• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] What's your favourite disc for a good long hyzerflip?

Qols. I don't find myself throwing hyzerflips with faster discs. If I'm throwing a faster disc, it's in the open and it's not on a flip. I use flips almost exclusively on our tight fairways for lasers, nothing else.

Took too long for someone to mention the Sword, great disc for this. A bit more controllable than the King but when you hit it just right, it's hard to beat a King.

The beat Trespass suggestion is worthwhile too. If you find one in the used bin like I did, pick it up. Much smaller rimmed but the Seer is really growing on me in the control slot. Tons of glide for a small rim. A beat Saint is a sneaky long bomber too, great entry level max D driver. Yeah, Trilogy makes a lot of good ones.

Valk used to be my Innova standby but Innova pissed me off when they snuck a plus rim on some of them. SOLS are fun too.

I'm enjoying the MVP/Axiom suggestions and taking notes. The only thing close I've got is an Insanity which is pretty good, especially as it seasons but I don't have any gyro that can touch the Trilogy elfball glide. Actually my PDGA disc is what, an Inertia? I think I field threw it a couple of times but it's pretty light and flippy. Y'all are making me want to get a heavier one.

If threading/shaving obsticals, mid 160's Star TL thrown at 80% power just to be sure I hit the gap and with more side to side room, max weight Champ Roadrunner. I don't get consistent results with anything faster in that stability range but with a head wind, I still occasionally pull off the same line with my least stable Wraith and it is a thing of beauty. I had one beat to US Wraith that I was consistent with but when I lost it, that was that. No other beat/US Wraith has been consistent for me.

Reptilian Disc Golf Ptero is amazing. I have never enjoyed throwing understable discs but the Ptero just begs to be thrown. Give it a shot when they get stock back up on the site!

Maybe someone already mentioned this, but I'm a big fan of the Discraft Ultrastar, 175g. Only problem is it doesn't fit in my bag.

I haven't really tried flipping my GL Bolt yet, but I like flipping a similar disc, a Pro Katana.

How would you rate the flight? Is it similar to a TL type of disc?

The ptero is like an FD with a concave wing. I believe it is 7*5*-1*1. IME FDs are a little more passive, they like to do what they're told. The ptero likes to fully flesh out that '-1*1' turn and fade, even when thrown on an angle that would cancel out the turn or fade of my FDs. That being said they are both great line shapers. Really boils down to preference, and I could see bagging both. FD is in more plastics.

My furthest hyzer flip throws have been with a 141 gram blizzard boss -- there's a reason Simon threw one over 800', they glide forever. A max weight beat in Destroyer works well for less than ideal conditions, or a newer understable out-of-the-box disc like a Mamba works well also. It's a fun throw but it takes practice to get a good handle on the ideal hyzer angle to get optimal results. If I screw up a hyzer flip it's generally because I don't keep it low enough on a golf shot (get it a little too high and hit a tree limb).

Sorry, just noticed you were asking for Trilogy discs

Last edited:

Latest posts