• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Where are you going in 2023?

I've got the day off Friday and am looking at possibilities for a day trip. Looking to bag at least one quality course plus some other dg.

I may have a family event Friday evening. If so, I'd need to limit the round trip drive time to 5ish hours. If not, I could extend the radius a bit. Planning to leave well before sunup Friday morning.

Right now the top contenders are:
Peoria: 5 hr round trip. I haven't played Wildlife Prairie Park, Northwoods Blue, or the one on the golf course.
Milwaukee: 3.5 hr round trip. Haven't played anything here. Looking at Brown Deer and Dretzka. Stoney Creek looks good, but it's farther north.
NW Indiana: 2 hr round trip. There are a bunch of average 18ers that I haven't played, but afaik I've played all the good ones. Best holes played to hours in the car ratio though.

I'm pretty much ruling out Michigan for this trip. I've got family in the SW part of the state, so it makes more sense to link MI course bagging with trips to visit them.

Where should I go?

I've got the day off Friday and am looking at possibilities for a day trip. Looking to bag at least one quality course plus some other dg.

I may have a family event Friday evening. If so, I'd need to limit the round trip drive time to 5ish hours. If not, I could extend the radius a bit. Planning to leave well before sunup Friday morning.

Peoria: 5 hr round trip. I haven't played Wildlife Prairie Park, Northwoods Blue, or the one on the golf course.
Milwaukee: 3.5 hr round trip. Haven't played anything here. Looking at Brown Deer and Dretzka. Stoney Creek looks good, but it's farther north.
NW Indiana: 2 hr round trip. There are a bunch of average 18ers that I haven't played, but afaik I've played all the good ones. Best holes played to hours in the car ratio though.

I'm pretty much ruling out Michigan for this trip. I've got family in the SW part of the state, so it makes more sense to link MI course bagging with trips to visit them.

Where should I go?
I've only thrown Dretzka. Solid course, but I have a feeling that a couple others on that list are superior. I would predict you'd have dretzka at the 3.75 level. It's 27 hole will a mix of everything, but mostly parkstyle. It lacks an icon hole imo.

Where should I go?
Northwood Blue is a terrific course. You've played Northwood Black? Sunset Hills [golf course] is a waste of time, IMO.

Brown Deer and Dretzka are kind of the same....same park system, same park style runs. Fun and worth the combo. I liked Sandy Knoll and Stoney Creek as a combo, more though.

I'm off next week and think I may finally make the trip up to Honeybear Hollow. If UDisc is to be trusted sounds like new owners are content to let it waste away so I need to play it before its not worth the trip.

I'd also hit up the courses in nearby Peru and maybe Kokomo on my way home if time allows

Northwood Blue is a terrific course. You've played Northwood Black? Sunset Hills [golf course] is a waste of time, IMO.

Brown Deer and Dretzka are kind of the same....same park system, same park style runs. Fun and worth the combo. I liked Sandy Knoll and Stoney Creek as a combo, more though.
Peoria might be looking good with this gem on the way there.

NW Blue would be first on the list for me in Peoria (I've played NW Black, Meggido, and McNaughton). I hear you on Sunset Hills. I've played DG on golf courses before and it's generally pretty lame.

If I end up going the Milwaukee route, I may do the Sandy/Stoney combo (time permitting). I think I'd looked at those courses before and decided they weren't good choices to play with the family. Friday will be a solo trip.

Peoria might be looking good with this gem on the way there.

We intended to play that one in June but there were no baskets up. It looks like they had some kind of fair either before or after we went. Walked the first couple holes looking for baskets and it did look like it had some potential.

That said I'd do Sandy/Stoney personally. Johnson park in Racine is pretty sneaky good too. Not Sandy/Stoney but en route.

I very much enjoyed Northwood Blue and Wildlife Prairie I found to be pretty fun. Can't speak to the others though.

We intended to play that one in June but there were no baskets up. It looks like they had some kind of fair either before or after we went. Walked the first couple holes looking for baskets and it did look like it had some potential.

That said I'd do Sandy/Stoney personally. Johnson park in Racine is pretty sneaky good too. Not Sandy/Stoney but en route.
Looking at the pictures of Three Sisters, I'd be expecting something in the 2.5-3.5 disc range. No way is that course a 5. Part of me wants to play and review it as a public service. Peoria is the longest drive though.

Where should I go?
milwaukee is just kinda bland its like madison/dane county courses yes its great they have a ton of dg but it lacks any personality or uniqueness other than city park style

agreed with wolfhaley i would rather play sandy/stoney

Looking at the pictures of Three Sisters, I'd be expecting something in the 2.5-3.5 disc range. No way is that course a 5. Part of me wants to play and review it as a public service. Peoria is the longest drive though.
I could prob meet ya in Peoria one of these days, it's a 5 hour round trip for me as well and I need to knock out a bunch there. I've only played NW Black, McNaughton, Megiddo, and Eureka Temp.

I'm off next week and think I may finally make the trip up to Honeybear Hollow. If UDisc is to be trusted sounds like new owners are content to let it waste away so I need to play it before its not worth the trip.

I'd also hit up the courses in nearby Peru and maybe Kokomo on my way home if time allows
I played Beaver Brook in ME in the summer, my second Steady Ed original and the First course in New England. It is also at a campground and it doesn't look like much has been done lately.

Play them while you can!!

I could prob meet ya in Peoria one of these days, it's a 5 hour round trip for me as well and I need to knock out a bunch there. I've only played NW Black, McNaughton, Megiddo, and Eureka Temp.
Sounds like a plan. Always a good time throwin a round with ya!

Looking like Sandy/Stoney is the choice for Friday.

From my math I have 89 reviews this year and my goal is 100. I didn't think I was gonna get there but I'm going to be in Salt Lake City this weekend anyway so I'm going to stay an extra day and try to hit 11 new courses in a single day. Wish me luck!

Sounds like a plan. Always a good time throwin a round with ya!

Looking like Sandy/Stoney is the choice for Friday.
I saw the sunrise in Gary
at
Marquette Park disc course
and at the Hidden Lake,
I lost a Firebird
Oh, I went to
Riverside
where I played like hell
And by that noontime bar light,
cold beer went down so well

20231027_074604.jpg

20231027_073938.jpg

I ended up calling a weather related audible and went to NW Indiana instead of Wisco. Marquette Park really did not live up to the industrial decay hype that you expect from Gary. Really pretty park. All three courses were of the mostly open, park style variety.

60 holes by noon (with a bunch of backtracking) and I was beat, but satisfied.

Little bit of a brag, but on a recent work trip to Omaha, I was able to hit 18 new courses in 3 new states. I am quite happy with how much I was able to play while still getting 40 hours of work done. Turns out that Sioux City, Iowa is incredibly hilly. I played a couple nine-holers that had some insane elevation changes and my legs weren't too happy about it.

Boutta go up I-35 from KC to Ackley, IA with not sure how much time available on Friday. Hope to snag 2 or 3 quick 9-ers on the way up.

In the midst of planning one more trip this year over Thanksgiving week (plus a few days). Most likely headed to Texas as I haven't played Dallas, Austin, San Antonio or Houston yet (got a bunch of courses wishlisted and some campsites options picked out). Depending on weather also working on a Florida alternate trip (since I had such a fantastic time last year).

Last edited:

Latest posts