• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

whats with the registration service charge?

If a TD is not putting significant monetary value on his time, that makes sense. But it seems not to make sense to me for anyone not to put significant monetary value on his time.

Hmm, one alternative would be to charge more for non-online registrations. Charge $30 for online reg (+ the $2 to the service company) and $32 for all other registrations. Any extra money that's made from the non-online signups can go to the added cash, or the TD's pocket as a "service fee."

^^^ What the Enchanter just said. ^^^

When I ran tournaments, I charged day-of registrants an extra $5, pre-pay by checks a $2 fee and PayPal nothing. The fees went into the general event administration fund (and PayPal fees, printing costs, etc came out of if) - details were published. It is not that hard to administer.....just add a fee column to the sign-up spreadsheet.

Encourage the behavior you want by rewarding it......and punish the behavior you do not want. That makes much more sense than what is being done in the OP topic.

If a TD is not putting significant monetary value on his time, that makes sense. But it seems not to make sense to me for anyone not to put significant monetary value on his time.

I think you've indirectly struck on something. People generally don't value other people's time.

That's true, but TDs also get a lot of flack if they DO collect money for themselves. Disc golfers are by and large, cheapskates...look how bent out of shape people get about paying $2-3. If TDs actually turn a profit from their events, some people bitch about it and start spreading the word to other players to not play that guy's events because they're just "rackets" to fill his own pockets or some similar argument. I've seen it happen before, and seen good TDs get fed up with the BS and quit hosting tournaments because of it.

monk.jpg

Kinda off topic but I just learned what some parks in my area charge to allow tournaments to be held and form what I understand it doesn't get the paying party anything for the price. we are talking some $500 to get the permit to throw the event in some places. and some may wonder why the event fee is so much, and why the TD doesn't want to eat the processing fee.

Ours are like $200 but that gets you the park closed and the pavillion. Most just don't bother and move if they have to and most people don't get stupid and try to play during the tourney or just assume it is closed.

6 pages of banter over a 2-3 dollar service charge and 75% of the people in here would buy a $15 dollar disc in the parking lot! Oh yeah, you usually get a free disc in the tourny as well.

We are all definately cheapskates. A day of disc golf and a free disc for half the price of greens fees at a regular ball golf course.

Yea the online registration makes running an event especially something the size of the Lexington Open (200+ players) a heckuva lot simpler.

We recently ran a sanctioned Ice Bowl here that topped out at 86 players most of whom were not pre paid. I about had a stroke getting everyone signed in. So yea paying the extra $4 "convenience fee" makes it alot easier on those running the events.

Yea the online registration makes running an event especially something the size of the Lexington Open (200+ players) a heckuva lot simpler.

We recently ran a sanctioned Ice Bowl here that topped out at 86 players most of whom were not pre paid. I about had a stroke getting everyone signed in. So yea paying the extra $4 "convenience fee" makes it alot easier on those running the events.

Ssshh.. you'll stir up the cheapskates. :D

Players pay for TD's convenience. Odd…

That has always struck me too as odd that TDs charge for players using PayPal and use the convenience line to justify it. Yes, it is convenient to pay by PayPal, but it is more convenient to not plan ahead, show up at the last minute to pay and then complain that the event is starting late (and lots of players will always chose that route if available).

Like I stated up thread: TD's should charge a $5 convenience fee for day-of registrations, a $2 fee for pre-registering by check, and make PayPal free. The money comes out the same (actually the TD comes out ahead and can apply the extra $$ to tournament costs or purse),

.....and they will be rewarding the behavior they want.

How many events do you run a year? Just curious..

If by "run", you mean "solely TD", I have "run" 3 events in my 40 years on this planet, so I guess the answer to your superciliously posed question is 0.075.

If by "run", you mean "be integral (with others) to the planning & execution of", I have "run" in the neighborhood of 35 events in my 40 years on this planet, so I guess the answer to your superciliously posed question is 0.875.

Last edited:
If by "run", you mean "solely TD", I have "run" 3 events in my 40 years on this planet, so I guess the answer to your superciliously posed question is 0.075.

If by "run", you mean "be integral (with others) to the planning & execution of", I have "run" in the neighborhood of 35 events in my 40 years on this planet, so I guess the answer to your superciliously posed question is 0.875.

Not too be specific or anything right.

You bitch about players paying for the TDs convienence but will easily turn around and bitch about the payout and how long it took to register if he didn't do it.

Damn, I am no longer against the fee and would now charge it even if I didn't need to...that's how much Ray has turned me around on it.

1) Your definition of "bitching" is quite loose. I feel sorry for Christy.
2) Please point me to one piece of evidence that I have EVER "bitch(ed) about the payout (or) how long it took to register" for ANY event. I think you will find that task quite difficult.
3) Always happy to spur debate & change folks' minds.

Latest posts