• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Whippet Evolutution?

HB Mike

Bogey Member
I have 6 Whippets, 2 new DX, 1 11X KC, 1 90's max weight and 2 150 class also from the 90's. The 3 old whippets have notched wings like my old Vipers while the 3 newer whippets have wings that are TeeBird like. The 3 old Whippet's also have the "big dog" stamp. I'm curious when the change took place and how it changed the flight.

I'm not sure when they changed over to the Whippet X. It was somewhere between 5-10 years ago. At any rate, the Whippet X has a blunt nose and is more overstable than the old Whippets. Since you want a Whippet to be overstable, it was an improvement over the old disc.

Edit: I'm thinking that the early KC Pros had the blunt nose as well, which would put the first use of the Whippet X mold back a few years before I was thinking. I really can't remember as I had switched to the Banshee by then and really didn't pay much attention to the Whippet. At any rate, I'm pretty sure the DX Whippet was still the sharp nosed mold for a bit after the KC Pro discs came out.

Last edited:
Whippit X

Thanks three Putt.

Considering that the old Whippet has the same profile as the Viper, I'm surprised that the newer X wing is more over-stable. I'll have to take them both out for a spin.

Thanks three Putt.

Considering that the old Whippet has the same profile as the Viper, I'm surprised that the newer X wing is more over-stable. I'll have to take them both out for a spin.
Yeah, the Whippet X wing looks a lot like the JLS wing, and just from that it wouldn't make any sense for the Whippet X to be more overstable. Look at the nose, though. The blunt nose on the Whippet X has to be the key to that.

Nose

You're right, the X does have quite a snoze on it.

Attachments

• DSCN2932.jpg
    DSCN2932.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 67
  • DSCN2933.jpg
    DSCN2933.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCN2934.jpg
    DSCN2934.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 71
When do you guys use them and not, say, a Firebird?

My Whippet DX wasn't hooky, it was straight then a hook at the very end.
You can learn to use a Firebird for most all Whippet shots. If you like throwing full on all the time then it's probably easier to use a Whippet for shorter shots.

I have an old one at home with a 1993 tourney stamp on it. That thing is a meat hook. I use it as a headwind disc when nothing else in my bag will stay down.

imo old mold whippets were more overstable than any of the more recent configurations. the "special edition" whippets (early kc pro plastic) were the most overstable of them all. whippets were my go-to disc for most everything until they changed the mold.

I'm reviving this thread because I just got an old circle stamp DX Whippet that is absolutely awesome. I used to throw them all of the time until they all became the Whippet X mold. These are becoming increasingly hard to find, and DX plastic doesn't last forever. IMO it's best driver into a head wind for shorter shots, better than ANY midrange disc. The Whippet X is so overstable that it just dies as soon as it slows down a little bit. Is there any slower speed driver anybody can recommend that is similar to these older Whippets? I have an 11x Eagle X that is similar, but doesn't always hook as much at the end of its flight. Firebirds just aren't the same either.

I'm not very familiar with Whippets, but every description I've ever read of them makes me think they fly very similarly to a Blaze.

it's worth a try. i like my evo blaze but i mostly use it for flex flick/anny approaches and things that need to go left. thumbers, tomahawks, probably rollers in summer. i have a dx whippet but i haven't thrown it yet. everything i know is just hearsay. a blaze in the suregrip plastic will be dirt cheap, so why not give it a shot. mine certainly has a lot of lateral movement to the left, not sure how the suregrip plastic molds up.

Someone who has experience with both molds can correct me if I'm wrong, but the kind of shots you are talking about are the ones I use my Tridents for. The trident has a driver feel but it is slow and short and has a blunt nose so I use it where people might use an OS mid.

Latest posts