• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Prodigy] Where can one buy prodigy disc? Who can find them for 15??

Local retailers in Charlotte are selling them for $15-16 a piece. Limiting purchases to 1 or 2 (each mold) per person. I got a D1 and D4 today and will throw them tomorrow.

I've been searching for an open thread about the Prodigy discs as throwers.

Two (or three) threads have been closed for straying from the topic. As the discs are making it into people's hands, should a thread open about their flight characteristics? Reviews?

Does one exist? Prerube?

I've been searching for an open thread about the Prodigy discs as throwers.

Two (or three) threads have been closed for straying from the topic. As the discs are making it into people's hands, should a thread open about their flight characteristics? Reviews?

Does one exist? Prerube?

I've thrown three different D1's, and they all flew completely differently. One was really overstable (like a new C-PD2), another was like a new XCaliber (slightly overstable), the other was like a broken in Destroyer (slightly understable).

I've thrown three different D1's, and they all flew completely differently. One was really overstable (like a new C-PD2), another was like a new XCaliber (slightly overstable), the other was like a broken in Destroyer (slightly understable).

I was really hoping not to hear that... Innova kills me with inconsistency...

They're a new company so maybe it should be expected, but I hope they can get Discraft consistent. I pre-ordered 2 of each mold for $18 each from our local vendor:

Grass Roots Disc Golf. (Shameless plug!)

I was really hoping not to hear that... Innova kills me with inconsistency...

They're a new company so maybe it should be expected, but I hope they can get Discraft consistent. I pre-ordered 2 of each mold for $18 each from our local vendor:

Grass Roots Disc Golf. (Shameless plug!)

Yeah, keep in mind that two of the ones that I threw were true prototypes. So, that may be the reason for the variation.

Just picked up a D1 and D4. Had a hard time finding a lighter weight (I like 169g personally on my drivers) and these were 170 and 172 (actual weight, which most of the one's I weighed were all over their marked weight by 1 and even up to 3 grams heavier...none were less than weight posted). They both have a slight tacky texture and are a little more supple than a Champion plastic. My D1, which I believe all of the D1's are the same color, is blue and it has marbling on the outer rim which is pretty cool looking in this plastic. Yellow has some marbling in the flight plate, again pretty neat-o. Gonna be honest, don't know whether to throw these or store them away.

I've had my D1 and D4 for about a week and have had a chance to throw them. Both are 174.

The D1 was overstable, but not as overstable as I expected. The wind was pretty low, so I didn't get a chance to throw it into stiff wind to see how it would do, but it carried a lot further than, say, my force before it started fading out. More like an s/ds destroyer.

The D4 was pretty much a katana with a slightly smaller rim. I expected something significantly less stable than that. Frankly something like a Nuke SS. Once I got it dialed in, it definitely went far.

I've got a lighter D1 on the way so I'll be interested to see how it compares.

Even grip eq thinks this is a disaster of a launch.

Yes! I dont understand the hype of two molds in one plastic. I think theyre coming out of the gate weak. At least do a putter, mid, fairway and a driver in two plastics if youre gonna do it! Thats what im gonna do haha

still no thread on reviews of flight? I don't want to start one, because I'm paranoid I'll get blasted for not knowing about a thread in existence somewhere else.

I'm sensitive like that.

still no thread on reviews of flight? I don't want to start one, because I'm paranoid I'll get blasted for not knowing about a thread in existence somewhere else.

I'm sensitive like that.

Hes lurking... Waiting for you to create a thread..

I'm sensitive like that.

Im sure 3P will just merge it in a day anyway so we can talk about it here and save everyone some trouble.

I threw a 174 marked D1 and D4 saturday. Plastic was very nice, pretty identical to Prodiscus premium, which is great, a grippier opto imo.

D1 i was really hoping for a pd2 type OS disc, but its not. Its about like he said above an S/ds, force, really beefy boss type flight. Wind was maybe 15mph, had little to no turn, when thrown from a slight hyzer in that wind. Alao has a pretty healthy fade.

D4 was titties, imo. Like a well seasoned destroyer, nice S shaped flight, never flipped and didnt try to fade, except in the straight 15mph headwind. Its a verrry long disc, reminds me of a FR esp nuke

I felt them this past week and they do feel great. Grippier than Crzytal, way prettier than Champ (maybe except the new stuff) and kind of gummy/tacky. It's kind of like Opto Soft, if that existed. I don't think that it does, but it should. If I threw super fast drivers I'd want to try one out, but I don't, so I won't. $20 does kind of seem like the new standard for first run/protos/LE stuff. Kinda steep, but the stocks surely will sell for less.

There's just so much stuff coming out now that's it hard to keep up.... some of it good, some of it not so much. I bet when they make regular production available they will be very nice and priced competitively. Kind of a shame, IMO, to just release the super high speed stuff first. Gotta break the ice somehow, I guess.

If the plastic stays the same, mids and putters are going to be $$$ in that stuff. Tacky, grippy and durable..... yeah, I want a Roc and a BB Aviar in that blend.

BTW, what are they calling the plastic? I haven't seen any same for it. Just Prodigy plastic?

golly im in love with the d4! It is the flippiest driver ive ever had (brand new). It turns no problem even at 177.9G! They did a wonderfull job.

golly im in love with the d4! It is the flippiest driver ive ever had (brand new). It turns no problem even at 177.9G! They did a wonderfull job.

compare it to a Roadrunner or a katana? for those who dont' ahve one

Maybe they are more expensive than Innova because they are made in Sweden, shipped a long ways on a boat, sold to another company, marked up again, then shipped to a distributor/retailer, marked up again, and then finally sold to a disc chucking fool. For all that $15-$20 isn't really that big a deal. It's like anything else; if you want to be at the front of the line you pay. If you are patient the price will probably come down a little bit. But traditionally imported discs cost a little more.

Maybe they are more expensive than Innova because they are made in Sweden, shipped a long ways on a boat, sold to another company, marked up again, then shipped to a distributor/retailer, marked up again, and then finally sold to a disc chucking fool. For all that $15-$20 isn't really that big a deal. It's like anything else; if you want to be at the front of the line you pay. If you are patient the price will probably come down a little bit. But traditionally imported discs cost a little more.

What company are you talking about?

Fairly sure that these Prodigy discs are made in the USA. Down in GA. I'm also fairly sure that the $20 Cryztal is made in the USA and equally as sure that the Roc 3's that stores were charging $25 and up for were made in the USA. Your point about paying more to be at the front of the line is well made, though. That's what's being charged for here.

To your other point, I find it remarkable that Latitude 64, which does exactly what you stated is able to produce an extremely high quality product and bring it in at a price point at or below what some domestic producers are able to do. They pay the same, or more, for raw materials and labor BTW.

Latest posts