• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why do people hate disc golf?

So many causes for this reaction :
- We have to admit the DG community has a reputation for doing the types of things Noill Golf listed. A few years ago I went to the VA State Frisbee Championship, I thought I had traveled back to the late 60s.
- Far too many huckers run around shirtless, blaring music and profanity
- DG opens up many parks that otherwise would just be woods. But then some DGers (and others that roam the now open woods) leave trash, write graffiti all over the place, cause erosion, etc.
- some courses are put where they interfere with or endanger other park users

But ...
Like many have said generally it's a matter of non-DGers not bothering to look past the few to see the benefits of DG.

In general, it comes back to the DG community to self regulate the few and IF we want broad acceptance we can't just dig in and demand respect without earning it.

As an aside, when I grew up hiking you could drink from any stream in the mountains. Now, they are all contaminated with giardia. That happened becasue hikers didn't take the time to dig a small hole, away from the water, and bury their crap.

Giardia is not caused exclusively by humans not burying their waste.

https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/giardia/

Giardia is caused by the feces of any human or animal that is infected being introduced into the water/soil/ food. Due to the fact that humans typically seek medical treatment when they have a bad case of the trots as opposed to going camping/ hiking, I think it is safe to assume that most of the giardia in the wilderness hiking areas comes from animals not humans. While there may be some lazy humans that don't bury their waste away from water sources, I am comfortable stating that NO animals do.

Giardia is not caused exclusively by humans not burying their waste.

https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/giardia/

Giardia is caused by the feces of any human or animal that is infected being introduced into the water/soil/ food. Due to the fact that humans typically seek medical treatment when they have a bad case of the trots as opposed to going camping/ hiking, I think it is safe to assume that most of the giardia in the wilderness hiking areas comes from animals not humans. While there may be some lazy humans that don't bury their waste away from water sources, I am comfortable stating that NO animals do.

Given that there was no giardia in the 1960s, where do you think it came from? Would the supposition be that animals transposed themselves from a clean environment to a contaminated one and then back? The same as Europeans brought small pox and other diseases from the old world, they brought giardia too. Now, you can make the argument that infection of water sources was inevitable, and I'd be hard pressed to defend that. But we went along for a couple of hundred years with uncontaminated water sources prior to the introduction of giardia. I will conceded the point that that contamination from livestock and humans in the East could have spread West through wild animal transfer.

All of this leaves aside the major point, a hiker whining about disc golfers destroying the wilderness when it isn't clear that hikers are somehow better, or are stewards of the wild.

Given that there was no giardia in the 1960s, where do you think it came from?

Us not being aware of does not equal it not existing. A quick google search reveals it was discovered in the 1600s. (Around when microscopes were invented) I would assume it has been around longer than that.

Latest posts