summer off. I was making sure I stayed slow and controlled and after a couple weeks I was back to my 350 foot Archon throws with 380 max plateau. I decided to enter a technique thread about turning your head in the shot and some posters posted some gifs of pros so I studied them in my best attempts to try and emulate them. It didn't take long to notice I was entering my backswing as I began my x step rather than when my plant foot was crossing in front of my body and I could feel my timing improve. Over the past few weeks I have gained a solid 50 feet of easy distance. By easy I mean I don't feel like I am throwing any harder or putting in more effort, just that my body is more synchronized in my swing. I have even started to overthrow a 390 foot hole with my Archons that I had made it pin high only a handful of times before this season started.

This may be the same lightbulb moment as the post above, but I found out how to get the rear leg pointing sideways as opposed to backwards before the swing. I have tried to work with the lower leg for a long time, but the video below made me realize that the problem is in the hips. It is so obvious now, but what I have been doing wrong is to turn the hips away from the target too early, before the x-step. The solution is just to wait with the turning of the hips, and my rear leg lands naturally in the powerful sideways stance. I have yet to see where this takes me distance-wise, but this has been the biggest improvement in my form for months now. A picture of the problem is attached.

https://youtu.be/u33xKVp2Ma0

Attachments

• Skjermbilde 2021-05-26 kl. 23.16.18.jpg
    Skjermbilde 2021-05-26 kl. 23.16.18.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 47
In light of some other threads about the hips and the floating arm, I focused on that in fieldwork today. But I noticed something else from a couple videos related to the hips: my spine angle. I would have sworn I wasn't tipping over in my backswing, but just by being aware to look for it, I definitely was. Enough to look down and see my nose was at my left foot sometimes.

So, kept my spine straight(er), swung back by turning (not turning + swaying), adjusted to the upright spine by keeping the arm lower, and...obvious improvement. Better angles, easier to repeat, and most of all, a better whip (hand rocketed out and not following through wasn't an option). I think this is bc it's much better to turn around a vertical and fixed axis than to turn around one while it's swaying. Anyway, not huge leaps of distance, maybe 30' or so, but clearly better.

I'm still struggling with lots of things: settling my weight into (and not past) my brace, turning back later so there's a clear pause between the plant and the pocket, keeping the hand on the outside longer, and many other things. But this feels like it qualifies as a lightbulb for me.

I definitely use the finger spring while putting. When I'm missing low, it's usually because I mistime the spring. I can't imagine ever getting to the point where I could add that to a drive and time it right consistently though.

Fan grip users, are you actively adding push with your fingers just before the disc comes out?
I think not.

Nope. The main pressure point when I fan grip throw seems to come from my thumb. My fingers are just along for the ride like springs, but the thumb and wrist do the spinning, but it all happens naturally without me even thinking about it.

Nope. The main pressure point when I fan grip throw seems to come from my thumb. My fingers are just along for the ride like springs, but the thumb and wrist do the spinning, but it all happens naturally without me even thinking about it.

That last line is key. It should happen naturally without even thinking about it. If you grip and swing the disc more like a lever, thumb push and finger spring happens naturally.

Getting my elbow to bend when pulling through has been a definite game changer for me. Really started to sink in last summer over lockdown when I was laid off for a few months and practicing all time. Before I was rounding through with a straightened arm pull.

Right now I'm working on the lateral hips shift that d_evans was talking about in the other thread. There is something there that's got me excited again that's for sure.

The hips lead the throw. I've heard that many times before, now I need to understand and embody it.

Returning after being away for 20 years and again coming to the realization that to score well I don't need to throw every drive as hard as possible and I don't need to try and run every putt!

Returning after being away for 20 years and again coming to the realization that to score well I don't need to throw every drive as hard as possible and I don't need to try and run every putt!

Not running every putt? Bo-ring. I suppose smart in a tournament setting, but nobody I've ever played with has ever been like, "you remember that time Ken layed up? That was sweet." But they always remember the cage hit slow rollers- haha.

On upshot's I tell myself to lay it up just on the other side of the basket.

Stay tuned for even more tips and tricks from a +4er.

x-step, straight pull through close to the body (i was rounding for a long time, still kinda do), laying up outside 20' to prevent 3 putts and then later going for it from inside 40' when i got better from inside 20'.

most recently, using a RH pump during my run up to delay my upper body until after i plant. for a long time my upper body was ahead of my lower body and i was losing a ton of power. still integrating this and still need a lot of field work but it's already having a big impact. (btw, got this idea from Uli's scratch to scratch series)

I like this.

I disagree. The layup should be in front of the basket.

If your confidence range is 20 feet, the diameter around the basket is 40 feet.

If your target is beyond the basket you are cutting your margin of error in half. My target zone is in front of the basket. If the disc moves forward or I go long, I'm likely still moving closer.

I disagree. The layup should be in front of the basket.

If your confidence range is 20 feet, the diameter around the basket is 40 feet.

If your target is beyond the basket you are cutting your margin of error in half. My target zone is in front of the basket. If the disc moves forward or I go long, I'm likely still moving closer.

I will re-disagree. Why not learn to lay up behind the basket? If your confidence range is 20 ft. Why not consistently leave yourself the 20 ft come back? A lay up to the front of the basket has zero chance of going in....a layup TO the basket has a greater than zero chance. :thmbup:

I think my light bulb moments now, are limitations. At my age I occasionally just have to come to the realization that I can not do certain things. Mostly, I am not a "jomez" level players. Some of the "advice" on distance from "experts" do not apply. My joints, muscles and body does not have the range, motion, flexibility to perform some of them.

I think my light bulb moments now, are limitations. At my age I occasionally just have to come to the realization that I can not do certain things. Mostly, I am not a "jomez" level players. Some of the "advice" on distance from "experts" do not apply. My joints, muscles and body does not have the range, motion, flexibility to perform some of them.

I need one of those light bulbs. The bulb should be red, bright, flashing, with a siren, telling me to quit trying to make that throw I can no longer make.

I will re-disagree. Why not learn to lay up behind the basket? If your confidence range is 20 ft. Why not consistently leave yourself the 20 ft come back? A lay up to the front of the basket has zero chance of going in....a layup TO the basket has a greater than zero chance. :thmbup:

Are you laying up or not? If it's a layup, you have decided to attempt to finish with two strokes.

If you want to make a bid or "soft bid" then by all means, don't leave it short.

Are you laying up or not? If it's a layup, you have decided to attempt to finish with two strokes.

If you want to make a bid or "soft bid" then by all means, don't leave it short.

I, by default, define lay up, as a soft bid. Terrain, wind....can occsionally change it to a really soft bid, but I don't intentionally throw short of the basket, on purpose, very often. I might throw a lofty putt, to minimize the comeback. I might throw an anhyzer or nose up putt to do the same. I guess I just define layup differently? :eek: