• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

When To Dive into Tournaments

DiscTosser

Par Member
I'm a new player, but I get out on the course a decent amount and (very) occasionally I'll hit like 2 over on an average 18 hole course. Honestly I am usually 5 or 6 over. I want to try a tournament out sometime for fun, but I don't want to be the laughing stock of the Missouri Disc Golf Community. How will I know when I'm ready to try a tournament or two?

Thanks!

You're plenty good enough to play in a tournament.

Tournaments with their slower pace are a different beast than casual rounds, so don't be surprised to see your scores be a little higher at first.

It's never too soon. Tournaments are a lot of fun, and for the most part, you have to worry about ridicule more for shooting too well for your division than too poorly.

I once had a tournament round where I shot 20 over par. It was a rough day on the course, but was still fun. Don't be intimidated, go for it!

Whenever, that's why there is rec/novice/int divisions, although you can play open if you want. You will only be the laughing stock of town if you play angry and throw a big fit after bad shots. Enjoy it out there!

Whenever, that's why there is rec/novice/int divisions, although you can play open if you want. You will only be the laughing stock of town if you play angry and throw a big fit after bad shots. Enjoy it out there!

I only get really mad when I throw my beloved TeeBird badly. It should know better.

And thanks for the advice everyone!

Definitely the sooner the better. Best thing you can do for your mental game is to get out and play competitive golf, you'll learn things like course management and patience real quick.

Just jump in. If you are unhappy with your first tournament results and thought you played your best you can always hold out for awhile before playing another tournament.

Where you at in Missouri?

Take our word for it. Play the tourney. If you find you don't like the pace, or the atmosphere, you can always stick to casual play. A good place to get your feet wet is a local mini, or one day tournament. Start in the lowest division they offer. Learn some rules before you go, but don't be too worried about them. Most of all, just have fun! I think you'll enjoy it.

Last weekend we had a player that started playing just 3 weeks ago.
It was rough, but they learned a lot from the other players.

I waited 7 years to start playing tournys.. You just need to pull the trigger get out there and try em all I went from novice to advance in 2 years

I would probably play a couple of local leagues first. See if you enjoy the competitive side of DG. It will also be a good place to get an idea from other players on what division you should play in for your area.

AND ALWAYS REMEMBER NO ONE LIKES PLAYING WITH A SPAZZ OR A DOWNER. Having fun while at a tournament is the most important factor to playing well.

If you have a competetive itch, get out there. I like to see it like "swat" golf. Many, many play casually, very few compete. Nothing wrong with loving the game from a casual perspective. Just go into the experience with having a good time as your goal.

I'll repeat what the others have said ...

Start now.

Best way to get over tournament nervousness is simply to go play. Have fun. Be a positive, fun addition to your card. Have a pretty good knowledge of the rules (mostly for your own play and because other newer players may not know them well). Put a rule book in your bag.

Good luck!

Read the rulebook. I can't tell you how many people out there think they know the rules based purely on hearsay. You don't have to be a Nazi, but you should know the difference between the actual rules and what somebody heard some pro say this one time.

I started playing tournaments this year. played in the club's Ice Bowl and had a lot of fun. I have played 4 tournaments since then. Didn't finish very well but i have learned so much that will help me going forward. i'm scheduled to play 6 tournamnets in the next 6 weeks. i'm sure i'll be a better player afterwards.

Last weekend we had a player that started playing just 3 weeks ago.
It was rough, but they learned a lot from the other players.

:thmbup: I hope she comes back to play more. It was awesome. I think she enjoyed the wizard and shark I gave her for the second round. I'll have to play with her next time I see her playing Peter Pan.

My first time ever on a course was in a tournament, so it is never too early to start! I second all of the above, if you don't act like a db you will have fun, meet great people and probably learn a ton.