• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

When To Dive into Tournaments

Yeah, just dive in. Most folks are pretty laid back, particularly with new players. I'd also advise trying to get to know folks in the local scene. It makes everything a ton more fun when you know folks. I'm a St. Louis area player, too...hitting up that link to the StL club is a good idea.

If you're ever up for a round at Watson Trail or Schroeder (Manchester area) around lunchtime, I work in that area and would be happy to meet up if I can. Just PM me here!

Everyone's capable of shorting terrible, so you won't get made fun of. We have all been there.

We have a kid who started 6 months ago and he played terrible first round only to come back to the middle of the pack second round. That's a victory IMO.

I play my worst rounds every tournament. I'll shoot par the day before and +15 at the tourney. Don't be intimidated, sign up for rec and have fun. Most players at that level are very friendly and nice.

Playing my first real tourney (only AR's and BB's until now) on Saturday... I'm really nervous, but still excited.

People that have confidence in their shots will own tourneys.

Don't be afraid of anybody but yourself.

Just my advice

In my opinion, the sooner you start playing tournaments, the sooner you will become a better player that no one will laugh at. It really is amazing how much I have learned and improved simply from playing in tournaments.