• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

whats with the registration service charge?

Eh, I've only played in 6 events over the past year, so it's not enough to keep me from preregistering and not having to worry about it filling up or getting there early to register. It's mildly annoying, but not a deal breaker for me.

ha you know after you posted that i had to look at your PDGA stats... you seem like you win enough ..:clap: 3rd at am world doubles

Ya look at pecan park about 3 or 4 years ago. Most and I mean probably 95% of the ADV field that I know of and many others didnt get their payout for that year. That POS ran off with all of our money! And thanks by the way. GO BUCKS!!!!!!!

I don't play tournies but that sounds wrong! I do a lot of run/walks 5k's and for those you get a Discount if you register early, you don't get charged more!

I don't play tournies but that sounds wrong! I do a lot of run/walks 5k's and for those you get a Discount if you register early, you don't get charged more!

Ha I register in person for those aswell, mostly just to make sure I get the right size T. I wonder how this is possible though? Its essentially the same type of process.

I would imagine that the walks eat the fees. There is probably a way higher number of people registering so they may get a discount in fees. Lastly they probably have much better sponsorship and do not rely on every last penny to make things work.

These fees are nothing compared with the rip-off that is "Ticketmaster"

Even if a pre-reg fee like $3 magically didn't go to the bank and went 100% into the TDs pocket, so what? I think TDs should be collecting an upfront fee from players for running the event, especially pros who expect more than their money back and don't contribute to costs of running the event. Most TDs I know would still put those $3 fees back in the purse even if they were forced to collect them for themselves. TDs not only lose money on their time running events, they lose money out of pocket they never account for like copies, gas, scorecards, etc.

OK, I haven't played tourney's but I will give you the numbskull fiscal conservative view of this issue. If $2 or $3 times 10 is a huge issue then you should save your money and not play those tournaments. Unless you are really good and KNOW you are going to win enough of the tourneys to pay for all the fees. If you have enough cash to play for fun and the learning experience then go for it. It is kind of like gambling in Vegas. I love it, but only gamble what you can aford to lose.

And if you are just trying to limit how much you are getting screwed financially then you should be complaining about a certain group of people in DC, not at your local disc gold course. Much bigger issue up there.

These fees are nothing compared with the rip-off that is "Ticketmaster"

Even if a pre-reg fee like $3 magically didn't go to the bank and went 100% into the TDs pocket, so what? I think TDs should be collecting an upfront fee from players for running the event, especially pros who expect more than their money back and don't contribute to costs of running the event. Most TDs I know would still put those $3 fees back in the purse even if they were forced to collect them for themselves. TDs not only lose money on their time running events, they lose money out of pocket they never account for like copies, gas, scorecards, etc.

:clap: I've always felt that people make way too big a deal out of a TD not putting every cent that comes in right back into payout. I think it's entirely reasonable for a TD to at least break even on the event and all their expenses, and I have no problem at all with someone taking home a little bit for all the work they do to put on an event.

Yipppee

Hurrah!!!!! People should get paid for their work!! :clap::clap::clap

Oh I agree that TDs should not be expected to lose money. My only gash about the whole thing is the "tacked on" fee. If the tourney reg was $28 then ok, if it is listed as $25 and you get there and end up paying $28 it kind of sucks.

That is my only pony in this game.

I think it stinks that people not only expect but practically demand that TDs lose money in the deal...it is a wonder that people do it.

For online and/or credit card registration----

Every time you use a credit card or debit card, the person at the other end takes a hit and pays the fee. Since tournaments are run at low profit or no profit or a loss, TDs may be inclined not to take that hit.

Same thing with online registrations, and I suppose with paypal.

Now, if you pre-register in person or by mail and pay by check or cash, it oughtta be different.

On the other hand---

At our tournament, we give a discount for pre-registration. Having players pre-registered is much easier on us, in planning the event and especially on the morning-of. (Though a few people inevitably see it as a surcharge for signing up late. Sigh.)

Once a tournament reaches the point that it always fills early, the discount is irrelevant.

I agree that it is a necessary evil. I don't like it, but understand its need better.

Thanks to those that pointed out the cc fees and whatnot.

Here's another TD point of view ...

Anything that makes running the event easier is a good thing. Since online pre-registration automates the signup process in many ways -- It is SOOO much easier on the TD to get advance signups. When i run my one sanctioned tourney of the year, I try to strongly encourage everyone to signup online in advance. I've had about 95% signup online in the past 3 years.

Whenever someone registers, I get an email with all relevant data and can easily update my excel sheet and the PDGA registration list. Furthermore, if it sells out in advance, I can get all the player cards & groupings ready ahead of time and not be scrambling day of. And the $$ can get electronically transferred to my account, or in one lump check versus 72 different checks and lots of trips to the bank. The last thing I want to deal with day of the tourney is accounting for extra $$ from day of registrations.

The only hitch is that its not free. As noted in the other posts, the $2 or $3 is the electronic payment processing charge & can't be avoided, even by paypal. Nobody is making $$ off you except the electronic payment company.

I've had success getting the guy who does my online registration to sponsor the event in the form of free online registration as I feel bad about forcing everyone to pay the $$ to register.... I have seen this in other tournies as well.

The point of pre reg is so the TD can buy things in advanced. Also where im at its 5 bucks extra day of the tournament if you don't pre reg.

I believe I am going to start implementing this policy for the next event that I run. Having everyone pre-register is the way to go, it saves time and money for the TD.

If you don't like the extra charges then mail a check, most TD have no problem with giving you there home address to do this.

Anything that makes running the event easier is a good thing. Since online pre-registration automates the signup process in many ways -- It is SOOO much easier on the TD to get advance signups. When i run my one sanctioned tourney of the year, I try to strongly encourage everyone to signup online in advance. I've had about 95% signup online in the past 3 years.

If it makes it SOOO much easier on the TD, why wouldn't it make sense for the TD suck up that wee fee instead of passing it along to the registering player, thereby making online registration more attractive?

If it makes it SOOO much easier on the TD, why wouldn't it make sense for the TD suck up that wee fee instead of passing it along to the registering player, thereby making online registration more attractive?

3x72=$216

If you are happy with a styrofoam cup with your name sharpied on it as a prize then I would highly suggest this method.

I don't know how the open guys would feel about their Plen-T-Pak of big red for first place though.

I don't know how the open guys would feel about their Plen-T-Pak of big red for first place though.

The top third probably love everyone paying $3 extra & recouping it at payout time. The bottom two thirds, not so much.

Im just saying, if it is SOOO much easier on the TD, why can't he put a value on that savings of effort?

Hmm, one alternative would be to charge more for non-online registrations. Charge $30 for online reg (+ the $2 to the service company) and $32 for all other registrations. Any extra money that's made from the non-online signups can go to the added cash, or the TD's pocket as a "service fee."

Because most TDs aren't throwing tournaments to lose money... its already hard enough to break even the way it is.

Latest posts