• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] why are RC3's so pricey?

people are paying that price because they haven't figured out you can get a CMD2 in the exact same plastic for $18 shippped.

omg a roc3 goes really straight and fades and it's in this awesome new champ plastic...

omg a cmd2 goes really straight and fades and it's in this awesome new champ plastic.

I find my RC3 to be a tad bit more stable than my CMD2. But that's because it is one of the super old gummy opaque ones and I have beaten the **** out of it.

just stupid if you ask me. I think 40 is reasonable for some of the really nice ones, but 60+ come on man. I simply will never buy anything from those folks on principle.

I am losing faith in the Marketplace, hence the new signature. . .

I second this...I don't even look at the marketplace anymore. People trying to get what they paid for a disc and add shipping on top of it...which I can just go to DGC and get a good priced disc with free shipping....or worse, people in the marketplace upping the price of disc more and more like their initiating a new huge state tax increase.

The reason this sport was such an interest to me before was the cost to fun comparison. Very low cost, and a lot of fun. Now in order to get good plastic from most people, the upped cost and not being able to purchase the plastic is making it less fun to try out new plastic.

I don't understand the craziness either. I had some ROC3s and offered them for $20 + shipping. Sold most. The ones I have left are all in the mid 160s so decided to hang on to them in case I end up liking them. If I dicide not to throw them, the unused ones will end up as a CTP most likely.

I heard that putting one in your bag raised your player rating by 10 points. It's the same as the horsepower increase you get by putting racing stickers on your car.

I put one in my bag and my rating went down 3

From a collectors point of view, I definitely agree with the CE comments. I just don't see the return on investment for a $50 first run modern disc. I learned the hard way with first run X-cals.

From a throwers standpoint, I can see the desire to have a cool stamp, I'm all about the weird plastic in my bag. I just can't see paying 50 for a "thrower" that doesn't have a solid track record, ie. 8x, 9x, CE, 10X, etc.

I have yet to throw an RC3 and I figured it may be that amazing/worth it, seems more like FR/Stamp hype from what I've gathered so far.

Perhaps this will stimulate RC4 production? or change innova's production/ stamping policies in general, the Totem Teebirds went off fairly well to say the least. I feel like they'd be living under roc's if they don't gather something from this crazy inflation curve were seeing with aftermarket sales of "limited availability" plastic lately...

FR Buzzz i'd presume as far as collectability (price) is concerned. I'm sure there are some older smaller production run discs (jupiter comets or Cam Todd Challengers) and some newer production run discs (FR TI SS or FR Z nukes) etc. that are more "rare" from a number-based definition... I'm sure another more-discraft informed member can provide you with a real answer.

I heard just being on the same card with someone who has one raised it 3 points. That's the aura they have.

I want to go see Fleetwood Mac this coming spring. There are three possible venues I could do this at, but shows at all of them are sold out. Of course, I can go to Stubhub and pay someone (more like some agency) who already has the tickets 3-10x their face value for theirs, and if I do that, I've made an assessment that the experience will be worth the hyper inflated price.

Now, because I do that are Fleetwood Mac going to get Christine McVie to fly back from England and rejoin the band just for the show I attend, and proceed to put on the greatest performance of their lives? Umm, not likely.

But people paying buku bucks for RC3's are buying into that mentality.

*cough* Peter Green *cough* :mad:

kinda like the dg guy, I will never knowingly buy anything from him, nothing like an ambassador for the sport trying to get rich off of it, selling for fair market prices still allows for profit, no need to bra about how much you are going to sell new plastic for, get real dude it doesn't help the sport any

one thing that i've noticed with the proto and big birds and i guess even the japan and gcc ones is that the disc and stamp color combinations were all pretty sweet. i've noticed it a lot with other manufacturers also, but it appears that they are starting to pay a bit more attention to making "pretty" discs. not saying that's gonna make regular production stamped stuff any more collectible but they are more visually pleasing. i picked up a few of the cotton candy blue recycled saints and the stamps were a red that made for a really sharp looking color combination. the same way noobs grab fly dye stuff because it looks neat on the shelf, people are gonna grab the sharp looking color/stamp combo over something plane jane if it's the weight and plastic they throw.
It is really good looking plastic. Like candy!
As far as collectability goes, it's a Roc & as such it will always be worth the coin $$ in the future to someone.
Here are a couple of my recent finds:
orangecranberry_zpsb35e5760.jpg

I wont spend more than $25 each. You just gotta be in the right place at the right time!

Rc3's are expensive for the same reason that the Cubs will never win a World Series...(and I am unfortunately a cub fan).......people pay the prices for the tickets/discs. And in the end the ones who payed the extra cash end up leaving Wrigley disappointed or leaving the course unfulfilled and scratching their heads saying....."wow, that disc flies alot like a buzz, wasp, whatever........

Stop paying tickets for cubs games and they will win a world series

Stop paying 20 + for an rc3 and they will stay at 20

I thought the hype had died already. I bought a few from my local PIAS 2 weeks ago. I went back in there this past weekend and they had almost ALL of the ones I didnt buy still sitting on the shelf for 25$ a piece.

Over hyped and over priced maybe?
But I was pleasantly suprised at how gummy and flat they were. I dig the feel of this plastic and I'm glad I dished out the $40 for it.
I will also pay more for any 1st run disc, because molds degrade with time and tolleraces increase. So add up all the plus' to this disc. I would say it's one of the few times the disc lived up to the hype.

Can anyone name a disc (or anything) that was hyped as a collectible almost as immediately as it came out, and actually panned out to be one years later?
Excellent point!

Bad investments people have made over the years:
• Special "Limited Edition" baseball cards
• Princess the Bear and other Beanie Babies
• various Pokemon and other attack game trading cards
• a plethora of As Seen on TV "Limited Edition" plates, figurines, 24K gold plated commemorative coins,* and probably anything else from the Franklin Mint.**

* those really crack me up - people buying "valuable" coins that aren't even legal tender!

**Mint as in, They're making a mint getting idiots to pay for crap they commisioned some dirt cheap manufacturer to produce in Asia for pennies a piece.

/ thread drift

Last edited:
Excellent point!

• a plethora of As Seen on TV "Limited Edition" plates, figurines, 24K gold plated commemorative coins,* and probably anything else from the Franklin Mint.**

* those really crack me up - people buying "valuable" coins that aren't even legal tender!

**Mint as in, They're making a mint getting idiots to pay for crap they commisioned some dirt cheap manufacturer to produce in Asia for pennies a piece.

I agree - things that are sold as collectibles have little value because people buy them to hold onto them, not thinking thousands of others are doing the same.

Well-preserved specimens of objects most people disposed of are where it's at.

Excellent point!

So what your saying is don't invest in collector stuff they have made way too much of to actually be collectible.

hmmmm

methinks the 10000 proto stamped roc3s could suffer from this problem.

Latest posts