• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Who has played the most courses in their home state?

New Question:
who averages the highest rating for total courses played???

Just find someone who has only played one course which is very highly rated, like:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=23351

But still, it would be cool if this number was computed. Might be too hard on the database though. (Maybe compute it nightly?)

I was curious, so I computed mine manual. Of the 88 courses I've played with a rating, the average was 3.35.

18 in Virginia where i currently call home but my home state is NY where i have played 0

New Question:
who averages the highest rating for total courses played???

But still, it would be cool if this number was computed. Might be too hard on the database though. (Maybe compute it nightly?)
The problem with this stat, (aside from it being a moving target which changes every time a course we've played gets reviewed) is that it would be effectively meaningless. Nearly all of us have played those sub 3.0 courses near home which would drag our averages down.

right on, but it also shows who is in it for the cream of the crop and who's hittin courses like cheap hookers. personally i try to hit the better courses when im outa town. who doesnt? this could reflect that, esp when the majority of total courses played are out of casual driving distance.

^i was saying better courses which is subjective, but so are the course ratings, so i guess it evens out just for this sites sake..

The problem with this stat, (aside from it being a moving target which changes every time a course we've played gets reviewed) is that it would be effectively meaningless. Nearly all of us have played those sub 3.0 courses near home which would drag our averages down.

Yea, for sure there is as much noise there as signal.

What might be cooler, actually, is a stat for how many 4.0 and above courses someone has played. (Possibly a different threshold, requiring a min number of reviews, etc.) At least to me, a 4.5 or 5.0 rating is more meaningful coming from someone who has seen a lot of top courses. (E.g. mashnut's positive comments in the Selah Ranch thread have more impact on me than the 5.0 reviews by people who haven't played outside of Texas.)

Last edited:
It's a lot easier to just go by how many of the top 10/50/100 someone has played, it's a lot easier to figure out and less likely to change based on a couple reviews bumping a course over or under a specific threshhold. Either way, there's a little bit of an issue with regional bias. Not enough traveling players have populated the review system so a 4 isn't the same everywhere. Some areas like Chicago tend to have inflated ratings due to the plethora of mediocre courses, and some areas like Charlotte have depressed ratings because all the very good courses get rated down compared to the best courses in the area.

VA here, It been my goal for years to play all of VA but they just keep popping up, and then there are the private ones that are sometimes hard to find out about. Of the 83 that show up on here I'm slacking and have only played 78. I hope one day i'll get them all.

I might also be in the running for a couple other states but they are easy because they are so small. MD DE NJ

It's a lot easier to just go by how many of the top 10/50/100 someone has played, it's a lot easier to figure out and less likely to change based on a couple reviews bumping a course over or under a specific threshhold. Either way, there's a little bit of an issue with regional bias. Not enough traveling players have populated the review system so a 4 isn't the same everywhere. Some areas like Chicago tend to have inflated ratings due to the plethora of mediocre courses, and some areas like Charlotte have depressed ratings because all the very good courses get rated down compared to the best courses in the area.

I feel like this has exactly the same problem: a course can easily move from #96 to #104 (or vice versa) based off of one review. It's just that the magic threshold is hidden. In fact, it could be worse because a course's status can change based on the way a different review gets counted. If we really want something stable, I'd go with something like:

sum over all played ranked courses of 1/(1 + (course ranking/35))

This weights higher ranked course in a smooth way -- higher ranking courses are weighted more heavily without a threshold effect. (The 35 value is pretty arbitary.)

right on, but it also shows who is in it for the cream of the crop and who's hittin courses like cheap hookers.
Well, you could just as easily say who's out looking for the hidden under-appreciated gems and who's out just taking other people's word for it and hitting the tourist traps.

personally i try to hit the better courses when im outa town. who doesnt? this could reflect that, esp when the majority of total courses played are out of casual driving distance.
Depends on the nature of one's trip. If I had limited time to kill on a particular trip that I was taking for some other reason, I'd probably go hit the better courses too. If I'm traveling just to play disc golf, I might make a quality course a destination, but I'll probably hit some pedestrian ones between Point A and there if they're reasonably along my line of travel.

I dedicated an entire day in early April to hitting six small town 9 holers in Western Iowa. None of them singularly were worth the gas and time investment vs. going to one larger quality course, but collectively they made a nice trip. I had absolutely no waiting on the tee boxes, and I'd say four of them were solidly 2.5 or better.

Last edited:
I've only played 2 in my home state of NH, but I've played 10 in Maine.

87 of 212 in California = 41.2%, which I guess doesn't include the three dead courses I've played. Going on a road trip up to the Beaver State Fling in a few weeks, so I'll have to add a few to that total.

94/148 total Ohio courses 63.5%

78/83 Total 18+ hole courses in Ohio 93%

Not bad but there is a guy, Danhyzer who pisses all over that

When I lived in Indiana, I had played 100% of the pole hole courses, both of them.

When I lived in Arkansas, I had played 100% of the pole hole courses, all three of them.

Does that count?

Latest posts