• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

When Can Curtesy Violations be Called?

giphy.gif

Does anyone else think this kid looks like a 7 y/o Calvin Heimburg? LOL

Before or after the round, scold his ass publicly. During the round..."A player receives a warning for the first violation of any courtesy rule. Each subsequent violation of any courtesy rule by that player in the same round incurs one penalty throw. A courtesy violation may be called or confirmed by any affected player, or by an Official. Repeated courtesy violations may result in disqualification by the Director."

To be flat out honest, if you have already witnessed this behavior and he's still in your league...well..then if it happens again it's your fault.

To be flat out honest, if you have already witnessed this behavior and he's still in your league...well..then if it happens again it's your fault.

My fault? Give me a break. If he shows up again with the same behavior and THEN I do nothing then yes, it is my fault. Sorry I didn't know how to deal with neanderthal behavior the first time. :wall:

My fault? Give me a break. If he shows up again with the same behavior and THEN I do nothing then yes, it is my fault. Sorry I didn't know how to deal with neanderthal behavior the first time. :wall:

Let's say we have everyone gathered together for the informal players meeting before a league round and someone says something - very sexist which in my situation has happened several times and I am looking to put and end to it.

If I'm not understanding the situation correctly I apologize... but it sounds like a guy is saying something about another player, the first time it happens of course I wouldn't blame the guy running the league, but next week if that same player is still mouthing off I would just figure the TD doesn't care and I would leave. So sure..it may sound harsh..but it's 100% your fault to keep the league family friendly. I expect the same from any weekly mini. Imop telling someone to stop talking sexist should be easy to handle, just say "dude..it's a family friendly event, if you can't support that we would ask you to leave." Always say "we" and never "I" because the "I" makes it personal. Now the guys showing up with a cooler filled with beer, smoking pot, etc, if your league doesn't support that, those guys can be very hard to deal with. Get all the rules on paper, club websites, etc, etc.

I don't know if anything has transpired, but you may choose to engage him directly before anything else happens. Seek him out to explain the situation.

Cut the **** or else.

AGAIN I apologize for having no clue how to deal with Neanderthals and not doing it correctly the first time.

This is why I am here. Looking for advice - not to be brow beaten.

AGAIN I apologize for having no clue how to deal with Neanderthals and not doing it correctly the first time.

This is why I am here. Looking for advice - not to be brow beaten.

I think it's the sexist talk that at the least fired up me a bit... because I've seen guys talk **** around the few ladies that show up at some of the minis I played in the past. And you have to nip it in the butt right away, the longer you wait the harder it gets to stop and the damage is already done. So many ladies say the biggest reason they don't come out to minis, club events, is the fear of being the only lady that shows up.

"Looking for advice..."

Have a public document detailing all rules, regulations, for the event. This includes stating common courtesy to all players, nothing less than that will be tolerated. Comply or don't show up. Make sure it's available online and in print form. Hand it out to all players at the meeting. Read the important bits out loud.

Dealing with disc golf thugs. It's inevitable you're going to run into these guys from time to time. Never confront them alone. Get one (or more) of the popular players by your side as a witness and ask them to stop whatever it is that's not appropriate. Always say "we" never.. "I". Always emphasize family friendly event, etc, etc.

"Sir, this is a family friendly event, some of the players have told us you were using inappropriate language. What you do on your own time is not a concern, but while you are participating in a club event we ask that you refrain from that behavior. The last thing we want to do is stop you from being a part of our club, we're glad you're here, but we do ask that you comply with our family friendly policies."

Chances are they're are going to comply right away, but if they escalate it, take it personal, etc, etc, you have to be prepared. That's why it's good to have some back up, perhaps name a few "club officials" (helps them feel part of the group), who can help out as well. Running a club, mini, etc, means you have to be comfortable with a bit of crowd control from time to time. Definitely get those club officials on board asap, that will be a huge help dealing with social issues when they happen.

I did not want to start a whole new thread about this so I posted it in what I thought was the most appropriate place.

What should have I done?

I was playing in a tournament a few months ago on a card of 4 ppl. It was my first tournament. We get to hole 15 in first round and player A says to me on the sly, "We got to watch player C, I dont think he is being honest about how many shots he takes." I said ok and that I would pay more attention. A few seconds later, player B comes closer to us while player C is teeing off. Player A then says the same to player B about player C. Anyway, Player C's drive on 15 hits a tree. Three throws later we are gathered at hole 16 tee pad and C when asked how many shots he took says "3". I immediately spoke up and said I thought it was a 4 and went through his shots one by one. He says something like, "you're right, sorry." Because of COVID, we all were on the same card again for round two. Players A,B, and myself tell each other to try and watch C closer. So at least 5 or 6 times in second round the dude tries to turn his 5's into 4's and his 4's into 3's. Should I or one of the others have reported this guy to the TD? Once or twice I can see as being an honest mistake. This was no honest mistake.

I did not want to start a whole new thread about this so I posted it in what I thought was the most appropriate place.

What should have I done?

I was playing in a tournament a few months ago on a card of 4 ppl. It was my first tournament. We get to hole 15 in first round and player A says to me on the sly, "We got to watch player C, I dont think he is being honest about how many shots he takes." I said ok and that I would pay more attention. A few seconds later, player B comes closer to us while player C is teeing off. Player A then says the same to player B about player C. Anyway, Player C's drive on 15 hits a tree. Three throws later we are gathered at hole 16 tee pad and C when asked how many shots he took says "3". I immediately spoke up and said I thought it was a 4 and went through his shots one by one. He says something like, "you're right, sorry." Because of COVID, we all were on the same card again for round two. Players A,B, and myself tell each other to try and watch C closer. So at least 5 or 6 times in second round the dude tries to turn his 5's into 4's and his 4's into 3's. Should I or one of the others have reported this guy to the TD? Once or twice I can see as being an honest mistake. This was no honest mistake.

The player should have been reported. It's possible the player has trouble keeping track of their score....but if that was the issue, they should have said so after the second warning. The player was cheating.

I would have thought that after his second or third attempt he would know we were on this and cut it out.