• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Where are you going in 2023?

My instant review of Harmony Bends:

7n2zzj.jpg

Me and the boys loved it! Looks like my review put it back to #1!

Where to begin... I have been ramping up my travel activity since 2021. Already this year, I've made a loop from Chicago to Ft. Wayne, Cuyahoga Valley NP, Pittsburgh area, Maryland, West Virginia, New River Gorge NP, and reunited with Idlewild on the way home.

I'm going to try to do an overnight to Peoria/Quad Cities sometime this summer, and probably another overnight with my oldest son, who is more interested in car camping than the disc golf, perhaps to western Michigan (might finally hit Flip City).

At some point I'll probably do an overnight to Madison, WI and stay with my aunt to hit some more central Wisconsin courses.

In the fall I'll do another major road trip. I think it is probably going to be Centralia, IL, Harmony Bends in MO, and then the Kansas City area. However, I'm really wanting to do a Michigan/Southern Ontario trip. I'd like to visit Toronto as well as Bruce Peninsula National Park, and maybe the Blake's Cider Orchard... and I wouldn't mind a little time in upstate New York, too. But once again, I'm trying to fit too much into a 4 or so day trip, just like I did a few weeks ago :).

Where to begin... I have been ramping up my travel activity since 2021. Already this year, I've made a loop from Chicago to Ft. Wayne, Cuyahoga Valley NP, Pittsburgh area, Maryland, West Virginia, New River Gorge NP, and reunited with Idlewild on the way home.

I'm going to try to do an overnight to Peoria/Quad Cities sometime this summer, and probably another overnight with my oldest son, who is more interested in car camping than the disc golf, perhaps to western Michigan (might finally hit Flip City).

At some point I'll probably do an overnight to Madison, WI and stay with my aunt to hit some more central Wisconsin courses.

In the fall I'll do another major road trip. I think it is probably going to be Centralia, IL, Harmony Bends in MO, and then the Kansas City area. However, I'm really wanting to do a Michigan/Southern Ontario trip. I'd like to visit Toronto as well as Bruce Peninsula National Park, and maybe the Blake's Cider Orchard... and I wouldn't mind a little time in upstate New York, too. But once again, I'm trying to fit too much into a 4 or so day trip, just like I did a few weeks ago :).

how was new river gorge np

how was new river gorge np

I guess it depends on what you are looking for/expectations. Is it in the same league as say, Yellowstone NP? No, not really. However - I didn't expect it to be. I had a great time. Really cool views (especially when combined with DG at Raven's Ridge, where you can see the bridge and gorge from the course - super cool). I did several hikes with fantastic views and since I started really early and it was a bit rainy, I saw some wildlife that likely would have been scared off by more people (a box turtle, for one). Some cool rhododendrons in bloom that we don't have in Chicago. Hawk's Nest State Park to the north is also really neat. Some of the hikes I did were VERY strenuous, rocky, and slippery. Wouldn't recommend taking young kids on some of them, but really cool terrain.

If I had more time, the bridge walk on the catwalk under the New River Gorge Bridge is supposed to be cool, and whitewater rafting in the New River is also very popular. I did about 4 hikes, saw some great views, and played some disc golf. It was a quick stop but well worth it. Swif****er General Store in Lansing, WV is a cool little place and right by Raven's Ridge.

I guess it depends on what you are looking for/expectations. Is it in the same league as say, Yellowstone NP? No, not really. However - I didn't expect it to be. I had a great time. Really cool views (especially when combined with DG at Raven's Ridge, where you can see the bridge and gorge from the course - super cool). I did several hikes with fantastic views and since I started really early and it was a bit rainy, I saw some wildlife that likely would have been scared off by more people (a box turtle, for one). Some cool rhododendrons in bloom that we don't have in Chicago. Hawk's Nest State Park to the north is also really neat. Some of the hikes I did were VERY strenuous, rocky, and slippery. Wouldn't recommend taking young kids on some of them, but really cool terrain.

If I had more time, the bridge walk on the catwalk under the New River Gorge Bridge is supposed to be cool, and whitewater rafting in the New River is also very popular. I did about 4 hikes, saw some great views, and played some disc golf. It was a quick stop but well worth it. Swif****er General Store in Lansing, WV is a cool little place and right by Raven's Ridge.

great review thank you very much i had my eyes on it for a bit now

great review thank you very much i had my eyes on it for a bit now

Also had some great pizza from Pies and Pints in Fayetteville. If you have any specific questions once you plan a trip feel free to PM me.

I just drove down 66E and 77S not far from there but wanted to get to Charlotte before that rain on Sat so I didn't stop. Next time though, thx for mentioning it!

Considering an impromptu trip on Friday and Saturday to St. Petersburg, so I should be able to hit and do Picnic Island, Tocobaga, and probably one other course. Two rounds a day due to the extreme heat/humidity, plus drive time (3.5 to 4 hours each way from Ft Laud). I've played almost everything else worthwhile, and with the exception of Picnic, I'm trying to stay west of the bay. Weather is going to be much better there than here.

Got to play Tocobaga, Picnic, and then re-visited Coachman (hadn't played there since '17, as opposed to Cliff which I visited in '20). Weather was fantastic short of one Friday thunderstorm after I got to the hotel.

Now rainy season has officially hit and I will get these reviews up within the next week or so, then I'll be quiet for a while.

You can't go wrong with the Canyons or Fairfield. Dellwood gets pretty busy so the earlier you get there the better.

Since you'll be in the Joliet area I'd recommend Highland park too. Awesome wooded course and will be much less crowded.

Shorewood park is a Steady Ed course originally. Also lots of fun. Old school style course with most holes around or under 200 feet. Community park is worth a look too.

I haven't played most of the ones around Fairfield yet. I've heard good things about Fel-pro over by Crystal Lake though.

Thinking about going to the Quad Cities to play one of my favorite courses this week...
Camden II...

;)

and probably a couple others while in the area..

Played Deer Lakes near Pittsburgh again today, it's still fabulous and had a lot new longer pins positions.

since then I've played Vineyard in Cincy 3.0, Armco in Ashland KY white 3.0 (blue is even better done 9 years ago) and Valley short in WV 4.0 in the sane day and then Dry Creek 3.5 and Scrapyard 3.5 south of Charlotte yesterday and now today short Hornet's Nest 4.5. I'm almost 60 and am exhausted. Stumpy and/or Diavolo for the 3rd time (in my top 10) later this week if I can recover. Dare I squeeze in The Crossing and/or Keeley along the way?

Thinking about going to the Quad Cities to play one of my favorite courses this week...
Camden II...

;)

and probably a couple others while in the area..

Good time to go as most courses should be in fantastic shape with the grooming done for last weekend's A tier - The Rumble.

I'm wanting to pop down to play Snowstar for the 1st time soon but I have a feeling it's in rough shape. Just sent a message to my buddy looking for update.

This years the year...

According to Udisc, Camden II is set up very long...
Hope it that way when I get there.
7200 feet, par 62.
Not alot of deuce opportunities for me.

Looking forward to the beat down.

Gonna leave the cart in the car, which also means really scaling back on discs in the bag.
Forecast looks hot, hot, hot which means lots of h2o.